Charging issues when not 'topping off'?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I've had my Bolt going on 3 weeks now. The first night I got home from the dealer and plugged it in on my L2 (previously had a Spark EV). After that I only did my charging at work. I topped off at work on Friday, and then didn't plug in again until I was back at work.

At work we have a 3 hour charge policy, so I'm not always able to top up within that time. Over the next two weeks I used about 140 kWh of battery over ~650 miles, and at about 115 kWh used I started seeing reduced charging rates.

I think the Bolt has a 7.2 kW onboard charger and the L2s at my work are capable of 6.6 kW at least. When I was at ~50% charge and plugged in at work, the car reported it would take over 10 hours to fully charge. I saw this same ~1.5 kW charging rate across multiple L2s in my area, including my one at home.

Over the weekend I topped off and when I plugged in at work yesterday morning I completed charging what I had used (~3.5kWh) in less than an hour.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Back