Request Battery Heating/conditioning To accelerate fast charge in cold climate

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggtronic

Hello Bolt member

up north , USA & Canada , we cant get fast charge to reach 50kw without 30+minutes battery heating
thus take more time and cost $ more : THE BIG ISSUE IS 30 MINUTES WAIT TIME BEFORE REACHING 50KW

Any member here willing to suggest a software modification to GM so we can get a
conditioning button ? i'v done it here :
https://www.gmideas.com/gmideas/ideas?action=NewIdea

the addon might look like this edited menu :
giving actual battery temperature and offering conditioning
befor we reach the fast charger destination :
BoltBattery1.jpg

Any numbers about fast charge temperature requirement ?

my obd2 result so far :
--Battery heating stop ounce 4degC or higer (2kw)
--what is the minimal battery temp. to allow 50kw charge ?
--what is the maximal battery temp. to allow 50kw charge ?

ggtronic said:
up north , USA & Canada , we cant get fast charge to reach 50kw without 30+minutes battery heating
thus take more time and cost $ more :

Any member here willing to suggest a software modification to GM so we can get a
conditioning button ?
I'm not sure this is going to save you any money. Won't the increase in charge rate will be offset by the need to add more energy since heating the battery will drain it?

SeanNelson said:
I'm not sure this is going to save you any money. Won't the increase in charge rate will be offset by the need to add more energy since heating the battery will drain it?

I'v edited initial post : the real issue is the additionnal 30 minutes needed : when doint long travel , a simple 20 minutes fast charge
become a 50 minutes ! this problem also make other EV owner waiting for you before they can charge in winter, many rapid charge
location in Québec Canada only have 1 rapid charger...

most of my 60 minutes FastCharge session endup only getting 25kwh of energy in -15degC :cry:

the PreHeat button would simply engage the 2kw heater earlyer and reach higher temp before getting to rapid charge location

SeanNelson said:
ggtronic said:
thus take more time and cost $ more :

conditioning button ?

Many QCs are pay by the minute, not kWh. This is due to laws about reselling electricity. So faster charging could save money.

And yes, there is also the time aspect. That part matters a lot more to me than the cost.

I agree that some kind of user-initiated battery pack pre-heating might be a useful feature for speeding up fast charges during the winter.

I wrote an article about these issues that includes a graph showing the Bolt’s DC charging rate at different pack temperatures. It also has a link to the source of the graph which is a French-language study from Quebec.

https://electricrevs.com/2018/10/23/frigidity-and-the-challenge-of-high-power-coupling/

JeffN said:
I wrote an article about these issues that includes a graph showing the Bolt’s DC charging rate at different pack temperatures.
https://electricrevs.com/2018/10/23/frigidity-and-the-challenge-of-high-power-coupling/
JeffN you pinpointed the exact problem + perfect solution ! thank you and congragulation on this article !!! :eek:

Quote from it "If a Kona does have a dedicated battery heater installed the owner can enable a “Winter Mode” which uses the heater to help proactively warm the battery pack. Software updates to other car models could add a similar feature someday"

Daniel Breton has tested your "Kona battery management theory" last week :
After 245km cold climate driving , the Bolt was stock at low amp and took 30 more minutes
to charge compare to the Kona !
-7 deg C drive , watch at 14 min. in the video below :
https://www.facebook.com/MtlAutoPrix/videos/2267318473280851/

This graph show the 19deg C to 23deg C confort zone to achieve 45kw charge :
i dont know witch of the 50% soc or 23degC trigger the 105 amp ?
Bolt_Bat_Temp.jpg

I don't agree with the temperature gauge - 15C is all that is needed to get full.

Tesla does this, BTW - it will heat up the battery on route to the charger.

It will absolutely save you time and money by doing this. The extra charging speed will greatly outweigh the relatively small amount of power used to heat up the battery.

30 minutes = 1.25kW of power, but I can charge at 45kW right off the bat instead of 20kW slowly creeping up to 40 by the time I hit 55%.

So, yes, 1000x this.

To make it simple, I'd just have them add something to the myChevrolet app. Would probably be easier. Could even tie it in with their energyAssist thing that they have. Simply put, if you navigate to a charger, turn on the battery heater.

Back