Bolt compared with other small tall wagons: Fit, 225xe, CMAX

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoomit

The most direct competitor to the Bolt EV is the Tesla Model 3, but we can also look at the body style of the Bolt EV and make some comparisons to similar vehicles. The Bolt EV is a small, tall 5-door wagon. This body style dates back to the late 80's Toyota Tercel Wagon and the Toyota Matrix from the 00's. It's a body style much more prevalent in the rest of the world, as the US consumer has typically gravitated to larger SUVs and more recently CUVs instead of wagons when more space and practicality is needed than a sedan allows. The European classification for this body style is compact multi-purpose vehicle (MPV).

From an engineering and design perspective, there are two vehicles that stick out in my mind as interesting comparisons to the Bolt, assuming we use the small tall wagon as the foundation for comparison: the Honda Fit and the BMW 225xe Active Tourer.

The Honda Fit has been around many years and is widely known for it's efficient interior packaging. It's an inexpensive, practical car that provides a "traditional" car comparison point to the Bolt EV.

The BMW 225xe Active Tourer requires a little more introduction, especially to US buyers. This vehicle will not be available in the US. The ICE version has only been available for just over a year in Europe. BMW will soon be selling the 225xe in Europe. It is a PHEV, with a 3-cylinder engine in front and an electric motor in the rear. The battery is small (7 kWh) and hence the electric range is low (~20 mi). This short electric range is similar to the other PHEVs from European auto manufacturers. What makes the 225xe an interesting comparison to the Bolt EV is its green car credentials and, especially for this comparison, it's body style as a small tall wagon.

evtsuLM.jpg

EwKRMy8.png

So obviously these cars have quite a few differences, notably the luxury and technology content as reflected in the wide price disparity, but their similarities are striking. The 225xe is larger and heavier but the passenger and cargo space is challenged by the complex hybrid powertrain. The Fit is smaller and lighter, but uses the internal space very efficiently.

Another car you might have included would have been the Focus Hatchback, which I think looks quite a bit like the Volt

Cargo Volume: 33/14 Cu feet (electric) 44/23 (ICE) (vs 57/17 Bolt)
Passenger Volume 90 (vs 94 Bolt)
Wheelbase 104 (vs 102 Bolt)
Length 173 (electric) 172 (Ice) vs 157 (Bolt)
Width excluding mirrors 72 (vs 67 Bolt)
Height 58 (vs 62 Bolt)
Comment: Bolt is smaller yet has better interior volume...nice! But at same time, Bolt is a pretty small car, at least by my standards)

Power 143 Hp (electric) 125 to 350 (ICE) (vs 150 Bolt)
Comment: Electric performance should be similar, Bolt probably quicker due to presumably lower weight

Price after 7500 tax rebate: $21,600 (Electric base model is fully equipped, only option is leather seats, add $1000) $19,000 (ice base) vs $30,000 (Bolt, presumably base)
Comment: Bolt is good value but Focus much more affordable; comparably equipped Bolt probably $34K after tax incentive. Ford is currently offering $3500 customer cash, so actually $19K (Fully loaded Focus) vs $34 (Fully loaded Bolt). That is a huge difference

Electric range 100 miles for 2017 model (vs 200 Bolt)
Comment: Obviously in different classes

Well the Focus is clearly a hatchback and doesn't meet my small, tall wagon discriminator, but the C-MAX Energi may be a better direct comparison than the 225xe. Its back seat is significantly smaller than either the Bolt EV, Fit, or 225xe though, at around 24 cu ft vs 40 cu ft in the Bolt EV. I'll update the chart to include the C-MAX Energi info.

2015-ford-c-max%20energi-side_9884_001_640x480_j7.jpg

The reason I included the Focus (apart of course from the fact that I drive one) is that it is available fully electric (C-max is not...it's a pathetic weak PHEV) and that it's outline looked similar to the Bolt, at least to my eye.

Would the I3 with range extender fit into this table?

The i3 is not the same body style. The back seat is small with only suicide doors. It has some of the packing efficiency of a dedicated EV, with the floor-mounted battery, but the space for the range extender engine is always lost.

Besides, the Bolt EV is breaking into the normal vehicle market, with much fewer range constaints than the i3 (even REV) and any other common-man BEV out there. I think its important to compare it to any car, not just the plug-in cars out there.

Why would someone pay $10k for a Bolt over a Fit? They both have the same functionality. I would get the Bolt because of the more responsive handling and acceleration, simpler maintenance, and reduced operating costs.

That's why I got my Spark EV. That linear, uninterrupted acceleration is addictive. I just wish it was RWD, because the FWD torque steer is hideous. The RWD or AWD Tesla Model 3 will be the performance BEV to beat, but I digress.

The Bolt EV will be a "normal" car, that happens to be a BEV, so I wanted to compare it against cars with similar form. By normal, I mean it won't have the serious limitations that <100mi range BEVs have, or the packaging challenges and complexity of PHEVs.

I'd pay for a Bolt over a Fit because of the EV driving experience like you, but also because the Bolt has about 10x the tech features as the Fit.

Yeah-- That might be optimistic but it's what C&D got out of the manual car. Motor Trend got 7.9 manual and 9.1 CVT.

Yep, Motor Trend has a special gift for getting the absolute lowest recorded times. As long as you're using the same source for all, that's good for comparison purposes.

Well, 0-60 times are always pretty rough. They vary depending on whether a rollout used and a host of other factors. The most valuable ones are when a magazine does a direct comparison between cars using similar methods under similar conditions. Of course, manufacturer ratings also vary widely in how optimistic they are.

I think the Soul EV is a close comparable. Definitely a small, tall wagon.

Cargo volume (seat up/down): 18.8/49.5 cu. ft.
Passenger volume: 97.1 cu. ft.

Wheelbase: 101.2 in.
Length: 163.0 in.
Width: 70.9 in.
Height: 63.0 in.

Front: MacPherson strut
Rear: Torsion Beam

Power: 109 hp
Torque: 210 lb-ft
Battery capacity: 27 kWh

0-60: 9.2s (Motor Trend)
Range: 93 miles

Exterior dimensions are very close. More interior room because it's a box.

I thought the Fit EV is no longer available? So are you comparing used? Actually, as I type this I wonder if you just mean the ICE Fit... I'll check.

Yep, you're just meaning the ICE Fit :D

I agree, the Soul EV is a good comparison.

What about the Mercedes B-Class? That is definitely a small wagon.

The Honda Fit EV is no longer available - Honda sold their required number to meet CARB requirements and then stopped producing it.

B-Class ED would seem like a worthy comparison...

Back