Ms. Barra's '18 Bolt to-do list

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeanNelson said:
GetOffYourGas said:
iletric said:
Are you sure about that? My back gets heated.
Same here. And my daughter claims that the rear seats heat her back too.
Interesting - I've certainly never noticed it. Now I'm going to have to check it out.

Take the back seat comment with a grain of salt. I have not personally verified - it could just be a 6-year-old saying "me too!" although she is very insistent about it.

SeanNelson said:
GetOffYourGas said:
iletric said:
Are you sure about that? My back gets heated.
Same here. And my daughter claims that the rear seats heat her back too.
Interesting - I've certainly never noticed it. Now I'm going to have to check it out.
OK - I checked during my drive this morning and sure enough the seat back does heat! I tend to wear more layers of clothing on the upper half of my body in the winter and it doesn't press against the seat as hard as my bottom does, so it's a much more subtle effect - but it is there.

After reading this thread, I just checked too and the seat heater heats both the bottom of the seat and the lower lumbar region of the back on both the driver and passenger seats.

I always though the heat I felt in the lower back was just radiant heat from the seat bottom but there apparently a separate heating ekement in there too.

sgt1372 said:
After reading this thread, I just checked too and the seat heater heats both the bottom of the seat and the lower lumbar region of the back on both the driver and passenger seats.
We learn something new every day...

sgt1372 said:
I always though the heat I felt in the lower back was just radiant heat from the seat bottom but there apparently a separate heating element in there too.
Chalk it up to GM's ingenuity.

ScooterCT said:
There are two types of changes that happen in any manufacturing plant. Those that are marketed as new features, and those that are quietly rolled into production as invisible engineering changes.

I'd be really shocked if the latter weren't already happening on a monthly basis.

If you look on GM parts online web sites for a Bolt battery, you will see that a quiet engineering change has already been made, since there are two versions of the Bolt battery that can be ordered.

boltage said:
ScooterCT said:
If you look on GM parts online web sites for a Bolt battery, you will see that a quiet engineering change has already been made, since there are two versions of the Bolt battery that can be ordered.
Except, as is constantly pointed out to the people who mention this, that web site contains pictures of the claimed "Bolt" battery - they are of the T-shaped Volt battery, which we know there are two versions of (for the Gen1 vs Gen2 Volt). Therefore the information on that page appears to be a typo and does not apply to the Bolt at all.

Not surprising.
There is also a typo in the users manual that says the Bolt charges at up to 80 kw. The actual upper limit is 60 kw on the digital on screen display in the car. (And I heard 60 kw at a few pre-release press conferences.)

Not anything to cry over, as a DCFC at 80 kw if it existed would shave only about 3-4 minutes off the recharge time...

There are also references to “starting the Bolt engine” and “buying a 12v battery with enough cold cranking amps”.

Old habits (and terminology) die hard...

It is my understanding that the Bolt needs a DCFC rated at "80kW" or higher to charge at full speed. Since they are rated at 500V, that's 160A. So really the Bolt charges at up to 160A. BUT the battery tapers at about 370V. So really the Bolt only charges up to 160A * 370V = 59kW.

I feel like the DC charging profile is very conservative. It only ever charges at 1C, and tapers really early. It may be the chemistry of this battery, or it may be GM being conservative. I hope that future model years will be able to DCFC more aggressively. Like, up to 80% in 30 minutes.

Back