SeanNelson

Re: How much will my battery degrade after two years of charging to 100% almost every night?

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:29 am

BoltEV wrote:Next time I will settle the debate by using the My Chevrolet app at the end of the drive to tell me the remaining capacity.

Yes, the remaining capacity and the kWh used (along with the starting capacity, which I assume was 100%) will give you much better information on what the actual capacity of the battery is. But without similar numbers from when the car is new it won't tell us anything about whether the battery has degraded or not.

I'm not trying to argue that the battery hasn't held up well in the face of 100% charging. And I have no doubt that you're pleased with the range you're getting. But with the information you gave us I think you'll find it hard to convince most folks anything about battery degradation without more concrete data.

BoltEV

Re: How much will my battery degrade after two years of charging to 100% almost every night?

Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:33 am

Thank you Sean.

So you are not convinced that we all have the same 60KWh capacity when new?

SparkE

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:51 am

BoltEV wrote:Thank you Sean.

So you are not convinced that we all have the same 60KWh capacity when new?

I have seen posted Torque Pro logs from other people, that they had taken when the Bolt was brand new, and a few were over 60 kWh, most were in the 57-59.x kWh range. It apparently does vary, by up to several percentage points.

BoltEV

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:46 am

If after two years my capacity > than 60 KWh, then I am all smiles in spite of how much greater it was when new!

So I see no point in driving it until exhausted, because there will always be someone here with a contrarian view point, since there is no way to know hiw many KWh’s it had at new.

I will say this: in the used marketplace, the exact amount of battery capacity will be important irrespective of how much its capacity was at new.

So I take the same viewpoint: how much capacity I have now is the critical factor. Not how much I may have had when new.

SeanNelson

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:14 pm

BoltEV wrote:So I see no point in driving it until exhausted, because there will always be someone here with a contrarian view point, since there is no way to know hiw many KWh’s it had at new.

If you're a buy-and-hold person like I am and intend to keep your Bolt for a while, you might want to get a good idea of your current capacity now so that in the future you'll have some idea of how your battery is degrading from this point forward. It's not something that I personally am terribly concerned about, but to each his own.

BoltEV

Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:53 pm

Like you, I tend to hold a car for 12 years.

However I look at an electric car as “technology” and this is my second three-year lease, after my Chevy Volt.

I have to make a decision in one year, and the hope for $35,000 model 3 appears to be vaporware! Haha

My residual is $25,000: so I’m not too optimistic on that front either.

I’ll just have to see what’s available in 12 months.

In any event, how do you suggest I take that measurement now?

theothertom

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:01 pm

BoltEV wrote:However I look at an electric car as “technology” and this is my second three-year lease, after my Chevy Volt.
I have to make a decision in one year, and the hope for $35,000 model 3 appears to be vaporware! Haha

I've owned cars for 50 years and never leased one, until now. Technology is changing so quickly and I don't want to be "stuck" with very outdated technology.
The $35K Model 3 is projected to have a 50KW battery, so the Bolt is better in that regard. VW, BMW and Mercedes have aggressive plans to introduce models with ~400 mile range next year, but I would probably wait until 2021 for them to work the bugs out.

SeanNelson

Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:01 am

BoltEV wrote:...how do you suggest I take that measurement now?

I described the method in my first post in this thread.

BoltEV

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:24 am

theothertom wrote:The $35K Model 3 is projected to have a 50KW battery, so the Bolt is better in that regard. VW, BMW and Mercedes have aggressive plans to introduce models with ~400 mile range next year, but I would probably wait until 2021 for them to work the bugs out.

I predict that Tesla will never release a $35,000 Model 3.

Their financial problems dictate that they must continue to sell the more expensive models with the greater profit margin into the foreseeable future.

BoltEV

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:26 am

SeanNelson wrote:
BoltEV wrote:...how do you suggest I take that measurement now?

I described the method in my first post in this thread.

Yes, I recall, but your method requires that I have a comparison measurement to when my car was new, which I never took.

Return to “Batteries and Charging”