California: Fresno to Orange via Palmdale

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 962

I was going to make a trip I've made several times before from Fresno to Orange. Without leaving Fresno with a full charge (as I have never done), I need to make a 45 minute stop at the Walmart in Bakersfield (on Colony). I left Fresno with 70%, traveled at 70mph the whole way and arrived with just over 10% (13% according to the charger).

Just before 30 minutes was up I returned, expecting the charger to automatically shut off, as this EvGo charger has always done for me here (using the RFID card). However this time it continued charging. Maybe they allowed it because my original SOC was so low? So I continued with the intention of stopping at the 45 minute mark. Checking traffic however, I noticed there was an almost TWO hour delay up top the grapevine due to an oil tanker big rig tipping, and spilling. If I wanted to get home in under 5 hours (ugh!), I was going to have to go around the long way. I let the charger continue. It automatically stopped at 1hour at about 75%.

I did one more 30 minute charge (it automatically stopped at 30 minutes this time) which put me at about 95%. I headed off via the 58 to 14 to 5.

I had planned on doing another charge somewhere in Newhall as I was unsure how much the incline was going to kill my charge. My reported mileage was 198 and the actual mileage in the trip is 192. However, I must of had either a good tail wind, and/or good temps (it was ranging from 58 to 65 the whole way, chilly for here) so I didn't need to use the climate system. Because of this I was actually able to make it home with 20 miles left to spare! Not bad.

Back