New ABB 150 kW charger in Fremont

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkE

Lucky store, 5000 Mowry Avenue, Fremont, CA 94538 (there's already a photo in PlugShare)

I did a super-quick google search for an announcement/specs on ABB's new DCFC, but didn't see one...

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/02/28/abb-evgo-partner-install-first-non-tesla-true-level-4-dc-fast-charger-us/

EVgo and ABB yesterday unveiled the first “High-Power” fast charging station for EVs in the US. Interestingly, it was unveiled in Fremont, California. {...} EVgo and ABB opted to install the high-power charging station in the parking lot of a very normal-looking Lucky Supermarket on Mowry Avenue, as the area has the highest traffic in the EVgo network.

Kicking things off, this new HPFC is capable of a maximum charging rate of 150 kW, which is already 3 times faster than the most comparable non-Tesla DC Fast Charging station installed in the US today.

I'd love to hear from a Bolt owner about how quickly this charger provides current to a Bolt with 10-15% SoC ...

;)

Let's see, if I left tomorrow morning and recharged in Paso Robles, I can apparently make it to Mowry Avenue in Fremont with just that one stop!

You have an extra bedroom SparkE?

BTW: how do I change the default to always check the box in "Notify me when a reply is posted?"

DOn't believe it is open to the public yet. Still in development/research based on some articles I read.

siennared said:
DOn't believe it is open to the public yet. Still in development/research based on some articles I read.

Please post links. There is a picture of 'the new' ABB charger on PlugShare, at that location (the unit has a 'PROTOTYPE' tag on it in the PlugShare photo).

This is from the link you posted

Even though the new high-power charging station uses the CCS standard, it won’t be able to be tapped by the public right out of the gate, as it’s only going to allow “testing of EV research platforms at 150 kW initially,”

Also from this link https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/first-150-kw-charger-in-us-established-on-teslas-doorstep/

However, that would assume the public could use a 150-kW or 350-kW charger. Right now, they cannot. Not only because EVgo has not opened its new charger to the public, but also because the current crop of non-Tesla EVs are not capable of handling that much charge at once.

For the time being, the 150-kW charger will be used for research purposes.

siennared said:
This is from the link you posted

Even though the new high-power charging station uses the CCS standard, it won’t be able to be tapped by the public right out of the gate, as it’s only going to allow “testing of EV research platforms at 150 kW initially,”

Also from this link https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/first-150-kw-charger-in-us-established-on-teslas-doorstep/

However, that would assume the public could use a 150-kW or 350-kW charger. Right now, they cannot. Not only because EVgo has not opened its new charger to the public, but also because the current crop of non-Tesla EVs are not capable of handling that much charge at once.

For the time being, the 150-kW charger will be used for research purposes.

Thx for the links, siennared !

An author's implication that "it isn't available to the public because no car today can charge at 150 kW" is pure BS. (Note, the cnet article did say that the charger is not OPEN to the public -and I did not see that article before, so again, thanks.) Any vehicle that CAN charge at a rate over 50 kW should be able to benefit from a DCFC that is able to supply *up to* 150 kW.

The Bolt can charge (supposedly) at up to 80 kW, and there is at least one other (non-Tesla) vehicle that can charge at higher rates. (?Is it the newer Soul? which can charge at 100 kW?). So I was interested in actual results. (Note that '150 kW' really isn't enough info, because 100 Amps at 'up to' 1500 V really doesn't help charge current vehicles super-fast. 300A at 'up to' 500V, on the other hand ...)

Anyhow, thx for the 'EVgo says it isn't open to the public yet' link.

The Bolt can charge (supposedly) at up to 80 kW, and there is at least one other (non-Tesla) vehicle that can charge at higher rates. (?Is it the newer Soul? which can charge at 100 kW?). So I was interested in actual results. (Note that '150 kW' really isn't enough info, because 100 Amps at 'up to' 1500 V really doesn't help charge current vehicles super-fast. 300A at 'up to' 500V, on the other hand ...)

Anyhow, thx for the 'EVgo says it isn't open to the public yet' link.

Next time, I drive by Fremont I was planning to stop by and check it out. Hard to gather from these links, what is actually going on.

Thanks for the original links. The more we know, the more we are informed about this crucial infrastructure that we are collectively dependent on.

It looks like you can reach out to EVgo and 'ask' them to be able to use the charger... I guess they consider requests on a case-by-case basis somehow.....

I don't understand why people THINK the Bolt will charge at 80kw.

I'll bet anyone a box of donuts it is 60 kw.

I guess ya'll never noticed the on dashboard charging meter maxes out at 60 kw.

I guess ya'll missed some of the videos at press events where Bolt EV project engineers are quoted as saying the max charge rate is currently 60 kw.

60 and 80 look a lot alike.

The 80 number some people are relying on (hoping on) was almost certainly a typo.

As of today, the prototype sign is still up over the charger, and the handle is secured with a metal zip tie type band to prevent removal.

Back