AC charging - how to raise 12 amps limit?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belarusianpotato

Hi guys. :geek:

I recent bought my chevy bolt and still dont studied it enought .

I had read in past that bolt can AC charge up to 32 Amps (7,4 kW) and also I have 32 Amps charger (Zencar, Type 1 J1772). But on bolt's display charging options exist only from 8 to 12 Amps changing. What I missed?

The 32 amp charge rate is for 240 volts. I don't know what a Zencar type1 is but it sounds like if you hook it up to a 240V plug it will deliver 32 amps.
Level 1 is typically120V, level 2 is typically 240 volts, although I think you can hook the charger that came with the car up to 240 volts. It'd still be 12 amps but kW rate would be 2.8

Belarusianpotato said:
Hi guys. :geek:

I recent bought my chevy bolt and still dont studied it enought .

I had read in past that bolt can AC charge up to 32 Amps (7,4 kW) and also I have 32 Amps charger (Zencar, Type 1 J1772). But on bolt's display charging options exist only from 8 to 12 Amps changing. What I missed?
The 8 and 12 amp settings are only for L1 (120V) charging. People will sometimes plug into an existing 120V circuit with other outlets and devices on them, and the 8A setting will prevent the breaker tripping or possible safety issues if other devices are drawing power from the same circuit.

Those settings are ignored when using 240V to charge. The EVSE advertises it's capabilities (32A i.e.), and charger ( built into the car) will control the charge session. If your EVSE can only supply 16A, the charger will not draw more than that. If it can supply 32A (or more), the car will be able to charge at its fastest rate.

^^^
Spot on.

OP can look at https://openev.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000052074-basics-of-sae-j1772 about the J1772 pilot signal duty cycle and https://clippercreek.com/three-things-determine-ev-charge-time/.

The 120V charging cord that came with the Bolt will only work on a 120V outlet. The 240 V outlets have a completely different plug (USA). On the charging section of your central display monitor there is a charge rate selection option of 8A or 12A, 8A is default (2019 Bolt at least). There is a caution that the outlet you plug into will be on a 20A circuit breaker if you choose 12A. A 12AMP appliance (the charger) needs a circuit with breaker capacity of 1.25X12A=15A but 20A is better. The BOLT charge level indicator on the speedometer is in 5% segments. On my car if it is 20% depleted (down to 80% on the charge level indicator) it takes about 1.8% charge per 1 hour so to gain 20% charge would take about 10+ hours at 12A. 1.8% of about 238mi range=about 5miles of range per hour at 12A.
I just installed a level 2 240V ChargePoint charger on a 60 A circuit. For the BOLT it charges at 7.7kw which comes out to about 31 miles added per hour (according to the ChargePoint app) or about 13% charge/hr.

Back