Question about Charging

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsg

Hello!

We got our 2017 Chevy Bolt this week, other than the scary battery failure I've read about, I absolutely love driving this car. My question is, can I remove the charging plug (240V, 32amp in garage) before the Bolt is completely charged, any issues doing that?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

jsg said:
Hello!

We got our 2017 Chevy Bolt this week, other than the scary battery failure I've read about, I absolutely love driving this car. My question is, can I remove the charging plug (240V, 32amp in garage) before the Bolt is completely charged, any issues doing that?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry
Yes. As soon as you press the release switch on the handle, the EVSE will stop supplying power to to the car, so it will be safe to pull the cable out.

Be sure to unlock the door first if you have the setting for the charger removal warning on. It's just like a car alarm but is quite loud when you are next to it in a closed garage...

devbolt said:
jsg said:
Hello!

Thanks in advance,
Jerry
Yes. As soon as you press the release switch on the handle, the EVSE will stop supplying power to to the car, so it will be safe to pull the cable out.

This is the key. The SAE designed the protocol for safety above all things. No harm will be done to you, your car, or your EVSE if you unplug while charging.

Back