Easteregg on regen-paddle

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beetle

While looking at the Bolt's steering wheel, this interesting bit was found:

happy-guy.jpg

Any idea why there is a happy guy on the regen-paddle?

Beetle said:
It's not a happy guy, it's a regen icon. It consists of a vertical rectangle on the right divided into an upper square labeled "+" and a lower square labeled "-" to represent a battery, and an arrow on the left pointing into the rectangle to represent electricity being fed into the battery.

SeanNelson said:
Beetle said:
It's not a happy guy, it's a regen icon. It consists of a vertical rectangle on the right divided into an upper square labeled "+" and a lower square labeled "-" to represent a battery, and an arrow on the left pointing into the rectangle to represent electricity being fed into the battery.

But won't electricity being fed into the battery make you a happy guy?

roundpeg said:
SeanNelson said:
Beetle said:
But won't electricity being fed into the battery make you a happy guy?
As long as I can also do it via the brake pedal...

kammiz said:
this car does not regen via brake pedal. pedal is hydraulic brakes only.

Chevy has said many times that Bolt has blended brakes. To my knowledge, only Tesla has pure friction brakes.

page 212 of the bolt owners manual talks about the "Regenerative Braking" action. It states that the system stores energy from slowing the vehicle then applies the hydraulic brakes after the regen session has completed efficiently.

kammiz said:

This is definitely not true. It's not how it works in the Volt. It's not how it worked in the Bolt in my test drive. You get regen up until a certain point, and then the friction brakes kick in. As long as you don't slam on the brakes you can get solid regen using the brake pedal.

this was my source back then, so sorry, i did not make this up. but i have learnt since then the car did get blended brakes, allthough not adaptive cruise still.

http://insideevs.com/exclusive-inside-the-chevrolet-bolt-with-its-chief-engineer-new-details/

When I apply the brakes the regen wheel spins, and it shows positive KWs into the battery. So unless both of those icons are incorrect, the brakes do in fact regenerate power.

kammiz said:

No the Bolt has iBooster brakes from Bosch (look under the hood and on YouTube for details of the technology). It is brake by wire until the end of the stroke when it switches to hydraulic.

On blended brakes specifically the Bolt lead engineer stated they 'didn't want that for this car'. It's a bit of a technical detail as to what blended exactly means, at any rate different braking profiles can be loaded into the iBooster firmware. It appears that with the Bolt (via various documentation) they opted for light regen, switching quickly to hydraulic. I believe they chose this because of the heavy region available from L mode and the regen paddle. With these options for regenerative they probably figure that people will only use the brake when they really need a hydraulic brake, and indeed for my driving that is exactly right.

Back