California Lags in DC Fast-Charging Station Density for Electric Vehicles

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgipe

Chevy Bolt Supporter
Despite its reputation for being electric vehicle (EV) friendly, California lags behind other North American states and provinces in the density of non-Tesla EV fast-charging stations relative to population. California ranks fifth behind Oregon, Quebec, British Columbia, and Ontario, but ahead of Washington State. Oregon has 1.7 times more stations relative to its population than the much more populous Golden State.

Most EVs, including Teslas, charge at home. However, DC fast-charging stations are needed by EVs for intercity and regional trips. Tesla operates its own extensive network of fast charging stations designed for intercity travel. Non-Tesla EVs use a patchwork of fast-charging stations that are often concentrated in large urban areas unless policy directed the stations elsewhere.

British Columbia, Washington State, Oregon, and California are partners in the West Coast Electric Highway that would allow an EV to drive from Mexico to Canada along the Interstate 5 corridor. However, California never completed its portion of the network until recently. California instead focused on urban areas, leaving much of the state devoid of fast-charging stations needed for intercity trips.

RTEmagicC_Non-Tesla_DC_Fast_Charging_Station_Density.jpg.jpg

The absence of a robust non-Tesla DC fast-charging network for intercity travel may have inhibited the growth of EVs for more than just urban commuting in California. Tesla early on identified the need for a comprehensive network of fast-charging stations along major travel corridors as a prerequisite for EV adoption. See A Canadian Take on Tesla's Supercharger Network for an insightful analysis of this question.

Parts of California are still not served by DC fast-charging stations. After a much later start than other regions, the California Energy Commission (CEC) now expects to complete its network of fast-charging stations along major highways by 2020. The CEC's program--two large awards currently underway--would still leave areas of the state underserved, such as the East Side of the Sierra Nevada. There's a dearth of public, non-Tesla chargers of any kind along US 395 from Mojave to Bridgeport on the East Side. There are neither DC fast-charging stations nor any public Level 2 stations.

RTEmagicC_Grover-Beach-Trip-20150621-011_01.jpg.jpg

However, two separate programs could add stations to more remote areas. As part of its diesel-gate settlement, VW's Electrify America network is installing 160 stations across California and some of those are in more remote locations. Electrify America's vague maps don't provide much detail, but it appears they plan stations somewhere between Bakersfield and Mojave. They also have stations planned for somewhere between Inyokern and Olancha and a third station somewhere around Bishop. These three stations would serve the East Side of the Sierra Nevada.

In addition, CalTrans, the state's department of transportation, had planned for the installation of 37 stations to be operational by November 2018. Three of these planned stations are east of the Sierra Nevada: Coso Junction, Independence, and Bishop, California. Unfortunately, CalTrans will miss its deadline. CalTrans' stations are on hold, according to the Electric Auto Association's Raejean Fellows, pending the outcome of [urlhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_6_(2018)]Proposition 6[/url] in the November mid-term election. If passed, Proposition 6 repeals an increase in the road tax that CalTrans planned to use in part for the DC fast-charging stations.

Port Density

California does have the highest density of ports for non-Tesla EVs relative to population among the regions examined. But, the number of ports, called outlets by the Alternative Fuels Data Center, doesn't tell you how many vehicles can charge.

RTEmagicC_Screenshot_2018-09-14_Alternative_Fuels_Data_Center_Electric_Vehicle_Charging_Station_Locations.jpg.jpg

Each port serves one vehicle, but not all ports are active at one time. Most new DCFC stations in California have at least two charging kiosks. Each kiosk, or dispenser in Electrify America's vernacular, has two ports. In the typical installation, only one port is active at a time.

For example, EVgo operates one station at a Walmart in Bakersfield. This one station has two kiosks. Each kiosk has two ports. Thus, the station has four ports--but only two can be active at one time. As a result, the number of ports listed by the Alternative Fuels Data Center does not reflect how many vehicles can actually charge.

Stations in Tesla's supercharger network have dozens of ports. The Kettleman City and the Baker, California stations have 40 kiosks each, all with a single port. All ports are active all the time, although the level of charging may be reduced by the number of vehicles charging at one time.

Tesla operates 82 supercharger stations strategically placed along major as well as minor corridors in California. Notably, there are 1,088 Tesla DC fast-charging ports in the state and all are designed to be operational all the time. Tesla operates eight ports in remote Mammoth Lakes, another four ports in Lone Pine, and four ports in Inyokern, all on the East Side of the Sierra Nevada.

VW's Electrify America is installing multiple kiosks per station. Each kiosk has two ports, but like kiosks from other companies only one port is active on a kiosk at a time. At its station in Colby, Kansas, Electrify America has installed four kiosks for EVs using the American-German CCS standard, and one kiosk for the Japanese CHAdeMO standard. It's not clear if this mix of kiosks is in full compliance with VW's settlement agreement to be brand neutral. VW builds EVs using the CCS standard.

To summarize, California lags behind its peers in number of non-Tesla DC fast-charging stations relative to its population. The state has more ports than any other state relative to population, but not all of these ports can be used simultaneously to charge an EV. Currently, gaps remain along several major corridors. However, both the state and VW's Electrify America is installing hundreds of new stations that will be completed within the next 18 months.

Paul Gipe

marshallinwa said:
Almost all of the West Coast installs are CHAdeMO only, so they don't do Bolt owners a bit of good.

Not quite. For me it was a stretch to say that California completed its portion of the West Coast Electric Highway. There are stations there, but there are stretches where there are only CHAdeMO and stretches where there are only CCS--and some of those are the unreliable 24 kW stations.

So it's still a mixed bag.

Paul

marshallinwa said:
Almost all of the West Coast installs are CHAdeMO only, so they don't do Bolt owners a bit of good.

"Almost all" ?!!? That's not true at all (at least not in Calif). OR has a large number of CHAdeMO-only stations because they started putting them in before there were many CCS vehicles on the road, but in CA most non-Nissan DCFCs are either dual standard, or CCS-only . The latter are often those crappy 24 kW ChargePoint units - better than nothing (when working, that is).

BarfOMatic said:
marshallinwa said:

"Almost all" ?!!? That's not true at all (at least not in Calif). OR has a large number of CHAdeMO-only stations because they started putting them in before there were many CCS vehicles on the road, but in CA most non-Nissan DCFCs are either dual standard, or CCS-only . The latter are often those crappy 24 kW ChargePoint units - better than nothing (when working, that is).

I think we are discussing the West Coast Green Highway project which was started around 2014. California never did much at the time. The installs where AV, CHAdeMO chargers. At the time, CSS cars didn't exist.

If you go to Plug Share and filter for Webasto, you will see the the number of the DC chargers that are CHAdeMO only. Oregon is covered pretty well with them ,Washington state a bit less, California not so much. None of which helps Bolt owners.

It's unclear to me how many California installs of dual charging stations are part of the original West Coast Green Highway project. But clearly there wasn't any early on.

It's only lately in the last couple of months, that you will see any CSS chargers that are part of the West Coast Green Highway project here in Washington state, of which I believe 5 are currently up and running with another 3 or 4 in the building stage. As far as I can tell, that will be it as far of the West Coast Green Highway project in Washington state, since Electrify American is now starting to install DC chargers.

marshallinwa said:
BarfOMatic said:
marshallinwa said:

I think we are discussing the West Coast Green Highway project which was started around 2014. California never did much at the time. The installs where AV, CHAdeMO chargers. At the time, CSS cars didn't exist.

Actually, the original post was about "California lags behind other North American states and provinces in the density of non-Tesla EV fast-charging stations relative to population", and NOT specifically (or only) the "West Coast Green Highway project" . The West Coast Electric Highway was mentioned as part of that - a part of the "density of non-Tesla EV fast-charging stations" situation (or claim there-of). I don't know when (or if) the "West Coast Green Highway project", became the "West Coast Electric Highway" (which is what was referenced - as specified in the first post). However, "Almost all of the West Coast installs are CHAdeMO only" is significantly different from "historically, way back when the West Coast Green Highway project started, CHAdeMO-only fast chargers were installed in WA and OR".

There are still a lot of CHAdeMO-only DCFCs in OR and WA - based on a quick look in plugshare, maybe 20-35% of the total (and almost the totality of US-101 in OR). That is definitely not the case in CA, most installs were later - after CCS vehicles were available. The opposite situation as OR & WA is sometimes the case, as I-5 N of Sacramento all the way up to OR has quite of number of CCS-only DCFCs available. More than half of the DCFC sites on the west coast can handle CCS. "Almost all of the West Coast installs are CHAdeMO only" is just plain incorrect. It isn't 2014 anymore - for the past couple/few years, dual-standard DCFC installs are the norm (with the exception of Nissan dealerships). And since there are more DCFCs in CA than in OR and WA put together ...

BarfOMatic said:
marshallinwa said:
BarfOMatic said:
Actually, the original post was about "California lags behind other North American states and provinces in the density of non-Tesla EV fast-charging stations relative to population", and NOT specifically (or only) the "West Coast Green Highway project" . The West Coast Electric Highway was mentioned as part of that - a part of the "density of non-Tesla EV fast-charging stations" situation (or claim there-of). I don't know when (or if) the "West Coast Green Highway project", became the "West Coast Electric Highway" (which is what was referenced - as specified in the first post). However, "Almost all of the West Coast installs are CHAdeMO only" is significantly different from "historically, way back when the West Coast Green Highway project started, CHAdeMO-only fast chargers were installed in WA and OR".

Just to get the thread back on track. I've written elsewhere that California signed the agreement and then basically did nothing for several years. I wrote critically about that decision as well and it's implied in the article above. California made a decision to concentrate DCFC in urban areas and that was that until recently. I think ChargePoint installed those 24 kW CCS stations up I-5 on their own or with BMW and not part of the state's program--but I could be wrong. At the time I was driving a Leaf and they did nothing for me getting to Oregon so I didn't pay any attention to them. As a result we never drove the Leaf to Oregon. And until the EA station goes in we'd probably not take the Bolt to Oregon either.

As I said up thread, I was fudging about California completing its section of the West Electric Highway. It all depends on what you're driving and how determined you are. ;)

Paul

As an aside, 24 kW "fast" DC chargers are not very desirable on road trip corridors, since that gives about a 1.5:1 ratio of highway driving to charging time. 50 kW would give about 3:1, while Tesla drivers may be able to get 120 kW from Tesla SuperChargers for up to a 7.5:1 ratio. But note that, for any DC charging, cars may reduce wattage as their batteries get full, so the full speed DC charging may only be available when the car's battery is at lower levels of charge.

boltage said:
As an aside, 24 kW "fast" DC chargers are not very desirable on road trip corridors, since that gives about a 1.5:1 ratio of highway driving to charging time. 50 kW would give about 3:1...
While I agree that 50kW chargers are far superior to 24kW chargers, there really isn't the twofold difference in charging times that the power ratings would suggest. This is because most "50kW" chargers are current-limited and only charge the Bolt at around 45kW, and because the charge rate for a 50kW charger starts to taper downward earlier. The practical difference in charge rate may be closer to 1.6 or 1.7 times faster for the 125A 50kW chargers compared to the 24kW ones, rather than a full twice as fast. This is especially true if you start with a relatively high state of charge (30 to 50%), since it means you spend less time at the higher power levels that a 50kW charger can deliver.

SeanNelson said:
boltage said:
As an aside, 24 kW "fast" DC chargers are not very desirable on road trip corridors, since that gives about a 1.5:1 ratio of highway driving to charging time. 50 kW would give about 3:1...
While I agree that 50kW chargers are far superior to 24kW chargers, there really isn't the twofold difference in charging times that the power ratings would suggest. This is because most "50kW" chargers are current-limited and only charge the Bolt at around 45kW, and because the charge rate for a 50kW charger starts to taper downward earlier. The practical difference in charge rate may be closer to 1.6 or 1.7 times faster for the 125A 50kW chargers compared to the 24kW ones, rather than a full twice as fast. This is especially true if you start with a relatively high state of charge (30 to 50%), since it means you spend less time at the higher power levels that a 50kW charger can deliver.

This has been my experience. While 24 kW chargers will eventually disappear, they are still useful now--because we don't have a full-fledged network in California--unless of course you're driving a Tesla. And that was my original point. ;)

Paul

I think 25 kW DCFCs are great - at shopping malls or restaurants - not as part of a highway travel network. Go do your weekly groceries, plug in for 30-45 minutes, pick up 50 miles or so range.

Correction - 25kW DC charging is DC Level 1. 50kW DC charging is DC Level 2. You only get to DC Level 3 when you get above 90kW. The Bolt cannot charge at Level 3 rates.

Qt3E2dD.png

GetOffYourGas said:
Correction - 25kW DC charging is DC Level 1. 50kW DC charging is DC Level 2. You only get to DC Level 3 when you get above 90kW.
I find it very misleading to use "Level X" with DC charging, so I never refer to it that way. I just say "DC charging at xxx kW", which is unambiguous and clearly descriptive. If you're going to add an adjective to "DC Charging", why not just give the power level?

SeanNelson said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Correction - 25kW DC charging is DC Level 1. 50kW DC charging is DC Level 2. You only get to DC Level 3 when you get above 90kW.
I find it very misleading to use "Level X" with DC charging, so I never refer to it that way. I just say "DC charging at xxx kW", which is unambiguous and clearly descriptive. If you're going to add an adjective to "DC Charging", why not just give the power level?

Sure, that's even better. Just name the power level. But people throw around "Level 3" as if that is synonymous with all DC charging. It is not. The SAE defined these terms years ago, yet even the enthusiasts use them incorrectly. It's just sloppy and adds to confusion.

GetOffYourGas said:
SeanNelson said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Sure, that's even better. Just name the power level. But people throw around "Level 3" as if that is synonymous with all DC charging. It is not. The SAE defined these terms years ago, yet even the enthusiasts use them incorrectly. It's just sloppy and adds to confusion.

Yeah, that's why we need a new, completely different nomenclature! :roll: :roll:

"Hey, that is a Chargeway, Green, Level 3 charging station!" (CCS, 24 kW) :lol:

Edit: in all honesty, being able to say "speed 3" or "fast 5" (yes, two different units at different rates) would be a nice system to have if everybody could agree on it.

So, I convinced my brother-in-law to get a Bolt, with which he's been extremely happy. He lives in Medford Oregon and I've been egging him on to make another Bolt trip and visit his daughter in San Francisco again, as he successfully did this about a month ago, with minimal discomfort. Here's the text of his email which he just sent me, entitled Guess We Won't Be Going South For Awhile
Per Plug Share, CCS chargers in the following cities going south are inoperable:
Medford (2)
Yreka
Mount Shasta (new one)
Dunsmuir
Redding (1)
Corning
I'll go warm up the truck.

I haven't double-checked those stations, but does this tell us that California is serious, seven years now after the introduction of the modern BEV? Guess Fool Cells have priority...

JoeS said:
So, I convinced my brother-in-law to get a Bolt, with which he's been extremely happy. He lives in Medford Oregon and I've been egging him on to make another Bolt trip and visit his daughter in San Francisco again, as he successfully did this about a month ago, with minimal discomfort. Here's the text of his email which he just sent me, entitled Guess We Won't Be Going South For Awhile
Per Plug Share, CCS chargers in the following cities going south are inoperable:
Medford (2)
Yreka
Mount Shasta (new one)
Dunsmuir
Redding (1)
Corning
I'll go warm up the truck.

I haven't double-checked those stations, but does this tell us that California is serious, seven years now after the introduction of the modern BEV? Guess Fool Cells have priority...

1) use the ChargePoint app to see which ChargePoint stations are up - it's a real-time feedback.

2) For long distance travel, sign up for both GreenLots and EVgo. Both allow you to sign up for free with a "pay as you go" plan. You may never use them, but you have them if you need them.

As mentioned in other posts (like this one: http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5834&p=32392&hilit=101#p32392 ) some of the 24 kW DCFCs along northern I-5 and parts of US-101 south of San Jose are DOWN. However, for the trip you mentioned (Medford, OR to SF, CA) :

Leave Medford full

~50 miles to Yreka (new 50 kW ChargePoint DCFC is up and running, 24 kW unit down)
~100 miles to Redding (from Yreka) - 50 kW ChargePoint DCFC is up
~50 miles from Redding to Corning (24 kW unit is *up*)
~55 miles from Corning to Williams (24 kW unit is *up*)
~60 miles from Williams to Vacaville (24 kW unit is *up*)
~45 miles from Vacaville to FREE 50 kW DCFC in Richmond, at the "Rosie the Riveter" museum
(Lots of DCFC units in the Bay Area, once you leave Vallejo)

So, it seems like Medford (full) -> stop in Redding (50 kW after 150 miles) -> stop in either Corning or Vacaville (24 kW after either 105 mi or 165 mi) -> stop in Richmond (50 kW, after 45 or 105 miles) with multiple safety backups along the way. And that's *ONLY* the ChargePoint units. Add in the EVgo fast chargers (really only for I-80 from Sac <-> SFO, and Bay Area) and the trip is more than just "doable".

So, what's the problem?

JoeS said:
SparkE, thank you very much for taking the time to provide this detailed response.
I should have checked myself before posting. :oops:

Plugshare is crowd sourced. That can be good. But sometimes you get a report that isn't quite accurate. Or worse. It is not a bad first place to look. Do have your salt shaker handy. Usually accurate, but not always.

The really good part is getting information on non-networked stations. Pictures to help you find stations. Sometimes very helpful hints. Comments about nearby restrooms, food, coffee, ...

If the station or charger is networked, check that as well, or maybe first.

Back