Anyone with experience using the TeslaTap?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoltEV

I only found one thread discussing the TeslaTap and no one seemed to own one.

It appears to be the successor to the JDapter and is available for purchase online and at the designer's office up in Santa Ynez.

I was thinking about getting one as a backup before I drive up Interstate-5 to the new DCFC at Hiway 198, in case it is not functioning properly (and I would drive further to some nearby Tesla chargers (NOT the Tesla Superchargers at Harris Ranch).

I bought a Tesla Tap 11 months ago. It's been available alongside the JDapter for as long as I remember. I haven't used it a whole lot but it always worked just fine when I did.

I also bought a Tesla Gen 2 UMC (Universal Mobile Charger) and four different AC plugs that I keep in the car in case I need a charge somewhere that DCFC or L2 chargers aren't available. The Tesla Tap works with it too, no issues.

There have been reports of problems with some recent (Gen 2) Tesla UMC (the portable EVSEs) and the TeslaTap.

Also, I read that (do not know if it is true, that the JDapter is using the exact circuit as TeslaTap. They (JDapter) were purchasing parts from suppliers that decided to just start selling their own version. On the other hand, I have also read that TeslaTap claims that their unit includes some circuitry to allow the adapter to work with newer HPWCs which sometimes don't work with the jdapter.

A JDapter may not work with a destination charging station is if it is wired alongside a Supercharger. Those units are wired for 277V, and the Bolt won't accept a voltage that high. But I've heard Tesla has discontinued use of the 277V setups, so likely only a handful of them are out there.

I ran across this blog post in my travels thru the interwebs : https://bro05.blogspot.com/2018/06/best-value-charging-station-for-non.html

SparkE said:
A JDapter may not work with a destination charging station is if it is wired alongside a Supercharger. Those units are wired for 277V, and the Bolt won't accept a voltage that high. But I've heard Tesla has discontinued use of the 277V setups, so likely only a handful of them are out there.
FWIW, it seems like the Model 3 also has issues charging at 277 volts and may be unsupported at that supply voltage:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/charging-model-3-via-hpwc-voltage-too-high.115228/

I came across the above awhile ago and haven't followed since I don't really care.

Back