Bakersfield to Ridgecrest Revisited in a Chevy Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgipe

Chevy Bolt Supporter
We've been exercising the legs of our Chevy Bolt EV (electric vehicle) to gain a better understanding of its behavior on long trips. This is all part of our preparation for a drive at the edge of the Bolt's range.

For my wife's birthday, I offered Nancy an all-expenses paid trip to Ridgecrest, California, including dinner at a French restaurant. Such a deal, I know. How could she refuse?

As I noted on 2015 trip in a Nissan Leaf "the trip to Ridgecrest [is] challenging because of the distance—more than 100 miles--the climb over Walker Pass, and the area’s remoteness." (SeeEV Trip Report: Bakersfield to Ridgecrest via Mountain Mesa.)

RTEmagicC_Bakersfield_to_Ridgecrest_EVTripPlanner_Map.JPG.jpg

For EVs, the area remains remote. There are no charging stations on this route with the exception of one Tesla Supercharger. The Bolt can't use the Tesla station. There is one RV park at Mountain Mesa mid-way between Bakersfield and Ridgecrest. There's also an [url-https://www.plugshare.com/location/65723]RV park in Ridgecrest[/url]. Both have NEMA 14-50 outlets listed on PlugShare.

We've taken the Bolt on several trips out of the San Joaquin Valley, but not the route to Ridgecrest through the Kern River Canyon and the South Fork Valley over Walker Pass.

The summit of Walker Pass (5,300 feet) is nearly 1,000 feet higher than the Tejon Pass (4,200 feet) and 1,500 feet more than the Tehachapi Pass (3,800 feet). Each 1,000 feet of elevation gain requires from 1.5 to 1.75 kWh of energy from the traction battery.

RTEmagicC_Bakersfield_to_Ridgecrest_Elevation_Profile.JPG.jpg

On this route, there's 2,200 feet of elevation gain from Bakersfield to Mountain Mesa, and the climb to Walker Pass from Mountain Mesa requires another 2,800 feet of elevation gain. The route then drops 3,000 feet to Ridgecrest.

The Bolt's 60-kWh traction battery makes this route to Ridgecrest doable in one leg. And it's conceivable that you can do the entire trip on one charge as the return from Ridgecrest is largely downhill.

We chose not to chance it and took the opportunity to visit Alan Kirk and his wife Molly to pick up a few kWh as a cushion for the drive back. Kirk drives a Nissan Leaf and has his place listed on PlugShare. We charged at Kirk's home on our 2015 trip, but haven't been back since.

Though we didn't stop and charge at Mountain Mesa, we monitored our consumption as we passed by for comparison to our 2015 trip in the Leaf.

For this trip we used three estimators to calculate how much electricity we would consume on each leg: EV Trip Planner, GreenRace, and Chevy's Energy Assist app. We also knew how many kWh we used in 2015.

Here are our observations.

First, when planning such trips, it's wise to account for how many kWh you're going to use in the city you're visiting. We used 5.5 kWh just driving around Ridgecrest. While that wouldn't have exhausted the Bolt's range for the return trip, it would have left us with only 8 kWh remaining. More than enough, yes, but close enough that you would want to closely monitor your trips around town.

RTEmagicC_Bakersfield_to_Ridgecrest_and_Return_in_Bolt_Summary.jpg.jpg

Second, the consumption of the Bolt on this trip was comparable to that of the Leaf. The two trips in two different vehicles differed by only 6%. Again, not a surprise--the two vehicles are quite similar. But you don't know that until you've done the route once or twice.

On the trip to Ridgecrest we used 5% of consumption for A/C. The outside temperature was in the mid to high 90s. The car used 1% for battery conditioning (cooling). The complete trip required 6% for A/C and 1% for battery conditioning.

We also found that overall Chevy's Energy Assist was the most accurate estimator. However, EV Trip Planner's Leaf α and GreenRace's 30 kW Leaf estimates were more accurate on some legs of the route. These subtleties become critical when planning a trip at the edge of the Bolt's range and suggests that drivers know the limitations of each estimator.

Nicely written report, Paul. Sounds like you had an uneventful trip which is good.

I just have one question. I have been to Ridgecrest for work and am somewhat familiar with the area. What I don't understand is this - why would anyone voluntarily go there? You went to have dinner? It must be a good restaurant. I guess as a follow-up question, where is the French restaurant? Do you have any other places in the area to recommend for the next time I'm out there?

GetOffYourGas said:
Nicely written report, Paul. Sounds like you had an uneventful trip which is good.

I just have one question. I have been to Ridgecrest for work and am somewhat familiar with the area. What I don't understand is this - why would anyone voluntarily go there? You went to have dinner? It must be a good restaurant. I guess as a follow-up question, where is the French restaurant? Do you have any other places in the area to recommend for the next time I'm out there?

Brian, you do indeed know Ridgecrest!. It's taken as a joke around here (Bakersfield) that we'd go to Ridgecrest for a night out. ;)

We're outdoorsy types and that's just beautiful country--even the high desert. Coming back in the early morning the desert was spectacular, the vistas are truly grand. And there's an occasional F-16 buzzing around to make it interesting.

We hadn't been to the Maturango museum in years and it's a really nice museum for that part of the world.

And we enjoy Mon Reve (my dream) the French Restaurant. The owner always gets a kick out of some patron practicing their French. It's in the old downtown on Balsam. My stroganoff was excellent. My wfe loved her salmon.

We stay at the Clarion, it's an excellent value though they still haven't fixed the broken 120 outlet we were forced to charge from three years ago. Didn't need it this time.

My niece occasionally gets assigned to Ridgecrest for her top-secret work and we go over to visit her. This time it was just an excuse to get out of Bakersfield.

Glad you asked.

Paul

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll add it to my list. There aren't a lot of good places to eat there. But I live in NY and love Mexican food, so I always get my fill when I travel to CA. Any place in CA is better than the best place in upstate NY!

I haven't done too much exploring of the area, although I did get out to the Trona Pinnacles. It's worth the trip if you haven't been there.

We normally stay at the Clarion as well although it's normally out of necessity - we typically book at the last minute and it's the best place available. The rooms are dated, but I don't mind. They are big, clean, and the A/C works. That last point being the most important for someone from a cold climate.

GetOffYourGas said:
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll add it to my list. There aren't a lot of good places to eat there. But I live in NY and love Mexican food, so I always get my fill when I travel to CA. Any place in CA is better than the best place in upstate NY!

I haven't done too much exploring of the area, although I did get out to the Trona Pinnacles. It's worth the trip if you haven't been there.

We normally stay at the Clarion as well although it's normally out of necessity - we typically book at the last minute and it's the best place available. The rooms are dated, but I don't mind. They are big, clean, and the A/C works. That last point being the most important for someone from a cold climate.

Brian,

Many of the base's contractors stay at the Clarion. My niece does as well. They also have a big PV system on the roof. We just returned from a month on the road so we found the Clarion's rooms quite good by our standards--and the A/C does work. The latter is essential in Ridgecrest.

If you have time and it's the winter, Death Valley NP is close and the Panamint Valley is on the way. When we drive to DVNP we always stop at the little park in Trona. Our friends think we're nuts but I find Trona and the minerals there fascinating. They have a cute little museeum in Trona but you have to catch it open.

In the spring check out Short Canyon. It's reachable in a rental car. Spectacular wildflower displays at certain times.

There was a good Mediterranean restaurant but it's gone now. Sad. The town could use it.

There's an L2 station near where the Grape Leaf was but it's a restricted station. The only other place to charge is the RV park and there's no record anyone's been there since the Tesla supercharger station opened. Alan Kirk has his L2 up on PlugShare and that's it.

I saw that a Bolt drove from DVNP all the way to Mammoth and charged overnight at one of the resorts. That's quite a drive.

Paul

Back