Size Comparison with Similar Cars

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilBlanchard

I found this very useful in understanding the size and shape of the Bolt EV:

http://evobsession.com/chevy-bolt-dimension-comparison-popular-models/

The shadow outline in this comparison is the Honda Fit:
2016-chevrolet-bolt-fit_overlay1.png

Ad this is the Bolt EV compared to the Kia Soul (which has an EV version):
bolt_with_Soul_shadow.png

The Bolt EV is about 2.5" wider than the Fit, and about 1.5" narrower than the Soul.

So, Bolt EV has a slightly modified shape than both of these cars. Any articles on how that changes things?

The article also compares the Bolt EV to two other cars - the point is to have a frame of reference, to gauge the its size. I am glad it is not big.

I wish they compared it to the i3 and the Leaf and the e-Golf; as those are the competitor EV's.

NeilBlanchard said:
The article also compares the Bolt EV to two other cars - the point is to have a frame of reference, to gauge the its size. I am glad it is not big.

I wish they compared it to the i3 and the Leaf and the e-Golf; as those are the competitor EV's.

I agree. But these pics were pretty awesome too. Thanks for sharing with Chevy Bolt Forum.

Yeah both look good. I like the SUV look of the Soul for sure but the Bolt has a sleek compact look to it that is also pleasing

The Bolt is 18" longer and 5 " wider than the Spark, and pretty much the same height.

I'd guess seating position is higher in the Bolt than the SparkEV, what with batteries under the floor. It should be a lot less tail-heavy when cornering.

EldRick said:
I'd guess seating position is higher in the Bolt than the SparkEV, what with batteries under the floor. It should be a lot less tail-heavy when cornering.
I've never felt the Spark EV was "tail-heavy." They both have a forward bias to their unladen weight distribution: Bolt EV 56/44 vs Spark EV 52/48.

I've never felt the Spark EV was "tail-heavy."
The issue with the Spark EV is the dynamic effect of 600 lb. of battery on and behind the rear wheels. I find that the tail end really wants to swing out during hard cornering, and I'm pretty sure that's why Chevy put wider tires on the back.

EldRick said:
I've never felt the Spark EV was "tail-heavy."
The issue with the Spark EV is the dynamic effect of 600 lb. of battery on and behind the rear wheels. I find that the tail end really wants to swing out during hard cornering, and I'm pretty sure that's why Chevy put wider tires on the back.

I concur...it's caught me by surprise a few times up on Angeles Crest hauling up and down hill with my Spark EV. It hauls man out of the corners that thing is just quick.

But the traction control and poor front wheel traction just kills the performance of this car. I truly believe this thing could be a second quicker at least to 60 if it was RWD and had better grip...at least. And in gear acceleration would be just that much better too.

But yeah, this thing wants to seriously swing its rear out but the transition is predictable if not safe.

I am really really hoping the Bolt is quicker in both off the line and in gear acceleration than my Spark EV.

What continues to shock me after 60 days of ownership is: The Bolt ain't that small!!!

There are tons of cars smaller on the road.

It only LOOKS small.
Looks are decieving. Some kind of optical illusion with its shape and contours.

I have a full size, crew cab, (4 door) Chevy Silvarado 2500 HD pick-up. That is about the longest and widest vehicle available that is not a duely on the rear. It takes up 99% of my driveway.

Shocking to me, my Bolt takes up about 80% of the driveway.

LOOKs small but is deceptive for sure.
And it's almost all passenger space.
Because there is no trunk and a tiny hood.
I think maybe the tiny hood messes with our brains.

The Bolt is about 3-4" larger in all dimensions than the Honda Fit.

Bolt: 164" * 70" * 63"
Fit: 160" * 67" * 60"

The Fit has one more ft^3 of interior room (96 versus 95 ft^3) and the same cargo room (17 ft^3) in EPA listings.

Back