Schneider EV2420WS charging station problem with CBEV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roperld

My Schneider EV2420WS charging station charges the CBEV when not in the car's delayed-charging mode, but does not work when the car is in its delayed-charging mode. When I set the CBEV to delayed-charging mode, the charging station starts as if it is going to delay charging, but after about 10 seconds a click is heard in the charging station and the delayed-charging long-blink light on the CBEV goes out. Then I have to turn the breaker switch off and then back on to get the charging station to do normal charging.

I've never done delayed charging but my "old" Schneider would end a full charge with
the red light. I would have to cycle the breaker to return the charger to normal. I
quarried the company and for my situation it was that the limit on ground fault was
very small back then (six to seven years). The gentleman said that ground fault range
had increased on newer models. He told me that no damage would occur.

I know this does not address your issue but it might be in the ballpark.....

Sounds like a problem with the EVSE (but possible it is the Bolt).

For delayed charging, the EV will put the pilot signal to 9V @ 1 kHz (Status B). The J1772 standard allows this to be held indefinitely before moving to Status C (6V = Ready/Charging).

The 1 kHz signal is Pulse Width Modulated to indicated to the EV how many amps are available from the EVSE (50% PWM on the pilot = 30 A).

Since you need to reboot the EVSE, I suspect that is where the problem lies. It could be a design flaw, or a failure. Can you plug into a different EVSE and implement delayed charging successfully? Friend, neighbor or private party on plugshare? Theoretically, you could test it on a public EVSE, but they may disable the delayed charging feature.

Yes, I did plug into another EVSE and it worked. Rarely the Schneider works, but most of the time not.

I own one, and find the Schneider to be a great charger.

You really don't need to set the car for delayed charging because the charger can easily be set for delay.

I imagine that if you plug it in and it is not charging, the charger may turn itself off as a safety feature.

My advice, don't post your question here because nobody will know anything about this.... Call Schneider directly.... They answer the phones after only a few rings.

Don't let people here GUESS about stuff they don't know..

powersurge said:
I own one, and find the Schneider to be a great charger.

You really don't need to set the car for delayed charging because the charger can easily be set for delay.

I imagine that if you plug it in and it is not charging, the charger may turn itself off as a safety feature.

My advice, don't post your question here because nobody will know anything about this.... Call Schneider directly.... They answer the phones after only a few rings.

Don't let people here GUESS about stuff they don't know..
First off Schneider does not sell chargers

You are the one guessing. Any EVSE (the "charger" is in the car, not mounted on the wall) that complies with the SAE J1772 standard will allow for delayed charging. If it does not, it is either a design problem or a defective EVSE. The EVSE never "shuts itself off" - it is always "on" when plugged in. The pilot signal is used to by the charger (built in the car) to control the flow of electricity. The EVSE responds to the request by the charger, and if all systems are "go", then will provide power. If it is functioning correctly, the Schneider should sit there indefinitely in the B state. If it is going into a fault mode, it is a sign that something is wrong (particularly since the breaker needs to be toggled to clear the error state)

Yes, the OP should contact Schneider as there is a problem with their EVSE. Using the delay on the EVSE instead of the car may be a short term solution, but I would be concerned that the EVSE may fail completely since it is currently not functioning correctly.

"Don't let people here GUESS about stuff they don't know."

We post questions, information and suggestions on these sites to help others and provide insight. I would not consider that "guessing".

I also have this Schneider EVSE installed at my office. My Chevy Bolt is now ordered and I have not yet received it but my fathers 2017 Volt experienced a similar problem. When initially plugging in the Volt, the fault indicator on the Schneider EVSE would sometimes turn red (ground fault) and would require several attempts to plug in/out to properly start charging. Even after a proper start and a successful full charge, the EVSE's fault indicator would usually turn red and then the breaker would need to be reset to reset the EVSE.

We called Schneider. They were completely helpful and provided us replacement circuit boards. If I remember correctly, they mentioned that the original EVSE units that were produced allowed only a 5mA ground fault limit where the new board allowed a 20mA ground fault limit. My units were purchased and installed in 2012.

Back