Cheap Ebay Chargers 32/40 amp

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMAdolt

has anyone used some of these cheaper chargers coming up on ebay?

They seem to be getting down into the 400 usd range

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...0.X40+amp+evse.TRS0&_nkw=40+amp+evse&_sacat=0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32-Amp-Lev...ash=item3f97249840:g:sacAAOSwUwFaQ83H&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40-Amp-Lev...ash=item3b02c3f866:g:PuEAAOSwSFZakew2&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40-AMP-Lev...m=253449447772&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

EVSE's are pretty simple things, the driving factor between cost seems wire size and built in coms, I wouldn't be surprised if they got cheaper still.

IMAdolt said:
EVSE's are pretty simple things, the driving factor between cost seems wire size and built in coms, I wouldn't be surprised if they got cheaper still.
And things like UL listing, warranty from a known manufacturer, etc.

But you do get some interesting "features" like this:
ADJUSTABLE: Can be adjusted to charge at 10 Amp, 16 Amp, 20 Amp, 24 Amp, 32 Amp or 40 Amp (by shaking controller within 60 seconds of plug in)
On odd design choice :roll:

I got this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEVEL-2-EV-32-AMP-240-Volt-Charger-Electric-Car-BOLT-LEAF-NEMA-14-50-Kwh-23-ft/253434547834?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

However, it faulted when it reached around 30A so I sent it back. The seller sent me a different one that worked but the cord was too short. So, he is is sending me this Zencar charger:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32-Amp-Level-2-EV-BOLT-Electric-Car-Charger-NEMA-14-50-6-6-7-7-Kwh-23-LONG/252951701258?hash=item3ae518a70a:g:XZEAAOSwdc5Zdtxf

Hopefully, the third time is the charm but I would have gone with a more reputable charger if I had to do it over again.

The Zencar does seem a little bit better then similar priced competitors with the RFID card selectors and you can also get them from amazon.

You've got to wonder what happened to switches? shake it? tap it? how is this cheaper or more reliable?

Why take a gamble on an unknown brand, when you can do this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-EV-Charger-Indoor-Outdoor-Level-2-WattStation-Wall-Mount-with-Plug-EVWSWBC-CP01/203001939

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Siemens-VersiCharge-Level-2-30-Amp-Wall-Mounted-Single-Electric-Car-Charger/50301241

I bought the GE about 3 years ago through Lowe's; I had a 10% off coupon, and had my older son with me so I could use his military discount, and was able to get out for under $400.

Campfamily said:
Why take a gamble on an unknown brand, when you can do this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-EV-Charger-Indoor-Outdoor-Level-2-WattStation-Wall-Mount-with-Plug-EVWSWBC-CP01/203001939

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Siemens-VersiCharge-Level-2-30-Amp-Wall-Mounted-Single-Electric-Car-Charger/50301241

I bought the GE about 3 years ago through Lowe's; I had a 10% off coupon, and had my older son with me so I could use his military discount, and was able to get out for under $400.

they're getting cheaper for sure,

I "want" 32 amp or higher but I guess 2 amps don't matter terribly. My biggest issue with these brands is the mobility, I want something easily transportable and stoweable to be used on anyone 14-50 outlet. How often will I do that? I dunno maybe never.

IMAdolt said:
My biggest issue with these brands is the mobility, I want something easily transportable and stoweable to be used on anyone 14-50 outlet. How often will I do that? I dunno maybe never.
You should seriously consider a Gen 2 Tesla Universal Mobile Charger (UMC) along with a "Tesla Tap" that allows you to use the Tesla connector with your Bolt. What's unique about it is that it takes interchangeable cords that allow you to plug it into a 120V outlet, a 240V/30A outlet, a 240V/50A outlet, etc. And depending on which cord you use, the charger will automatically advertise the appropriate current level to the car. For example, if you use the 240V/30A cord, it will advertise 24A to the car (the recommended 80% of capacity for a continuous load), whereas if you use the 240V/50A cord it will advertise 32A (which is its maximum capacity).

It's a brilliant design and for the life of me I just can't understand why nobody else seems to do this. And it's very reasonably priced - I just picked up one with two of the interchangeable cords and it was only US$320. Of course you also need the Tesla Tap, which is another US$250 or so - but it will allow you to charge from Tesla destination chargers (NOT Superchargers) if you're at a location where there are no J-1772 chargers or they're all busy.

SeanNelson said:
IMAdolt said:
My biggest issue with these brands is the mobility, I want something easily transportable and stoweable to be used on anyone 14-50 outlet. How often will I do that? I dunno maybe never.
You should seriously consider a Gen 2 Tesla Universal Mobile Charger (UMC) along with a "Tesla Tap" that allows you to use the Tesla connector with your Bolt. What's unique about it is that it takes interchangeable cords that allow you to plug it into a 120V outlet, a 240V/30A outlet, a 240V/50A outlet, etc. And depending on which cord you use, the charger will automatically advertise the appropriate current level to the car. For example, if you use the 240V/30A cord, it will advertise 24A to the car (the recommended 80% of capacity for a continuous load), whereas if you use the 240V/50A cord it will advertise 32A (which is its maximum capacity).

It's a brilliant design and for the life of me I just can't understand why nobody else seems to do this. And it's very reasonably priced - I just picked up one with two of the interchangeable cords and it was only US$320. Of course you also need the Tesla Tap, which is another US$250 or so - but it will allow you to charge from Tesla destination chargers (NOT Superchargers) if you're at a location where there are no J-1772 chargers or they're all busy.

That'd be great but I'm not seeing it anywhere near that price even used stuff is a bit more, a new "tesla tap" is like $250 without the UMC. I've seen articles of a past sales of tesla UMC's for like $300 but I can't find them anyone now, all back ordered I suppose.

Regarding the Tesla Mobile Charger, do you mean this for $300?

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x_3-mobile-connector-bundle.html?sku=1139373-00-A

MobileConnectorBundleGen2_1139373-00-A_0.jpg

Of course, the TeslaTap adapter is $235 or so in addition.

IMAdolt said:
That'd be great but I'm not seeing it anywhere near that price even used stuff is a bit more...
I'm talking about the Tesla Gen 2 UMC. The Gen 1 UMC is capable of charge rates up to 240V/80A and is more expensive, but of course the Bolt can't charge at those kind of rates - it's limited to the 240V/32A that the Gen 2 UMC goes up to.

I literally went to the Tesla parts department (in Bellevue WA) and bought it from them, US$320 for the charger and two cords.

boltage said:

https://shop.tesla.com/us/en/product/vehicle-accessories/model-s_x_3-mobile-connector-bundle.html?sku=1139373-00-A

Yep, that's the one. You don't get the nice case when you buy it from the parts department... :cry:

SeanNelson said:
IMAdolt said:
That'd be great but I'm not seeing it anywhere near that price even used stuff is a bit more...
I'm talking about the Tesla Gen 2 UMC. The Gen 1 UMC is capable of charge rates up to 240V/80A and is more expensive, but of course the Bolt can't charge at those kind of rates - it's limited to the 240V/32A that the Gen 2 UMC goes up to.

I literally went to the Tesla parts department (in Bellevue WA) and bought it from them, US$320 for the charger and two cords.

boltage said:

Yep, that's the one. You don't get the nice case when you buy it from the parts department... :cry:

Fair Enough, now we need to find a lower priced "tesla tap" and we're in business, although 300+240 is still not bad for something reputable.

I've recently bought (in 2017 - so got the 30% fed tax credit on them) a $200 DUOSIDA 16 amp charging cord, as well as a $289 home made 32 amp wall box, with 50 amp j1772 connector and 50 amp contactor. They work at 16 amps and 32 amps respectively, and run Stone-Cold.

Both have nice beefy water resistant rubber cords.

By comparison, my 7 1/2 year old Schneider (Square-D) , the so called 'World's Finest ! ' (by them!) overheated when charging my roadster for 8 hours at 30 amperes. Redesigned the unit to take box lugs instead of those 'toy' faston junk connectors, and now it runs stone cold also, but no thanks to them.

It is disgusting that CHINESE JUNK is higher quality than Peru, Indiana stuff.

BillHowland said:

The Chinese put people in orbit, have more supercomputers than the US and build the wings that hold up Airbuses and Boeings. Time to put to rest the notion that if it is from China it is junk, junk knows no boundaries.

VWrefugee said:
BillHowland said:

The Chinese put people in orbit, have more supercomputers than the US and build the wings that hold up Airbuses and Boeings. Time to put to rest the notion that if it is from China it is junk, junk knows no boundaries.

Yes, all very true. Although a lot of the Chinese accomplishments were made possible by stealing American technology. They didn't invent most of that themselves.

GetOffYourGas said:
VWrefugee said:
BillHowland said:

Yes, all very true. Although a lot of the Chinese accomplishments were made possible by stealing American technology. They didn't invent most of that themselves.

Like paper, of course. And gunpowder. All American technology.

WetEV said:
GetOffYourGas said:
VWrefugee said:

Lol!

I was referring to slightly more modern technologies, though. Like space travel, supercomputers, and airplanes. Also, I was very careful to say "most" and not "all".

So, nice try. It was amusing though.

GetOffYourGas said:
WetEV said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Lol!

I was referring to slightly more modern technologies, though. Like space travel, supercomputers, and airplanes. Also, I was very careful to say "most" and not "all".

Taking a long view, China has been the most technologically advanced country most of the time.

Sometime around 1400AD, Europe started a technology explosion that China didn't match.

China was farming with iron plows when Europe and the rest of the world was pushing sticks into the ground. China was still farming with iron plows when much of the world was farming with tractors.

The future? Humility is a virtue. Hubris isn't.

WetEV said:
GetOffYourGas said:
WetEV said:

Lol!

Taking a long view, China has been the most technologically advanced country most of the time.

Sometime around 1400AD, Europe started a technology explosion that China didn't match.

China was farming with iron plows when Europe and the rest of the world was pushing sticks into the ground. China was still farming with iron plows when much of the world was farming with tractors.

Fair enough. And the opposite of Humility isn't actually Hubris - it's simply Pride. Good ol' 'merican pride. You wouldn't think it's a vice in our modern society, though.

GetOffYourGas said:
WetEV said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Lol!

Fair enough. And the opposite of Humility isn't actually Hubris - it's simply Pride. Good ol' 'merican pride. You wouldn't think it's a vice in our modern society, though.

These things have a cycle to them: American stuff, initially quite good (Like Detroit Switch and Fuse, i.e. 'Square-D) 100 years ago, lately has gotten to be suspect. If you go to the 'Big Box' stores you'll see plastered over the Square-D QO (at one time the most POPULAR breaker around, being basically the same since 1955) "THE WORLD'S FINEST!". I question that claim. I had a 1970 vintage QO 6 circuit, 100 ampere panel blow out its welded neutral bar, on a 50 ampere, 120Vee/208 3 wire feed (where the neutral current is admittedly 100% of the leg current). In other words the thing couldn't even take 1/2 of its rated capacity. They sell essentially the same thing today at HD and Lowe's, the door-less models. You might as well save money and get the so-so HOMELINE stuff since its the exact same parts internally, and priced at less than 2/3 of the QO stuff.

My Schneider (aka Square-D) 7 1/2 year old 30 ampere wall box is essentially the same thing they sell today, without the holster for the cord. But I had to use Box Lugs to keep the thing from overheating.

The Chinese stuff, and the homemade one, as I say run stone cold.

Whereas, a drill press my dad bought from China 15 years ago had a stuck centrifugal switch that you had to hit the side of the motor with a hammer to get it to release the 'start' winding so the motor wouldn't burn up. It worked ok but you shouldn't have to put up with that. Also, another 'Sears' China Junk Drill Press had its cheap permanent-split capacitor fail within 2 weeks of purchase. I got sick of the junk and put an expensive oil capacitor in it, and its been fine ever since.

But lately, just as Japan's Sony and Korea's LG started producing quality products during the later 60's, so the stuff from China seems to be 'maturing' - the 3 horsepower Harbor "Junk" tools 3500 RPM motor I put on an engine-less 2 stage snowblower really shined this last winter, allowing operation up to 250% (around 7 1/2 hp developed) - and when doing the conversion I "THOUGHT" I had under-powered the Snow Blower since it originally had a 7 hp engine on it - the very HEAVY wet snow we received in April bogged down ALL the other snow blowers on the street, whereas mine just kept barreling through it, although I could tell the motor was really working.

My point is that the typical "Chinese Junk" has matured to the stage, (like Japan 50 years ago), that some of the stuff is actually getting pretty good. The doubly priced 'Marathon' (another historically fine name) Chinese Junk from Tractor Supply is just still junk as the capacitors in the motors are no good.

Back