Lockable 110v Charging in Public

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpsman

For the first time, I saw a ChargePoint Level 1 charging station.
You must use your own EVSE up to 20 amps.
It locks your EVSE on your plug (wall) end so no one can steal it or unplug it. The door locks with only a slot for the cable to come out at the bottom.

Found this at the UCSF Hospital parking garage.
See photos.

8C72286C-B9E2-4DB9-A41A-0B5A67736B6B.jpeg
940234C3-8B97-4C15-BA62-034312E86ADE.jpeg
24DD6B82-9CBA-4B71-B667-9602A4EC64F9.jpeg

GetOffYourGas said:
Wow, I've never seen one of those before. Was it free? If not, how much do they charge you for the power?

ChargePoint sells and installs the units - the owner decides how much to charge (not CP).

110 volt level 1 trickle charger? That's pretty bad.

I hope Chargepoint doesn't sell many of these. Seems useless unless maybe at an airport whereas you're leaving the car for days.

SparkE said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Wow, I've never seen one of those before. Was it free? If not, how much do they charge you for the power?

ChargePoint sells and installs the units - the owner decides how much to charge (not CP).

Yes I know that. That's why I asked whether this one was free...

GetOffYourGas said:

I don’t know. The same stand has 220v (6.6kw) and that is what I actually used. The 6.6 kw was $1.25 per hour.

If you had an ebike or scooter (and many do) then they can use the 110v.

However, I saw a plug in Prius using the 110v while all three 220 / 6.6 kw were in use.

If you don’t have a Bolt or Tesla, the 110v is pretty useful.

Maxters said:

I hope Chargepoint doesn't sell many of these. Seems useless unless maybe at an airport whereas you're leaving the car for days.

I know of several of these, and they are all fairly old. For example:

Installed in 2011 469 Market St., Eastsound, Washington 98245

I've charged at 120V on this unit. Better than nothing.

SeanNelson said:
gpsman said:
Imagine how fast you could charge your e-bike with a DC fast charger!!! :shock:

Fast, but not as fast as you might think.
Since the battery pack is 36 volts, and the DCFC circuit is limited to 125 amps, you can only charge at 4.5 kw. Less than standard Level 2.

So about 15 minutes to “DCFC” whille 120 VAC will take about 1 hour.

gpsman said:
SeanNelson said:
gpsman said:
Imagine how fast you could charge your e-bike with a DC fast charger!!! :shock:
Fast, but not as fast as you might think.
Since the battery pack is 36 volts, and the DCFC circuit is limited to 125 amps, you can only charge at 4.5 kw. Less than standard Level 2.
Awwww - you're no fun at all! :D

Perhaps that 110V outlet should be placed near electric motorcycle parking. A Zero S or SR electric motorcycle appears to be able to get about 9 miles of highway or 18 miles of city range per hour of charging on 110V, according to http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/ . So that 110V outlet for charging can be very effective as a workplace charger for electric motorcycles.

charging-us_21263.jpg

Maxters said:

I am not *positive* but :

1- CP doesn't sell these anymore (older model)

2- the 120V outlet is *in addition to* a 240V J1772 charge port

gpsman said:
For the first time, I saw a ChargePoint Level 1 charging station.
You must use your own EVSE up to 20 amps.
It locks your EVSE on your plug (wall) end so no one can steal it or unplug it. The door locks with only a slot for the cable to come out at the bottom.

Found this at the UCSF Hospital parking garage.
See photos.

View attachment 1
View attachment 2

Hi! This is an older model that we don't sell anymore, which combines a level 1 port and a level 2 port.
We're currently focused on level 2 and DC Fast charging now, but these older stations are still providing additional places to charge for all kinds of EVs! Great find!

BTW, I'm also pretty sure that this is the model in the 'A' and 'G' garages (international terminal) at SFO : 240V J1772 and 120V/20A 'socket'.

Back