Oregon rebate

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GernBlanston

Any other recent Bolt buyers ticked off that starting in a month or two
Oregon will be giving cash rebates to electric car buyers?
Sigh...
[Maxwell Smart Voice]Missed it by THAT much.[/Maxwell Smart Voice]

I am happy for those in Oregon who will get a rebate.

Here in Wisconsin we pay $100 per year surcharge for driving an EV. Our state government does not count the sales tax paid on the EV battery and the sales tax paid on electricity to be an adequate contribution toward road maintenance, though these costs far exceed what a ICE car will pay in road tax.

Maybe someday our state will rejoin the progressive part of our nation. In the meantime, please think a kind thought or two for us who are the the red states.

I'm an accredited doctor of prescience so take this seriously.

I predict that within one day this is going to turn into an argument over fossil fuel subsidization and electrification incentives, and who's piece of the pie is bigger and more important than the other guys.

IMAdolt said:
I'm an accredited doctor of prescience so take this seriously.

I predict that within one day this is going to turn into an argument over fossil fuel subsidization and electrification incentives, and who's piece of the pie is bigger and more important than the other guys.
No, that subject belongs in the debate about the Federal subsidy, not the State!

It is interesting that the Bill also implements a new tiered registration system - the more fuel efficient your vehicle is, the more it costs to register. EV's are charged the highest, but they get a one year grace period when your Prius will cost you more starting Jan 1.

I picked up a new BOLT on 10/1/17 in Portland. Any Oregon incentives????????????????????????????????????????????

gblawyer said:
I picked up a new BOLT on 10/1/17 in Portland. Any Oregon incentives????????????????????????????????????????????
Short answer = no (on the Bolt).
There is an EVSE Tax Credit available of 50% (up to $750)
http://www.oregon.gov/energy/At-Home/Pages/Alternative-Vehicle-Charging-Fueling.aspx)

Incentives are not available on EV's purchased before 10/6/2017 (this is written into the transportation bill that establishes the rebate).
EFFECTIVE DATE
SECTION 176. This 2017 Act takes effect on the 91st day after the date on which the 2017
regular session of the Seventy-ninth Legislative Assembly adjourns sine die.
The 79th Legislative Assembly adjourned Sine Die, Friday, July 7, 2017

Vehicles purchased after that date may be eligible for rebates. The program will be funded by a .5% "privilege tax" on new vehicle sales, and that tax will not be implemented until Jan 1, 2018. People will have 60 days from the date of purchase/lease to apply, but the actual program details (and even rebate amounts) have not yet been set. There are some indications that only vehicles purchased after Jan 1, 2018 will qualify.

Title heading, but not part of the actual provisions.
ZERO-EMISSION AND ELECTRIC VEHICLE REBATES
(Rebate Program; Provisions Operative January 1, 2018)
The Oct 6th date can be justified here:.
SECTION 156. Rebates may be issued under sections 149 and 150 of this 2017 Act for
motor vehicles purchased or leased on or after the effective date of this 2017 Act.

The DEQ website had an option to get on a waitlist, but it is no longer there (???).
The precise rebate amounts, eligibility criteria and the application process will be established by rules that DEQ will be developing for consideration by the Environmental Quality Commission.
http://www.oregon.gov/deq/aq/programs/Pages/ZEV-Rebate.aspx

Right now the program is a mess and nobody knows when it will actually start, but your Oct 1 purchase is a definite no rebate available.

Full text of the bill:
https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2017R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/HB2017/Enrolled

I subscribe to get updates from the DEQ, and this just came in.

The electric vehicle rebate program, which provides rebates to Oregonians who purchase certain types of electric vehicles (including plug-in hybrid electric vehicles) and other qualifying zero-emissions vehicles (ZEVs), becomes effective on October 6, 2017. However, under the legislation, rebates can’t be made until there are sufficient funds available from the new tax introduced by the legislation to fund this ZEV rebate program. While the state will begin collecting funds on January 1, 2018, the amount of funds collected will not be sufficient to start granting rebates until the summer of 2018.
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has started to develop rules and its policy commission (the Environmental Quality Commission) will consider these rules to implement the program in the spring of 2018 following public notice and opportunities for public comment. One of the key issues to be determined in the rulemaking includes the date when purchases of qualifying vehicles will be eligible for a rebate. The state is considering allowing rebates for purchases made after January 1, 2018, when the fee on vehicle dealers becomes effective. If this approach is adopted, purchases made earlier in 2018 could be eligible for a rebate later in the year when funds from the dealer fee become available.
For more information about the program, please visit: http://www.oregon.gov/deq/aq/programs/Pages/ZEV-Rebate.aspx

So nothing purchased this year will qualify, and maybe not even vehicles purchased in the beginning of 2018.

Back