2017 Opel Ampera-e likely limited to Norway

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjr

From InsideEVs: We’ve now heard rumors that only few hundred Ampera-es will be delivered this year, and the balance of current reservations (several thousand) will need to wait into 2018.

It’s not clear why Norway (and in general Europe) would need to wait so long, as there is no such constraint on orders in the US for the Chevrolet Bolt EV.

“Hi!

Knowing that there are many rumors about the delivery of Ampera-e – both at elbilforum.no and in the various Ampera-e-groups on Facebook.

As often as otherwise fast speculation becomes truths – so it is okay with a little clarification.

As we have communicated all the time: The production of Ampera-e is allocated month by month – therefore, information about the delivery of the individual customer’s car must be updated based on this.

Great demand has already led to a long delivery time, and unfortunately it can also cause customers to experience delivery beyond what has been planned. Unfortunately, we still can not provide exact delivery date for cars scheduled to be delivered in 2018, as soon as it is ready, of course, the dealer will inform customer.

In spite of what is claimed, there are many cars on their way to Norway right now, and we are still following the plan to begin delivery of the first customer cars in late May and early June.

All customers who have not already confirmed a delivery date will receive information from their dealer Friday this week.

Stein Pettersen
PR Manager
Opel Norway“

Source: http://insideevs.com/opel-ampera-e-limited-delivieries-norway-2017/

It may have to do with the Opel division's sale last month. I'd bet they realigned their priorities to handle 1st party dealers before supplying what is now a third party.

jjr said:
From InsideEVs: We’ve now heard rumors that only few hundred Ampera-es will be delivered this year, and the balance of current reservations (several thousand) will need to wait into 2018.
That sounds very similar to what the dealers are telling us here in Canada.

I would not be surprised if GM is shipping vehicles to those areas where it gets the most 'bang for the buck'. NOT the highest sales price, but where 'total fleet mpg' and '% of total sales of non-polluting vehicles' are accounted for, and where the sales will do the most good (as in "will allow GM to sell more gas guzzling and high polluting/high margin SUVs without paying massive fines"): locations with CARB/ZEV mandates, for example.

Somehow, I don't think that is Norway (especially since GM has sold Opel). It might be applicable in some of the Canadian provinces (such as Quebec).

It seems like a fairly shortsighted strategy to me. They could establish a mindshare foothold that would be useful in the future, even if they don't make much money on the car right now. But I suppose no one at GM corporate is going to ask my opinion.

Nagorak said:
It seems like a fairly shortsighted strategy to me. They could establish a mindshare foothold that would be useful in the future, even if they don't make much money on the car right now. But I suppose no one at GM corporate is going to ask my opinion.

Nope, they won't; but I agree. I ordered one in NL and may (no confirmation received as yet) get one of a mere couple of dozen coming to the Netherlands. I'm sure if they really went for it they could sell thousands (thanks to our 'funny' tax scheme) even in the last half year of 2017.

"Short sighted" ?? "establish a mindshare foothold" ?? Really? They just sold their European division (Opel) after losing money for *decades*. Why would they want to pump up the Opel brand in Europe, after selling it? THAT would make no sense.

Well, perhaps not sell under the Opel brand then? But this also goes for other areas where the car is in very short supply like Canada. I'm thinking more generally about GM's interest in pushing the car.

Considering the reported problems (in software, strange problems with propulsion, the driver seat, ...) it seems like a good idea to slowly ramp up production. Selling limited quantities from limited dealerships (for the first several months) allows them to polish the vehicle - to make it better, "for the masses", Seriously, if I knew there were seat problems and weird entertainment problems (radio comes on by itself? pre-set stations disappear?) - which I do - I would wait until those problems were resolved before getting one. I would even wait until the next model year.

Maybe GM doesn't want defective product all over the world. Maybe they want to wait until all the known problems are resolved before shipping large quantities world-wide. Maybe they are trying to "establish a mindshare foothold" by selling a rock-solid product, one with the issues corrected, after being beta-tested by the early-adopters.

Then again, maybe they are just trying to rack up CARB/ZV credits where they can, and keep the price high where they can't, by shipping most product to CARB states.

Hell, maybe LG isn't producing enough 'good' battery packs.

Back