Wants to buy a Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toboltornot

I have a son, whom is 28 yr. old. He's got a job. He just paid off his 2006 ford F150. He is now looking to purchase a newer car, and the car he WANTS, is a Chevy Bolt. I believe its a 2019 LT 4dr. wagon. As a parent, I'm trying to find a good reason for him to need this, also as a parent, I'm trying to come up with good reasons for him not to purchase it. I think the dealer in Columbus, OH, saw him coming.
They are trying to sell him a 2019, and the payment plan they have highlighted for him, is the 84 month @ $549, with $1K down.
Im a dyed in the wool, gas guy, and don't think I'd ever buy a total electric car.
As far as the car...My son is telling me this car can go 300 plus miles on one charge. From what Ive been reading, its more like 240 miles. Ive also read about some issues with A/C and heating.
So, as a protective parent, not wanting there son to get into something he's going to regret, can I have some advice from the Bolt Community,
Thanks for any input.,

toboltornot said:
I have a son, whom is 28 yr. old. He's got a job. He just paid off his 2006 ford F150. He is now looking to purchase a newer car, and the car he WANTS, is a Chevy Bolt. I believe its a 2019 LT 4dr. wagon. As a parent, I'm trying to find a good reason for him to need this, also as a parent, I'm trying to come up with good reasons for him not to purchase it. I think the dealer in Columbus, OH, saw him coming.
They are trying to sell him a 2019, and the payment plan they have highlighted for him, is the 84 month @ $549, with $1K down.
Im a dyed in the wool, gas guy, and don't think I'd ever buy a total electric car.
As far as the car...My son is telling me this car can go 300 plus miles on one charge. From what Ive been reading, its more like 240 miles. Ive also read about some issues with A/C and heating.
So, as a protective parent, not wanting there son to get into something he's going to regret, can I have some advice from the Bolt Community,
Thanks for any input.,

$47116 is the total payments 84*549 +1000

Evergreen Chevy (and others perhaps even less) are selling the 2019 LT for $ $31,945

https://www.issaquahchevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/new-2019-Chevrolet-Bolt_EV-5dr_Wgn_LT-Issaquah-WA/3364530953

This is no dickering, but there would be license and sales tax. And I don't know your son's credit score. I suspect he can buy the car for rather less.

I think he is paying way too much $. Go to cargurus.com and put in your zip code. And search Chev Bolt.
Many Bolts are deeply discounted. You should be able to buy an LT model in the high $20k's.
I have seen new Bolts here on the west coast discounted as much a $14,000.

toboltornot said:
Thanks for any input.,
Have you ever driven an electric car?
More than a few people drive one for a while, and enjoy it enough they never want to go back to a gas car.

Ever.

Start every day with a full "tank", and if you have enough range, never stop for a "fill up". No gasoline or hot oil dirty smells in the garage or on your hands.

Instant on power, no waiting for an engine to spin up and worse a turbo. No shifting. Low end torque. And when you want to slow down, ease off the accelerator pedal and put some energy back into the battery. The Bolt has a lever to trigger more regeneration, or putting energy into the battery to slow down.

Once you get used to an electric, a gasoline car is a noisy, clunky, jerky, smelly and finicky thing that needs its oil changed all the time. Wears out brake pads all the time.

And the advantage for electrics is likely to grow, as battery prices have been plummeting for decades . Electric power is about 10kWh to the gallon of gas: the typical rate is $0.12 per kWh, which is the same as about $1.20 gasoline.

As far as your son, yes the Bolt can go 300 miles plus on one charge. But not at 85MPH. More like 45MPH.
The AC doesn't hit the range much, but the heater can in cold weather, along with denser cold air, water, snow, slush and ice on the roads and such. Range is horrid conditions can be half of EPA rated range. Many of the same effects hit gasoline cars as well, but few people log their gas mileage that closely.

Is he going to regret it: What kind of driving is he planning on? Commute to work? If so, how far? What other kinds of trips is he likely to take? The sweet spot for an electric is to drive most trips totally within range of home. Public charging can be a pain, and often isn't close to cheap, unlike home electric power. Yes, you can road trip, but is more of an adventure due to spotty public charging (yet this is changing). When I first drove an electric, Seattle area had one "L2" (240V) public charger, and no DC quick chargers. Now there are more than 500, and more than 100 DCQC stations.

If his driving fits "the profile" of what an electric can do well, he isn't making a mistake.

Does he have home charging plans? Does he own or rent? Garage? Carport? Or the side of a house? Or a pedestal? 120V or 240V? This is important, relying on public charging even if free isn't a good long term solution.

No, dad; get over it and join the 21st century. I'm a 75-year-old-car-guy who's been building gas engines for fifty years. We have a Bolt for daily use and love it. Someday, ICEs will be like horses are today; a very expensive hobby for those who can afford to keep them, but of no practical use.

Yes, dad, you're doing him a favor by getting him to shop around. Front him the loan when you've identified the best deal.

jack vines

Back