Denver to Frisco, CO

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanZ

Hi! I recently drove from Denver to Frisco and I figured I'd post my energy data in case anyone was interested.

It was in the 70s when I left Denver and 38F in Frisco. AC/Heat were on for the whole trip and I had a 100% charge when I left. I followed the flow of traffic for the most part, which ended up being a little bit over the posted limit. Cruse control was used when traffic wasn't congested and I was able to hold at least 55 MPH the whole way up. I left the car in L.

Arrival at the Frisco Whole Foods looked like this:
IMG_20170527_150931.jpg
IMG_20170527_150942.jpg
The drive down to Silverthorne from the tunnel skewed the efficiency graph pretty badly.

IMG_20170527_150950.jpg

I think one would be able to make Vail without too much issue.

And the way back down. The car was plugged into the level 2 charger at the Whole Foods for about 30 minutes, but didn't increase the charge percentage any according to the Chevy app. Chargepoint said 2.36kwh.

It then sat outside for around 6 hours. The temperature was slightly below freezing when we left. I ended up cutting the heat when we were back in Denver.

IMG_20170527_223044.jpg
The downhill portions skewed the graph again. I've noticed that even on a pretty severe downhill slope the car stops regenerating around 70 MPH.

IMG_20170527_223055.jpg

IMG_20170527_223038.jpg

FYI, people actually FROM San Francisco NEVER refer to San Francisco as "Frisco." It's like using the "N" word to native San Franciscans like me.

Also, FYI, every Whole Foods in San Francisco that I know of has an EV station in it. So, it would be useful to specify which Whole Foods you visited.

Sgt : there *are* several places actually named Frisco in the U.S.

There happens to be one in Colorado. Considering the info in the thread, the OP drove from Denver CO to Frisco CO.

sgt1372 said:
FYI, people actually FROM San Francisco NEVER refer to San Francisco as "Frisco." It's like using the "N" word to native San Franciscans like me.

Also, FYI, every Whole Foods in San Francisco that I know of has an EV station in it. So, it would be useful to specify which Whole Foods you visited.
Also, Denver to San Francisco on ONE charge?

RyanZ said:
Hi! I recently drove from Denver to Frisco and I figured I'd post my energy data in case anyone was interested.

It was in the 70s when I left Denver and 38F in Frisco. AC/Heat were on for the whole trip and I had a 100% charge when I left.

I think one would be able to make Vail without too much issue.

Thanks for the info. The round trip from Denver to Vail is ~194 miles. At 55 mph, no problem doing that trip in July on one charge. One of your graphics showed climate control using about 4% of the battery. In January however, perhaps making that trip isn't a slam dunk (again, assuming one charge) because your climate control percentage will rise well into the double digits. The heater initially draws 9 kW, which introduces a variable that skews results based on changes in ambient temperature. At -20C, my EV lost about half of its range. It's reasonable to assume that your car will too.

oilerlord said:
The heater initially draws 9 kW, which introduces a variable that skews results based on changes in ambient temperature.
You can mitigate that initial high draw by preconditioning the car while it's plugged in to get the cabin warmed up before switching to on-board power.

SparkE said:

There happens to be one in Colorado. Considering the info in the thread, the OP drove from Denver CO to Frisco CO.

Sorry, my mistake for not reading carefully but a reference to Frisco, CO would have helped to specify the location.

SparkE said:

Moreover, his picture says his trip from Denver to Frisco was 81.4 miles. San Francisco is a bit farther than that!

In Sgt's defense, I thought the same thing when I read the thread title. Reading his story, though, it became clear that it was a different destination.

SeanNelson said:
oilerlord said:
The heater initially draws 9 kW, which introduces a variable that skews results based on changes in ambient temperature.
You can mitigate that initial high draw by preconditioning the car while it's plugged in to get the cabin warmed up before switching to on-board power.
In March (while it was snowing out here in CO) I was using the seat heaters and a long sleeve shirt. It seemed to handle most of the cold for me. It barely showed on the climate draw. If you can handle that...

I didn't think about San Fransisco when I posted this... I've corrected the title. :mrgreen:

Back