How about the MAXGREEN charger??

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phximiev

It has one bad review at least: https://www.amazon.com/Maxgreen-Version-Portable-Electric-Charging/dp/B076D6GTMY#customerReviews

Don't you really mean a 240v adapter cable for the 120v charger that comes with the car?

I made one, and it charges just about double the miles in the same time connected.... Been using it over a year.
Only thing, you might notice, you are able just using 120v, you have an option of 8Amps or 12amps, and with the 240v adapter to the charger, there is no ability to increase the amperage..... nevertheless, it's a little faster for the time it's connected. NOT LEVEL 2 SPEEDS, but for the investment, it's nice..... few bucks for a plug, wire, and socket..... worth it!

Bobolinko said:
Don't you really mean a 240v adapter cable for the 120v charger that comes with the car?

I made one, and it charges just about double the miles in the same time connected.... Been using it over a year.
Only thing, you might notice, you are able just using 120v, you have an option of 8Amps or 12amps, and with the 240v adapter to the charger, there is no ability to increase the amperage..... nevertheless, it's a little faster for the time it's connected. NOT LEVEL 2 SPEEDS, but for the investment, it's nice..... few bucks for a plug, wire, and socket..... worth it!

I don't see why it wouldn't charge at 12 amps with the 240 adapter, are you sure it's not defaulting to 12 amps and not giving the 8 amp option? It should give you double the charge speed in that case but if it's only 240 @ 8 amps the charge time would be more like 1/3 increase so for every 9miles @ 120v/12amps it'd be 18 @240v/12amps or 12 @240v/8amps.

Ignoring things like power factors and charge tapering.

Bobolinko said:

The J1772 standard has the EVSE "advertise" the available amperage (voltage is not relevant). The stock EVSE will advertise 12A available when used with either 120V or 240V (with an adapter such as you made). The charge rate is controlled by the vehicle, and with L1 AC charging, the Bolt will allow you to select 8A (default) or 12A. With Level 2 AC charging (240V), the Bolt will utilize as much as the EVSE can provide (up to the limit of it's 32A on-board charger). The 8A default is to prevent tripping a breaker or overloading a circuit since most 120V outlets have at least the capacity for multiple devices to t=be plugged in. A 240V circuit will always (with very rare exceptions) be a dedicated circuit.

With the adapter, it will charge at AC L2 and therefore WILL have "Level 2 Speeds". AC Level 2 simply means 240V (up to 19.2 kW or 80A)
charging-levels-gb-4.png

IMAdolt said:
I don't see why it wouldn't charge at 12 amps with the 240 adapter...
When you attach the stock EVSE to a 240V power source (via whatever means) it does in fact charge at 12A, which translates to a little under 3kW. And yes, that is Level 2 charging, because it's 240V. It's not particularly fast Level 2 charging, but it's a lot faster than any Level 1 option available to Bolt owners.

Back