rear well modification

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnyman

modified the rear well today with some plywood i had lying around. much more efficient use of space. i can now fit my portable evse, all my 240 adapters, a 12 volt compressor, a tire patch kit, the tow bar, gloves and some tools, with room to spare! i had to do a minor mod to the foam deck. i cut a series of slots in the underside splines to accommodate the fore/aft running piece of plywood. i also drilled a small hole in the bottom of the foremost piece of plywood to accommodate a screw coming up through the floor.

Nicely organized!

On a related note, does anyone know if a spare tire (donut, obviously) would fit in that well? I've never had a flat on the road that can be fixed with fix-a-flat. Any flat I've ever gotten has completely destroyed the tire (e.g. from hitting a pothole).

sunnyman said:
modified the rear well today with some plywood i had lying around. much more efficient use of space. i can now fit my portable evse, all my 240 adapters, a 12 volt compressor, a tire patch kit, the tow bar, gloves and some tools, with room to spare! i had to do a minor mod to the foam deck. i cut a series of slots in the underside splines to accommodate the fore/aft running piece of plywood. i also drilled a small hole in the bottom of the foremost piece of plywood to accommodate a screw coming up through the floor.
I realize you did this to reclaim that space as your own, and good on you. Here is what I used, for underneath the upper cargo divider: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VVPWSXM (note I have no referral on this link - if there is one, I didn't put it there).

You might want to sand those cut edges smooth, and maybe cover them with something softer, to stop the wood from chewing up the paint (plastic?).

LeftieBiker said:
You might want to sand those cut edges smooth, and maybe cover them with something softer, to stop the wood from chewing up the paint (plastic?).

maybe you misunderstood me. i removed all the wood and replaced it with rigid foam. the foam is softer than all things/surfaces contacting it.

sunnyman, I looked at the picture of the foam version and like it a lot. Then I noticed the jack with the rounded contact point. What was that jack made for? This is on my to-do list and I was initially planning to copy your plywood idea, but now....

I probably missed where you mentioned it, but what are you using as your spare tire, and have you already posted a picture of it in your car?

mchapmon said:
sunnyman, I looked at the picture of the foam version and like it a lot. Then I noticed the jack with the rounded contact point. What was that jack made for? This is on my to-do list and I was initially planning to copy your plywood idea, but now....

I probably missed where you mentioned it, but what are you using as your spare tire, and have you already posted a picture of it in your car?

The jack is from a 1982 -2003 S10 Chevy Blazer pickup. The rounded contact fits perfectly in the jack points of the Bolt.

The spare i am using is full size and comes from a 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco. I bought 5, had them powder coated semi-gloss black. Four are on the car, the fifth is the spare. The tire on the spare is like the stock tires, but without the goop. The plan, when the stock tires wear out, is to replace all the tires without the goop. the wheels are about 5 lbs lighter than stock. the goop is about 2 lbs. eventually, as a result, all the corners will be reduced by 7 lbs of rotational mass.

here is a link to the spare photo. you may see a thin piece of rigid, black plastic. i use this like a shoe horn when putting the spare in or taking it out to protect the bottom of the rear seats. i load it in the center, rear-most first, lower it, then slide it all the way to the right. I then put a scrap piece of rubber, diamond plate matting on top (second picture)

https://imgur.com/Zf2Yx89
https://imgur.com/u2IUl1D

Thank you again. I was told an S10 jack would fit, but didn't know if there was a difference in the jack that occurred when the S10 was restyled. Also happy to see it loaded in your car as well. I'm more confident of this working now, before I spend the time, effort and money to do the same basic thing. Part of being just the right amount of lazy, I guess.

Seeing the blacked out wheel, I remember seeing your Bolt wearing those wheels in a thread that I'll find in the next couple of minutes, I'm sure.

I have an LT which didn't come with a false floor. I want to install one. My son 3D printed a set of brackets. I'm going to make the "floor" out of plywood and cover it with something cute. I will leave the design of the covering up to my daughter. She is pushing for a stripped two-tone gray material with red stitching and a lightning bolt ⚡ embroidered on it. What do you think?

Back