Charge Session Info?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBolt

Does the Bolt provide any details on a completed charging session?

I can tell the approximate charging rate by checking the dashboard while the car charges, but is there any summary that would show total kw/hr or total charge time?

TimBolt said:
Does the Bolt provide any details on a completed charging session?

I can tell the approximate charging rate by checking the dashboard while the car charges, but is there any summary that would show total kw/hr or total charge time?
I believe it only provides that data while the car charges if it is DCFC and not L2. I might be wrong about this and I will check it later...

But I have not found an answer to your question and seek to find the same, too!

I am especially peaked because I rely on the amount of Energy Used versus 60Kw when driving longer distances, with the Mileage Gauge and the Miles Remaining on my Nav to guide me. But once I have added a DCFC (or other charge) boost that does not go to 100% (every time), I can keep track of the amount of Energy Used, but I no longer know the full capacity above 60 KW, since I do not know how much was added!

For example, this information became essential when I was driving 70 MPH from Las Vegas to Victorville last week and the last few miles into Victorville are uphill!

I was running 5 miles ahead of the Mileage Gauge when the elevation flattened out and the Mileage Gauge stopped telling me the number of miles remaining! The Bolt EV started screaming at me to recharge, offered to turn off certain non-essential items (such as radio, air conditioning, etc.) which I did not accept and then put me into Low Propulsion Mode.

I was pretty certain I was still 5 miles ahead of the battery but I would have liked to been able to computer Energy Used against the full Energy available (initial 60 plus DCFC charging along the way less Energy Used)!

When I started the DCFC in Victorville all indicators reported I had 3% battery remaining at that point, slightly more than 5 miles!

As a tangent question, does Torque work with the Bolt, and are there PIDs to display percentage of battery charge? I get all this info through Torque on my Prius, but it can't tell me how many kWhs it was charged with.

Just to complicate things, the amount of charge the battery accepts is less than the amount of electricity delivered. The charging process isn't 100% efficient. My guess is it's more like 85% efficient, but I'd be curious to hear from someone who has measured the efficiency.

The MyChevrolet app and keypass will show %SoC on your phone, which will at least tell you when the car will shut down. Keypass is a direct, bluetooth connection to the car (with surprising range. Mine stayed connected through a block wall some 25 feet away from the car).

I'm interested in 3rd party apps that can read the car. With the i-MiEV, we have CaniOn, which shows some very detailed information such as individual cell voltage, cell block temperatures, %SoC, pack voltage, and kW. Another app, EVBatMon, would actually ask the car what the full-charge Ah capacity of the battery is and display current Ah in the battery. Information like this is rather helpful when determining battery health or trying to stretch out the bottom end of the battery on a long drive.

I'd love a screen that shows drive/charge history in kWh and miles that is manually reset and separated by day. That way, you can drive and charge on a multi-day trip, and all of that data is available on the radio screen to review when the trip is complete. Right now, the only way to do it is manually log and meter all charging. The car has to know the voltage and amps at the J1772 port, so it would be great to tap this info and meter incoming power so it is truly consumption at the wall (reading what goes into the battery on the DC side doesn't account for charging losses).

I was wrong: with an L2 charge going and the Bolt EV activated, the dashboard does show the charge in.

In my case, with my Clipper Creek 240v 20 amp it shows 4 KWh in.

PV1 said:
With the i-MiEV, we have CaniOn, which shows some very detailed information such as individual cell voltage, cell block temperatures, %SoC, pack voltage, and kW. Another app, EVBatMon, would actually ask the car what the full-charge Ah capacity of the battery is and display current Ah in the battery.

I have Torque setup to display all of the above except kWh or Ah. I get bank voltages, bank internal resistance, %SoC (state of charge), bank battery temperature, 12v battery temp, inverter temps...

Torque Pro is $10, and an ELM237 is about $10.

Getting a remaining Ah or kWh reading would be very helpful.

redpoint5 said:
Getting a remaining Ah or kWh reading would be very helpful.
Helpful? To me that is the Holy Grail!

It is the only really reliable way to know how many miles you have remaining on your trip.

I would gladly pay for an app that gives me that info!

Back