Cost to replace Bolt batteries

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mecdatlanta

Does anyone have an idea what it will cost to replace the batteries in a Bolt? And how long do you think they will last? I guess the last question depends on how much driving one does and the kind of charger one uses. If we assume moderate driving and using an EVSE.

I'm just looking for a ballpark number.

Thx!

https://www.gmpartworld.com/auto-parts/2017/chevrolet/bolt-ev/premier-trim/electric-engine/electric-propulsion-system-cat/battery-scat offers a Bolt battery for $14,126.14 (first design) or $14,625 (second design). Obviously does not include installation.

Wow! Let's hope that someone comes up with a knock-off and sells it on ebay.

But on a more serious note, don't these tend to decrease in cost over time? So we might be looking at something less in 15-20 years when (I hope) we will need to replace...

Based on a few high-mileage Model Ss, a temperature controlled battery like the Bolt's should lose less that 3% capacity per 100,000 miles. One Model S had 92% battery at 300,000.

How many people keep their car in excess of a quarter million miles?

mecdatlanta said:
Does anyone have an idea what it will cost to replace the batteries in a Bolt?

So we might be looking at something less in 15-20 years when (I hope) we will need to replace...
Nobody has a clue, but it is very likely that battery technology will have changed enough that replacing the Bolt battery is not cost effective. It will have what range it has (kind of like a used 2011 LEAF today). If that is not enough, it's better to buy a new(er) EV than replace the battery.

mecdatlanta said:
Does anyone have an idea what it will cost to replace the batteries in a Bolt? And how long do you think they will last? I guess the last question depends on how much driving one does and the kind of charger one uses. If we assume moderate driving and using an EVSE.

I'm just looking for a ballpark number.

Thx!

There is no hard and fast answer to your second question. The battery is unlikely to just fail. Rather, it will degrade over time. How much degradation is acceptable to you? Would a 119-mile Bolt (50% loss) still be usable as a commuter car? Or would it make more sense to scrap it and buy a new car? I lived for 5.5 years with a Leaf that started out with 73 miles of range, and ended with about 60 miles. It still worked as once of two cars. By that measure, the Bolt's battery will outlast the car for me, as I live in snow country and road salt is murder on cars.

Back