EVSE supply voltage

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevmar

Has anyone investigated how "pure" the AC supply to the GM included EVSE must be?

Will it tolerate an inverter power supply, there seem to be large variations in the sine wave outputs of these devices? I am thinking in an emergency ONLY to run a "normal" IC car with an inverter since typical alternators supply 60-80 amps at 12-14 volts so not too different to the EVSE charging requirement of about 1000 watts on the 110 volt 8 amp option.

I ask following the local fires and floods (pestilence hopefully not to follow from the White House.....) here in California. Be prepared!

Thanks for any advice.

I don’t know how pure it needs to be, but it accepts a wide range of input voltages.

90v to 266v AC is accepted.

I do not understand any advatage to your scenario though.

They are picky about the ground.
Also I have tried using a GFCI cord plugged into an outlet that already had a GFCI hardwired, and it will not work with two in series. They don’t play nice for some reason when you do that.

It won’t work with no ground pin, but ground pin to a copper water pipe did work fine.

I have no personal experience but have read elsewhere that sine wave quality can sometimes be an issue with charging EVs. The consensus seemed to be that it’s worth getting an inverter/generator that has a high quality sine wave output. I think these are becoming easier to get at a good price.

Back