Test drive from Los Angeles to Las Vegas

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I recently did a "test drive" to and from Los Angeles to Las Vegas with the last DCFC available on I-15 in Victorville to test the capacity of the Bolt EV.

My test included lights on, full air conditioning set at 70 (outside temps reached 109), radio on, "L" mode

Going Northbound from Victorville to the Terrible Herbst in Summerlin (Northwestern Las Vegas 200 miles; there is actually a closer DCFC at the Terrible Herbst in South Las Vegas at 185 miles):

I used the EVGo in Victorville for two 30 minute charges to reach 203 miles/96% and drove consistently in the right lane at the "flow of traffic" using cruise control when available. This often put me in the Truck Lane at speeds of 55-60 MPH on the flats and much slower at the inclines.

I arrived with 55 miles available on the Mileage Gauge.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Going Southbound from the Terrible Herbst on Tropicana to Victorville (about 190 miles):

This time I used cruise control at 70 MPH with the following exceptions:

If the flow of traffic in all lanes was slower than 70 MPH, I drove at the flow of traffic.

If the flow of traffic in the left most lane (the fast lane) exceeded 70 MPH, then I moved over to the right one lane and drove at this lane's flow of traffic.

I arrived at the EVGo charger in Victorville with 3% battery capacity.

Sounds about right. I recently drove that route as well. The return trip to Victorville is more challenging because of the elevation rise at Victorville at the end of the drive. When you are driving towards Las Vegas the elevation is dropping at the end of the trip and you have Primm, Nevada as a fallback plan if you need to stop and add some charge on the way to LV.

The pending EVgo 4-car station at Baker, CA will make this trip easier later this year.

JeffN said:
The pending EVgo 4-car station at Baker, CA will make this trip easier later this year.
I stopped in Baker on the way back to use the facilities right off I-15 at the market and bought some more water!

I am always leery of "futureshock" buildout promises! Do you know if they have they started construction in Baker?

PS: The newer EVGo's without the Start/Stop buttons can be restarted after 30 minutes by remote control. So in Victorville I did this both times while eating lunch without having to walk back to the vehicle!

JeffN said:
The return trip to Victorville is more challenging because of the elevation rise at Victorville at the end of the drive. /quote]
From my experience obviously driving 70MPH back to Victorville is not for the faint of heart!

I would slow down on the uphills to bank some KWs on the next trip!

MichaelLAX said:
JeffN said:
PS: The newer EVGo's without the Start/Stop buttons can be restarted after 30 minutes by remote control. So in Victorville I did this both times while eating lunch without having to walk back to the vehicle!
Do tell! How do you do this? Are you referring to the ABB 125A chargers?

MichaelLAX said:
JeffN said:
From my experience obviously driving 70MPH back to Victorville is not for the faint of heart!

I would slow down on the uphills to bank some KWs on the next trip!
You can use this site to see how the elevation changes during a driving segment. You have to enter specific addresses.

https://www.doogal.co.uk/RouteElevation.php

JeffN said:
MichaelLAX said:
JeffN said:
Do tell! How do you do this? Are you referring to the ABB 125A chargers?
No, just the regular EVGo's that do not have the Start/Stop buttons!

This all comes out of my experiences of my RFiD cards NEVER working, so I must call in EVERY time. I have become very proficent at this process to speed it up especially in the hot high desert sun!

I take a photo of their ID code, since I have no short term memory! hahahaha and I register the start time in my deficient memory!

At the restaurant, I use the MyChevy app at just after the 30 minute mark to note that the charger has stopped! I immediately call EVGo and request a charge and go through their "process" which I will detail later. When they ask me if the charging has started, I refresh the MyChevy app to confirm that charging has started and thank them and finish the call with EVGo!

So far it has worked every time!

If only EVgo had their own smartphone app.

If only EVgo would get rid of their 30 minute timer for Bolt EVs and other CCS cars with larger batteries. Technically, they can do it.

JeffN said:
If only EVgo had their own smartphone app.

If only EVgo would get rid of their 30 minute timer for Bolt EVs and other CCS cars with larger batteries. Technically, they can do it.
You miss the point!

I don't see you here criticizing the fact that Tesla Superchargers won't allow Bolt EV's to use their system! Why not?

EVGo receives financial compensation from Nissan and BMW to give preference to these cars! I think Nissan Leaf's even get to charge for free!

Think of it as the Nissan/BMW EVGo system which allows Bolt EVs to use the system, but they don't want us to hog the system!

Do I like it? NO!

I am happy to invest $50 in another fast charging infrastructure system but GM has already told us they won't even invest $50 in one!!!

PS: I have the $14.95 monthly fee "On the Go" EVGo rate plan, since I calculated that if I use it for a minimum one hour per month it is the cheapest plan!

MichaelLAX said:
I take a photo of their ID code, since I have no short term memory! hahahaha and I register the start time in my deficient memory!
Here's a tip: you can tell what the start time of your charge was by looking at the date/time that the photo was taken (assuming you take it at the same time you start the charge).

SeanNelson said:
MichaelLAX said:
Here's a tip: you can tell what the start time of your charge was by looking at the date/time that the photo was taken (assuming you take it at the same time you start the charge).
Just after the start time of my call to EVGo!

Remote calling procedure to EVGo:

Have your MyChevy app ready to go and be sure that Charging has stopped!
Don't wait too long after the 30 minutes, as someone might unplug you!

Tell them you want to activate a Charger

Give them your phone number for your existing EVGo account

They then usually want your name, address and sometimes your email address to confirm its you

Give them the Charger ID such as TxxxDC1

They will usually confirm its location

Confirm you are using the CCS/Combo plug and that it is already plugged in

At this point they will start the charging process

I wait a "beat" and then I refresh the MyChevy app to see if it shows Charging; if not I refresh again and tell them my car is charging and they usually confirm from their end it is charging.

They ask if I need anything else, I confirm not and say thank you and good bye!

I go back to enjoying my chilly beverage and my meal!

In this age of electronic connectivity, it amazes me that you have to place a phone call at all. It's only a matter of time before they create an app of their own. Maybe once their network grows and the number of users explodes, they will see the light. Until then, expect the call centers to get more and more swamped.

MichaelLAX said:
This all comes out of my experiences of my RFiD cards NEVER working, so I must call in EVERY time.

At least EVgo sent you one. My wife applied for one on July 21 and they wrote back first thing next morning with "No card yet? No problem! Our team is putting it in the mail today. You should be getting it from USPS within 5-7 business days." It's now 8 business days and still no card. Is that unusual for EVgo? I thought USPS was faster than that. Anyone else had to wait unreasonably long for their card? And are others having Michael's experience of "RFiD cards NEVER working"?

I contacted EVgo to ask about the status of the Baker station, because press reports had said it would be open by June of this year and there's no sign of it. They responded in detail, explaining that there were some delays in the process since it was turning out to be more expensive than initially planned for. But now they have completed design and engineering, have the permits, and expect to begin construction later this year.

Good news, as it seemed like maybe they had given up on this project. The Baker station will really help with the LA->Vegas journey.

vrpratt said:
MichaelLAX said:
This all comes out of my experiences of my RFiD cards NEVER working, so I must call in EVERY time.

At least EVgo sent you one. My wife applied for one on July 21 and they wrote back first thing next morning with "No card yet? No problem! Our team is putting it in the mail today. You should be getting it from USPS within 5-7 business days." It's now 8 business days and still no card. Is that unusual for EVgo? I thought USPS was faster than that. Anyone else had to wait unreasonably long for their card? And are others having Michael's experience of "RFiD cards NEVER working"?
Rather than chewing EVGo's a** here, which does need chewing! Here is the thread to do it:

All Electric Vehicles/All Chevy EVs/Chevy Bolt Form Home/Bolt Electric Vehicle Owners/ Batteries and Charging:

Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

That being said, I have asked many times for a replacement, and I have never received one after they send a 2nd one that failed many months ago!

I don't complain any more because it seems that they only charge me for the $14.95 monthly fee and NEVER for the actual usage fees, as I have pointed out on this forum many times, so why spoil a good thing! hahahahaha :D

MichaelLAX said:
Rather than chewing EVGo's a** here, which does need chewing! Here is the thread to do it:

All Electric Vehicles/All Chevy EVs/Chevy Bolt Form Home/Bolt Electric Vehicle Owners/ Batteries and Charging:

Do not use EVgo fast chargers. No, seriously. Just don't.

Been there, done that. The last comment at that thread is my comparison of EVgo to a pre-internet supercomputer---they seem content to be able to charge at blazing speed triggered by nothing more than a phone call to them. That's what you get when you let an energy company like NRG try to run a modern charging network. Admittedly Mr. Bell's 1879 invention is higher tech than a tin can at the station with a string all the way to its mate at EVgo's Houston HQ.

GetOffYourGas said:
In this age of electronic connectivity, it amazes me that you have to place a phone call at all. It's only a matter of time before they create an app of their own. Maybe once their network grows and the number of users explodes, they will see the light. Until then, expect the call centers to get more and more swamped.
Well, they expect their RFiD cards to work and their business model seems to be primarily one 30 minute charge per customer, given their subsidies from Nissan and BMW.

So no need for an app!

MichaelLAX said:
Well, they expect their RFiD cards to work

That's assuming a lot. Would they still expect that in the event that their RFiD cards didn't work?

How many Americans today expect the president of the US to make decisions that work to the benefit of the country?

I like all of your posts in the past, so please lets keep this thread to fast charge driving between LA and Las Vegas!

EVGo is currently an important factor in that drive, given their almost exclusive fast charging presence in Victorville and Las Vegas!

I see no reason to modify my Bolt EV to "clean coal!" :lol:

Back