Charge time finish

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdunmyer

I've noticed that the car often takes longer to charge than it's supposed to:

The other day, I set the HTR to "off', and the charge completion time to 7:30 AM. It wasn't done yet at 8:15.

Today, with HTR 'on', charge completion time set to 10:00 AM, it wasn't finished at 10:15.

Yet, it does finish at the appointed time sometimes.

( I normally have the HillTopReserve set to 'off', but I expected to do quite a lot of driving that day.)

Normal, or...???

Where is the Hill Top Reserve setting?

I knew where it was on my 2017 Bolt but cannot find it on my new 2019.

^^^
It's gone from the '19. For '19, you instead have choices of ~40 to 100% with 5% increments. That's MUCH better than having just a hill top reserve toggle.

My 2017 has an HTR setting of either 'off' or 'on'. If it's 'on', the car charges to only 90%, when 'off', it goes to 100%.

I don't think it makes much difference in the failure to finish by the time set in the configuration.

cwerdna said:
^^^
It's gone from the '19. For '19, you instead have choices of ~40 to 100% with 5% increments. That's MUCH better than having just a hill top reserve toggle.
Great! Where do I find it?

BoltEV said:
cwerdna said:
^^^
Great! Where do I find it?

This probably isn't *exact* steps but touch the big green Energy button lower left of infotainment screen.
Then Charging icon
Then Target Charge Level tab.
Then the + or - to taste.
If there's no line-up behind me and I feel like taking the time then I do one tick down. It's like 92% or something.

BoltEV: Skip to 1:40 of https://insideevs.com/news/339311/video-overview-2019-chevy-bolt-gives-drivers-more-control/. Target Charge Level tab is right.

That said, there are no % values anywhere in that UI so you may not find what it stops at to be exact. Let's just say it's ~5%. I confirmed the quirk at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/trying-to-understand-the-max-charge-setting.33824/#post-519211.

Thank you both: I found it the night before your posts and set it to one notch.

The MyChevy app indicates that it is about 93-94% full at the setting.

That gives me Regenerative Breaking immediately every morning which is important to me.

And the loss of mileage is easily made up by some moderate driving onthe freeways during the day.

BoltEV said:
Is this a permanent reduction, once set, or only apply to home charging?
It's permanent once set (of course you can manually change it). For sure it applies to all AC charging, not sure about DCFC but it should apply there as well.

Back