Time lapse video charging at up to 55 kW

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffN

https://electricrevs.com/2018/07/17/watch-a-bolt-ev-at-a-chargepoint-express-250-charge-at-up-to-55-kw/

I can't wait to experience this for myself. The most I've ever charged at is 125A, although the majority of stations nearby are limited to 100A. A 20-50% improvement would be great!

Pretty soon, we are going to look back at 55kW and shake our heads. We thought that was fast? An hour and a half to a full charge? How about 20 minutes to an 80% charge! Now that is a future I can get excited about. That's when many of my friends and family who are on the fence will ditch their gassers and buy EVs.

You, too, should all be able to pay through the nose to DCFC at 150A, via an EA station coming soon near you to rip you off !!

:mrgreen:

SparkE said:
You, too, should all be able to pay through the nose to DCFC at 150A, via an EA station coming soon near you to rip you off !!

I’d rather pay $10 and comfortably make it to my destination than hypermile 10MPH under the speed limit with heat off in subzero temps just to make it home with less than 4% left.

GetOffYourGas said:
SparkE said:
I’d rather pay $10 and comfortably make it to my destination than hypermile 10MPH under the speed limit with heat off in subzero temps just to make it home with less than 4% left.
Yep, far better to have the option if you need it. And it's not just the ability to charge where you need to, but when. If the EA chargers are priced higher then they'll tend to be less busy, which means you have a better chance of finding a plug available when you need it.

GetOffYourGas said:
SparkE said:

Absolutely. As I mentioned elsewhere a month or so ago, even though EA is gaining a rather dominant position (by being forced to dispense billions and billions for infrastructure) and charges way too much, at least it *will* allow coast-to-coast traveling, and access between the vast majority of all major urban centers (say, over 100,000 people). If you need it, you don't mind paying through the nose so much.

Right. And I was speaking from experience. Last weekend, that's exactly what happened. My son and I arrived home, very chilly, with 4% battery charge left. I stopped to check out an EA station about 65 miles from home, which is not yet open. If it was, I suspect that $10 would give me the boost I needed. If you look at price per kWh, sure it's paying "through the nose". But that's a small percentage of my total electric consumption, and I'm paying for convenience / availability.

It seems that EA is priced for the max rates, which makes sense. They charge per minute, regardless of whether you are pulling 55kW or 350kW. Naturally the Bolt will cost more per kWh.

And yes, I could possibly save money by driving a gas car. But there are reasons I drive electric that go beyond money. In fact, if money was the only driving motivation, I'd still be driving a 10-year-old Honda Insight instead of having sold it years back for an EV.

Back