Level 1 Charging With A Generator

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisbolt

If I wanted to charge the Bolt with the supplied Level 1 EVSE (12 amp setting) using a 3 kw generator (20 amp plug) , can the generator be a standard generator or does it need to be an invertor generator? That is, does the Level 1 EVSE, the vehicle charger, or any of the associated electronics in the vehicle require the clean sine waveform of an invertor generator that is recommended for sensitive electronics?

From pg 246 of the owners manual:
Do not use portable or stationary
backup generating equipment to
charge the vehicle. This may
cause damage to the vehicle's
charging system. Only charge the
vehicle from utility supplied
power.

Similar language is included in virtually every owners manual I have seen, but I also know that people charge their EV's successfully with generators. A good ground is crucial, after that, you;ll just have to try it and see. Unlikely that you will actually damage your Bolt - it is more likely the charge session will either fail to start or terminate at some point before the charge is complete.

We've used the OSU solar trailer (with L2 EVSE's built in). Most vehicles are happy to charge - a few models won't.
35558039_1921760021220918_7997387052574310400_o.jpg

Thanks. If I try it, it looks like a pure sine wave invertor generator is the way to go similar to the OSU Solar Trailer which must have a solar DC to AC invertor. It would be helpful for GM/Chevy to be provide generator specifications if using a generator is indeed possible. You never know if the EV manufacturers just do not want to be bothered with supporting this charging alternative (I understand it has very limited application) or if they actually have good reasons for their seemingly completely prohibiting statements in their manuals.

Only thing I Can add to the discussion, is sometimes small generators, as well as the cheaper inverter units - have rather ratty (non-sinusoidal) Outputs, and that the 2 upconverters in the car charger may not be able to deal with the spikes that may result from the high frequency (above hearing range) resulting from this. They depend on a sinusoidal input, and so GM is wise to advise against cheap generators. They no doubt know if the ripple current in the charge inductor has been exceeded - which will exceed the current and voltage rating of its mate commutating capacitor - so these parts being punctured will be an indication that a cheap generator has been used.

If in doubt, I'D Scope the generator output under a similar load and see what it looks like. But warning, even slight imperfections can cause damage.

Back