BarfOMatic

Re: EVgo DC chargers were horrible until ...

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:22 am

Or even more appropriate... "Hey, look ma!! EVgo finally took their head out of their a$$ !! "

SparkE

Re: EVgo DC chargers were horrible up until the beginning of 2018. They're still not perfect, but improvement is being m

Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:02 pm

It looks like OP changed the title of the thread a few days ago, so I went back and changed the "Subject" lines of the past dozen or so posts (those after Aug 10th) so that the new thread title is reflected.

If am posting this informational note to that users of those modified posts can change them back to the old Subject (if they choose to) - you only have to go back a page or two to find the old subject. The reason I changed a few subject lines is because a "reply" will mirror the subject of the post it refers to, and the thread title has been changed.

But anyone is free to set the subject of their own post(s), so that's why this post.

rgmichel

30 minute charge limitation at EVgo, and handicap parking

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:58 pm

I did some more long distance driving this summer, after last summer's splurge, and I still find the silly 30 minute limitation, and difficulty in reaching the full 80% of my battery capacity when I use EVgo's DC fast chargers. EVgo still seems to be locked into servicing low range LEAFS rather than high range Bolts.

Also, I am finding that handicap drivers think that the charging spots are good places to park. I was hauled out of a Hannaford supermarket because my car was blocking a "handicap" spot, when in fact I was in a legitimate EVgo charging spot. Of course, I just moved my car while the handicapped guy entered his van, but those green hatched lines look like hatched lines in a handicap spot to some people.
Ashford, CT
Bolt owner since July 1, 2017

GetOffYourGas

Re: 30 minute charge limitation at EVgo, and handicap parking

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:03 pm

rgmichel wrote:I did some more long distance driving this summer, after last summer's splurge, and I still find the silly 30 minute limitation, and difficulty in reaching the full 80% of my battery capacity when I use EVgo's DC fast chargers. EVgo still seems to be locked into servicing low range LEAFS rather than high range Bolts.

EVGo increased the session limit to 45 minutes a while ago. BUT you have to sign up for the new plan, or they keep you on the old one with the 30 minute session. That second detail was poorly advertised, IMO.

And of course EVGo is set up for Leafs more than Bolts - they have a partnership with Nissan (via their no-charge-to-charge program) but nothing with Chevy. Nissan has helped subsidize many of the EVGo chargers that we have today, and I for one am grateful for it. I don't fault them for gearing their network towards Leafs. Looking forward, though, they really need to up their game or Electrify America is going to quickly eat into their business.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

paulgipe

Re: 30 minute charge limitation at EVgo, and handicap parking

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:46 am

GetOffYourGas wrote:
rgmichel wrote:I did some more long distance driving this summer, after last summer's splurge, and I still find the silly 30 minute limitation, and difficulty in reaching the full 80% of my battery capacity when I use EVgo's DC fast chargers. EVgo still seems to be locked into servicing low range LEAFS rather than high range Bolts.

EVGo increased the session limit to 45 minutes a while ago. BUT you have to sign up for the new plan, or they keep you on the old one with the 30 minute session. That second detail was poorly advertised, IMO.

And of course EVGo is set up for Leafs more than Bolts - they have a partnership with Nissan (via their no-charge-to-charge program) but nothing with Chevy. Nissan has helped subsidize many of the EVGo chargers that we have today, and I for one am grateful for it. I don't fault them for gearing their network towards Leafs. Looking forward, though, they really need to up their game or Electrify America is going to quickly eat into their business.

And not just EA, Recargo is nearing its first multi-kiosk station with what they call "high power". And unlike EA Recargo is placing CHAdeMO and CCS ports on each kiosk--not just one like EA. Nissan and CHAdeMO are still a player.

BTW. We just stopped at an EVgo station in Visalia for a truly quick charge (30 mins). It worked flawlessly and gave us more than enough juice fro the drive home. The trip to Fresno was just out of the Bolt's range for the return to Bakersfield.

Paul
Paul Gipe
2017 Bolt LT with DCFC, leased 11/09/17
2015 Nissan S with QC, leased, returned
2013 Chevy Volt Premium, used, sold
L2; ClipperCreek HCS-40; Jesla; JDapter Stub
www.wind-works.org

BarfOMatic

Re: Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:41 pm

SparkE wrote:I would also appreciate some additional detail. When ChargePoint 'forum user' says "all ChargePoint DCFC stations on I-5", does that mean all the stations in the CEC plan, from Yreka in the North (near the Oregon border) down to Santa Clarita in the south?

If so, there appear to be 16 new ChargePoint stations on I-5 in the CEC plan - all 16 will be active by October 2018?

Well, it's Sep 26th (almost "by Oct") and the ChargePoint app/map doesn't show any new DCFCs along I-5 in Calif ("new" meaning "since 2017 when the 50 kW unit was installed in Redding"). Also, many, many (?most?) of the public 24 kW DCFCs along northern I-5 and southern US-101 have been taken off-line.

Any comment(s) from ChargePoint ?? I have gone to their web site to look for official notices on the status of these stations...

GetOffYourGas

Re: Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:06 am

BarfOMatic wrote:Well, it's Sep 26th (almost "by Oct")

Obnoxiously, in marketing speak "by October" means "by October 31st". I agree, that's not what the word "by" means, but that is how it is used. Still, that only gives them another month to meet this goal.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

rgmichel

30 minute charge time now 45 minutes at EVgo

Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:51 pm

Just the other day I used EVgo to charge under my new Chevy plan for Free Fast Charging at EVgo, and found the 30 minute limitation has been upgraded to 45 minutes. This is an improvement that is quite welcome. I didn't know that there was an improved 45 minute limitation and that you had to change your plan to obtain it. Why don't companies communicate with us properly? I hate that. Anyway, I am now at a 45 minutes, which is good.
'
Ashford, CT
Bolt owner since July 1, 2017

mwk

Re: EVgo DC chargers were horrible up until the beginning of 2018. They're still not perfect, but improvement is being m

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:16 pm

So I responded to an email from EVgo and received a $175 credit for charging my Bolt. I tried it for the first time at a station at the mall near my house. I expected it to disconnect after 45 minutes, but it went for the full 60. I guess this freebie is considered a "Plan" in their parlance, so you get the full hour. Regardless, it worked well. It was interesting though, to watch my car throttle down the charge. I was sitting in the car listening to "Sandyland" on my XM radio and eating lunch, and watching the charge meter in the car. I had just below 1/2 charge. It started out at 48KW, then as soon as it hit the half way mark on the charge meter, it started dropping off fast. By the time it got to the 3/4 mark, it was down to 24KW.

keijidosha

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:47 pm

mwk wrote:... I expected it to disconnect after 45 minutes, but it went for the full 60...

Session length for California plan participants depends on time of day;

"Membership and Pay as You Go drivers can charge up to 45 minutes at DC fast chargers. As a bonus, those with an EVgo Membership plan can charge up to 60 minutes during “off-peak” hours (charges that initiate between 8:00 pm and 5:59 am local time). Level 2 charges have no time limit."

Not sure if this applies in all states.
- 2009 BMW MINI E > 2013 Honda Fit EV > 2017 Chevy Bolt EV
- 2013 Ford C-max Energi > Tesla Model 3 (Reservation) > Waiting for the Y or ???

Return to “Batteries and Charging”