Charging from a 240 VAC 14-50 outlet

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkEVPilot

How do I connect an AV Turbo Cord L2 EVSE to the 14-50r, 240 VAC at Frazier Park? MichaelLAX - you posted what you did but I would like the details so I know what I need to purchase.

Thanks

You need a cable ('extension cord', 'pigtail', 'Adapter' - whatever you want to call it) that has a NEMA 14-50P plug on one side (that you plug into the wall), and a NEMA 6-20R receptacle (i.e., 'socket') on the other end (into which you will plug your TurboCord Dual 240V/120V or TurboCord 240V, which have NEMA6-20 plugs).

Since both NEMA 14 and NEMA 6 have two 'hot' wires and one ground wire AND you are plugging a device that won't pull over 20 amps into a circuit that should be rated for 50A (40A continuous), it is a completely safe conversion (so long as the gauge of the wire in the cord is sufficiently robust). Note that NEMA 14 also has a 'neutral', but that will just be ignored (not connected) to the NEMA6 side.

You can buy one here : https://evse-adapters.myshopify.com/collections/other-adapters/products/nema-6-20r-to-14-30-14-50-14-60-universal-adapter I am NOT recommending this particular item. I don't know if it is good quality or not. I am providing the link simply so that you can see an example of what I am talking about. I am fairly certain that there are other manufacturers. An advantage of this one is that they claim that it can be inserted into 14-30/14-50/14-60 receptacles (because the un-connected 'neutral' prong is the one that changes form on each of the different-rated receptacles, and the NEMA6 plug doesn't use it) - AND since the 6-20 will pull fewer than 30/50/60 amps, it should be safe.

In case the URL gets munged, it looks like ('exploded' version) :

http evse-adapters.myshopify.com collections/other-adapters/products/nema-6-20r-to-14-30-14-50-14-60-universal-adapter

SparkE said:
You need a cable ('extension cord', 'pigtail', 'Adapter' - whatever you want to call it) that has a NEMA 14-50P plug on one side (that you plug into the wall), and a NEMA 6-20R receptacle (i.e., 'socket') on the other end (into which you will plug your TurboCord Dual 240V/120V or TurboCord 240V, which have NEMA6-20 plugs).

Since both NEMA 14 and NEMA 6 have two 'hot' wires and one ground wire AND you are plugging a device that won't pull over 20 amps into a circuit that should be rated for 50A (40A continuous), it is a completely safe conversion (so long as the gauge of the wire in the cord is sufficiently robust). Note that NEMA 14 also has a 'neutral', but that will just be ignored (not connected) to the NEMA6 side.

You can buy one here : https://evse-adapters.myshopify.com/collections/other-adapters/products/nema-6-20r-to-14-30-14-50-14-60-universal-adapter I am NOT recommending this particular item. I don't know if it is good quality or not. I am providing the link simply so that you can see an example of what I am talking about. I am fairly certain that there are other manufacturers. An advantage of this one is that they claim that it can be inserted into 14-30/14-50/14-60 receptacles (because the un-connected 'neutral' prong is the one that changes form on each of the different-rated receptacles, and the NEMA6 plug doesn't use it) - AND since the 6-20 will pull fewer than 30/50/60 amps, it should be safe.

In case the URL gets munged, it looks like ('exploded' version) :

http evse-adapters.myshopify.com collections/other-adapters/products/nema-6-20r-to-14-30-14-50-14-60-universal-adapter
Thanks for the useful information. I just checked Clipper Creek and they have L2 EVSEs that will connect to a 14-50 socket or a 14-30 socket depending which option you choose. Frazier Park has a 240V 14-30 outlet. I was trying to figure out how to add charge at Frazier Park if I wanted to make a "stress-free" run from the Central Valley of California to Los Angeles in my Spark EV. It would be an easy drive in a Bolt EV.

350px-NEMA_simplified_pins.svg.png

Note that there are 'locking' (push in and TWIST. indicated with an 'L') and 'regular' versions of these plugs (non-compatible)!!

Big table at this link : https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0d/NEMA_simplified_pins.svg

I did not seem to receive an email notice of your private message.

SparkE seems to have covered the topic well for you.

I originally had the Clipper Creek LCD-25P and two adapters from evseadapters.com, which was overkill for my Chevy Volt.

Now with my Bolt EV I still hope to install the LCD-25p in my garage, when I get 240v in there, and carry the AV TurboCord for 120/240 volt access on the road.

The difference is I needed to add a 6-20 to 6-30 adapter because the evseadapters I purchased are for the Clipper Creek and now can work with the AV TurboCord, which I picked up inexpensively from Amazon.

Check with shorepower.com to get one of their access cards but my recollection is that the kiosk inside was not working and I had to call Shorepower for authorization.

They are mainly 18-wheeler oriented but EV friendly and they never called back the next day for my credit card info to even bill me.

Any other questions?

Good hot food to go and TV room here and ironically the lowest priced economy 87 gas I ever found (just over the line in Kern County).

My wife has a 240-volt NEMA 240 VAC 14-50 outlet in our garage to charge her Tesla S vehicle. I would like to use this outlet to charge a 2017 Chevrolet Bolt using the same 14-50 outlet, and I know that I need an adapter to connect the charger from the Bolt to the 14-50 outlet. Grateful for confirmation of the types of adapters which can be used.

djbiggs59 said:
My wife has a 240-volt NEMA 240 VAC 14-50 outlet in our garage to charge her Tesla S vehicle. I would like to use this outlet to charge a 2017 Chevrolet Bolt using the same 14-50 outlet, and I know that I need an adapter to connect the charger from the Bolt to the 14-50 outlet. Grateful for confirmation of the types of adapters which can be used.

First look would be this:

https://store.clippercreek.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=14-50

There is also a Juicebox that directly supports a NEMA 14-50.

I also support the advice about the Clipper Creek.

You could have your electrician install a 2nd outlet and an A-B switch, so that you are not always plugging it in and out.

djbiggs59 said:

How fast do you need to charge? You can build yourself a simple adapter that will allow your "120V" included charging cord to plug into that 240V NEMA 14-50 outlet and you'll get about 100 miles of charge in a 12 hour session.

But your bigger problem is how to do you share the outlet? You cannot both use the outlet at the same time. I would recommend getting a new wiring run installed from your breaker box and install a clipper creek HSC-40 for your bolt.

Or just install a second outlet on the circuit and set the cars so they do not both charge at the same time.

EldRick said:
Or just install a second outlet on the circuit and set the cars so they do not both charge at the same time.

That would be against code since the likelihood of a screw up is high, resulting in best case a tripped breaker, worse case, an electrical fire.

djbiggs59 said:

I've got a 240v/50A circuit w/a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage for the L1 lipper Creek HCS-40P that I also installed to charge my Bolt.

However, I don't think you can "safely" connect the the L1 charger that came w/your Bolt to the NEMA 14-50 outlet because it is set up for 120V. Someone said that the transformer connected to the Bolt L1 charger is actually dual phased and can run 240 or 120 but, if it was designed that way, why wasn't it offered as a dual charger in the 1st place? So, unless you're a competent electrician and know what you're doing, I wouldn't attempt it.

Just plug the L1 charger into a 120v outlet as designed and set your Bolt for 12A charging or get a L2 Clipper Creek (or other compatible) charger to plug into the NEMA 14-50 outlet instead.

sgt1372 said:
djbiggs59 said:

I've got a 240v/50A circuit w/a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage for the L1 lipper Creek HCS-40P that I also installed to charge my Bolt.

However, I don't think you can "safely" connect the the L1 charger that came w/your Bolt to the NEMA 14-50 outlet because it is set up for 120V. Someone said that the transformer connected to the Bolt L1 charger is actually dual phased and can run 240 or 120 but, if it was designed that way, why wasn't it offered as a dual charger in the 1st place? So, unless you're a competent electrician and know what you're doing, I wouldn't attempt it.

Just plug the L1 charger into a 120v outlet as designed and set your Bolt for 12A charging or get a L2 Clipper Creek (or other compatible) charger to plug into the NEMA 14-50 outlet instead.

You can safely connect the 120V EVSE that comes with the Bolt to a 240V recepetcle if you have the right adapters:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?218442-2016-Volt-120v-EVSE-is-L1-L2-Conversion-Capable

There is no transformer in an EVSE. The EVSE is just a sophisticated shock prevention device that passes through the electricity and tells the car the maximum current that it can draw. However, there are some electronics in the EVSE that need to be able to operate on either 120V or 240V (relays, lights, computer timing chip). The EVSE that comes with the Bolt is able to do that as the above referenced post clearly shows.

The reason that the EVSE is not advertised as being dual voltage is probably liability due to the potential incorrect use of adapters. If you use the 240V receptacle adapter with a device that isn't designed for it, bad things tend to happen to that device. Simpler/easier to not offer the option, even though the EVSE can clearly support it.

cosmacelf said:
EldRick said:

That would be against code since the likelihood of a screw up is high, resulting in best case a tripped breaker, worse case, an electrical fire.

Are you sure it would be against code? All of the 120V sockets in my house are wired to 15 or 20 Amp breakers, and there are multiple sockets wired into each breaker (at least 3 - up to 6 or more ins a couple of cases). That seems to be the same thing to me.

SparkE said:
cosmacelf said:
EldRick said:

Are you sure it would be against code? All of the 120V sockets in my house are wired to 15 or 20 Amp breakers, and there are multiple sockets wired into each breaker (at least 3 - up to 6 or more ins a couple of cases). That seems to be the same thing to me.
I believe that @cosmacelf is referring to 240V circuits/outlets, not 120V outlets.

devbolt said:
You can safely connect the 120V EVSE that comes with the Bolt to a 240V recepetcle if you have the right adapters:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?218442-2016-Volt-120v-EVSE-is-L1-L2-Conversion-Capable

That's where I saw it. Thank you, I've been looking for that for a while now.

gbobman said:
devbolt said:

That's where I saw it. Thank you, I've been looking for that for a while now.
We aims to please!

devbolt said:
SparkE said:
cosmacelf said:

I believe that @cosmacelf is referring to 240V circuits/outlets, not 120V outlets.

Yes, but the principle is the same. A bunch of sockets are strung off the same breaker. The breaker matches the max rating for any ONE of the sockets. In the case I mentioned, the same wires (yes, using 'hot' + 'neutral', instead of 'hot' + 'hot') are used to pull the current off the same breaker, off the same busbar. That is SOP in homes and has been for a long time and is definitely 'in code'. Do local codes specify that 240V breakers must have exactly one socket attached to it, and no more?

SparkE said:
devbolt said:
SparkE said:

Yes, but the principle is the same. A bunch of sockets are strung off the same breaker. The breaker matches the max rating for any ONE of the sockets. In the case I mentioned, the same wires (yes, using 'hot' + 'neutral', instead of 'hot' + 'hot') are used to pull the current off the same breaker, off the same busbar. That is SOP in homes and has been for a long time and is definitely 'in code'. Do local codes specify that 240V breakers must have exactly one socket attached to it, and no more?

In the case of a 120V socket, most of the devices you plug into them won't pull anything near the total rating of the circuit or the wiring. The exception to that is a refrigerator, which is supposed to have it's own dedicated circuit. Countertop microwave ovens and certain toaster ovens might fall into needing a dedicated circuit, or at least an intelligent owner who knows not to run the microwave and the toast oven at the same time (ask me how I know this...).

However, if you have a 240V device (oven, electric dryer, plasma cutter, welder, EVSE, etc), it's probably going to be pulling way more than 20A. The minimum draw is likely 30A and can hit upwards of 60 or 70A. Two 240V appliances on one shared 30A circuit could cause a fire if the breaker fails for some reason. But if you just have one appliance connected on that circuit that is properly sized for the load you aren't likely to exceed the rating of the wiring or the circuit breaker. Circuit breakers protect the wiring, not necessarily the socket or the device plugged into the socket, or if the device is hard-wired directly to the circuit breaker.

SparkE said:
Do local codes specify that 240V breakers must have exactly one socket attached to it, and no more?
240V circuits can have multiple receptacles, however the circuit must be sized for the load to be served. If you have one EVSE (or welder) that you want to be able to move around and use in different locations, you can put multiple receptacles on one circuit for that purposes. However if you have two EVSEs on the same circuit, you will need to size the circuit to the maximum load that could be drawn. From the (2011) NEC article on EVSEs:

625.21 said:
Overcurrent protection for feeders and branch circuits supplying electric vehicle supply equipment shall be sized for continuous duty and shall have a rating of not less than 125 percent of the maximum load of the electric vehicle supply equipment.

I doubt any jurisdiction is going to interpret "maximum load" to be reduced in the case of "human interlocking." On the other hand, two EVSEs that communicate with each other to enforce a cap on their joint load would reduce the "maximum load".

Cheers, Wayne

Back