Calif: Purple HOV decals

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkE

Purple Decals are now making their appearance (expire Jan 1, 2023 instead of Jan 1, 2022 for the red ones).

Yep. The first I saw was on a Prius Prime in the past week or so.

I just bought a new '19 Bolt Premier. I plan to hold out until I actually need them for later expiration, which means likely waiting for whatever comes after purple or after that. Currently, I don't travel during rush hour much so the expired white stickers on my Leaf never helped me that much or often.

SparkE said:
I think that purple is it - the current program ends in 2023, doesn't it?
No.

Purple stickers expire 1/1/2023: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/vr/decal

Per https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/clean-air-vehicle-decals
Program expiration dates

All new decals issued under this program expire on January 1 of the fourth year after the year in which they were issued. This provides an access period of three full years plus the partial year from when the decal was issued. For example, if a decal was issued anytime in 2019, it expires January 1, 2023.

Please note that this program will end, and any remaining valid decals will expire on September 30, 2025.

cwerdna said:

I just bought a new '19 Bolt Premier. I plan to hold out until I actually need them for later expiration, which means likely waiting for whatever comes after purple or after that. Currently, I don't travel during rush hour much so the expired white stickers on my Leaf never helped me that much or often.
They will expire on 1/1/2023, regardless of when you purchase them...

What is the eligibility difference between a red sticker and a purple sticker?

cranial1963 said:
cwerdna said:

They will expire on 1/1/2023, regardless of when you purchase them...
Doubtful. If I apply for them on 1/1/2020, I should receive stickers that that expire 1/1/2024.

This is just the same as finding any old (could be even a model year '11 Leaf) that has never applied for CA HOV stickers (pretty much would need to get a car that's never been registered in CA) before and applying for them now. That would receive purple stickers.

From https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/clean-air-vehicle-decals
Used vehicle decal eligibility and expiration dates

Clean Air Vehicle decals are issued to the vehicle, so they remain valid until their expiration date, even if the vehicle is transferred to a new owner. Decals are not permitted to be transferred from one vehicle to another.

If a used vehicle has never been issued a Clean Air Vehicle decal, the new owner may apply for one. As with new eligible vehicles, the expiration date is based on the year the decal is issued. For Purple decals issued in 2019, the expiration date will be January 1 2023.

With any used vehicle purchase, please note that most qualifying vehicles sold prior to 2017 were issued a decal. Also check the eligible vehicle list carefully as only the specific listed vehicle "engine families" qualify for the CAV decal.

Also that page has (in tabular form):
For Decals Issued on: January 1, 2019 or after to a vehicle that did not previously have a decal
Will Be Valid until: January 1st of the fourth year after the year of issue.
For example, a decal issued on June 24, 2019 would expire on January 1, 2023

For Decals Issued on: January 1, 2022 or later
Will Be Valid until: All decals expire on September 30, 2025

as well as
Program expiration dates

All new decals issued under this program expire on January 1 of the fourth year after the year in which they were issued. This provides an access period of three full years plus the partial year from when the decal was issued. For example, if a decal was issued anytime in 2019, it expires January 1, 2023.

Please note that this program will end, and any remaining valid decals will expire on September 30, 2025.
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/carpool-stickers says
Future Decal Programs

Future Clean Air Vehicle decals will expire on January 1st of the fourth year after the year they are issued. The color for future decals have not yet been determined.
The issue date is the key, NOT the vehicle purchase date.

Back