Tesla Model 3 reservations

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DucRider

Tesla will open up reservations March 31st in stores and April 1st on line. There is no "Signature" series and the deposit will be $1000.

I think Tesla had to react to the Bolt hitting the market before their Model 3

If they structure it like in the past, it is fully refundable until a week after you configure your car (and it's non-transferable if you're thinking of making a couple of extra bucks by selling a high place in line)

If they follow the pattern set by the Model X, deliveries will likely be in 2018 or even later. First Model X deposits ($40K) were taken Aug 1st, 2012 with a 1 year delivery promise. A handful were delivered in Oct/Nov 2015, but volume deliveries are just now beginning.

I'm likely to go with the Bolt and wait for the dust to settle on the Model 3. When they take your $1K, you won't even know the specs on the car - they will release them over a period of time (as they figure them out?). No announcement yet on Supercharging access with the Model 3, and Model s/X owners are pushing for no or limited access for the Model 3.

Tesla could be reacting, but just by opening deposits I don't know that they'll deter many from purchasing a Bolt EV, at least for in the meantime between Bolt's release in a matter of months, and the Tesla Model 3 likely still 2 years out...

I wonder if GM uses their normal roll out plan if the model 3 will beat the Bolt to my area. I would bet money they will say the 2017 model Bolt will only be sold in certain states like the 2016 Volt. Then by the time they trickle a few 2018 model cars into my area it will be 2018 already at the earliest. At least with Tesla you can get a spot in line. When the Volt gen 1 made it into my area it was 2 or 3 years after the release and dealers where charging anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000 more than MSRP.

EvDreamin said:
I wonder if GM uses their normal roll out plan if the model 3 will beat the Bolt to my area. I would bet money they will say the 2017 model Bolt will only be sold in certain states like the 2016 Volt. Then by the time they trickle a few 2018 model cars into my area it will be 2018 already at the earliest. At least with Tesla you can get a spot in line. When the Volt gen 1 made it into my area it was 2 or 3 years after the release and dealers where charging anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000 more than MSRP.
I would be inclined to think the Bolt will release in the same manner as the recent Volt rollout - CA, then the other CARB/CAFE States, then nationwide. Most likely widely available by mid 2017.

Tesla is claiming to start Model 3 production sometime in 2017. Your "reservation" is just the chance to place your order - they build similar configurations in batches, so the first orders are not necessarily the first built. You'll likely be able to get a Bolt before a Model 3, but we don't have any real specs/pricing on either (and the Model 3 details will be revealed a little at a time over the next year or so - not at the March kick-off).

The $1k deposit with Tesla is refundable, so probably wouldn't hurt to put it out there (if you have it to spare for a year or three).

I don't see any need to reserve unless someone wants to be first on the block with a high-zoot version. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm just not in that category. I guess it's a way to support Tesla if someone wants to do that.

I think I'm just going to keep my money and wait to see what's on the market in 2018.

EvDreamin said:

Next time please visit us in California. We've been buying Volts here for under invoice, and for about $1000 you can ship it anywhere in the country.

Three dealers in Los Angeles alone have been competing hard for the Volt (and Spark) market, and they make great deals. I'm sure they will do the same for Bolt unless it's extremely scarce everywhere.

I'm pretty sure you don't even need to come here...I think they will do the whole deal remotely and ship you the car.

It sucks so bad living in the Midwest. I followed the EV1 and tried to get one. Even though GM said they would sell it everywhere they never did. I followed the LEAF before it had a name. I called Nissan the first day they were taking reservations and put down my $100. Nissan put the LEAF in rental fleets 2 years before they would sell it to me even though I was one of the first 2000 people to reserve one. So I will never buy a Nissan. I can't help but think GM will say wow demand is high and sell the bolt in the coastal states for the first couple of years.

I don't need to be the first on the block. I just want one before the federal tax credit run out. I have no state credit or HOV. GM has only lied I see no way they can be trusted.

Breezy said:
I don't see any need to reserve unless someone wants to be first on the block with a high-zoot version. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm just not in that category. I guess it's a way to support Tesla if someone wants to do that.

I think I'm just going to keep my money and wait to see what's on the market in 2018.

Waiting to see what's available in 2018 will likely mean adding a year or more wait time for a Model 3 compared with those that put down a reservation. Depending on what is shown, I am considering putting down a refundable deposit whether or not I end up deciding to get the Tesla. At least then I'd have the option of buying one instead of waiting 1 or more years for that option to become available to me.

ssspinball said:
Waiting to see what's available in 2018 will likely mean adding a year or more wait time for a Model 3 compared with those that put down a reservation. Depending on what is shown, I am considering putting down a refundable deposit whether or not I end up deciding to get the Tesla. At least then I'd have the option of buying one instead of waiting 1 or more years for that option to become available to me.
A couple of things I'm considering:
1) Tesla is only going to reveal images/pricing in March
"And the images will show just the basic concept, with the details to emerge in measured amounts as production nears."

2) With Teslas track record, it is extremely likely that the Model 3 will be at least a year behind the Bolt, even if you win the reservation/order lottery and get delivery at the beginning of production.

I'm likely to get the Bolt to replace the Fit EV when the lease ends in January, and wait till the dust settles and pick up a Model 3 to replace our gas guzzler (C-Max Hybrid).

GM will probably also hit the 200K mark that begins the phase out of the Federal tax incentive before Tesla does (with the Volt and Spark EV, they are almost halfway there already)

Yep, I'm expecting the Model 3 to be very late, but I'd rather wait 1 year late with a reservation that 2+ years late w/o. :)

I think a Bolt lease would be an excellent option until the Model 3 actually comes out (of course completely dependent on what what Tesla actually releases).

All depends on how quickly they ramp up production. I probably wouldn't wait a year for a Model 3 in any case; I'd just get something else. To me it's not worth giving up the use of that $1000 for 2+ years.

Once I lease my Bolt, Tesla will have to wait three years to have another chance at my money.

To me, the key is once the Model 3 comes out...

As an EV supporter, I hope that Tesla can meet their projected timelines, but as a savvy buyer, I can't bank on them doing that since their past vehicle track record shows they are always behind. If the Chevy Bolt EV comes out before the Model 3 is available, I'll go with the Bolt.

If the Model 3 is ready, or Tesla says it will be ready within months of the Bolt EV, then I'd have to wait to compare them.

mitchev said:
To me, the key is once the Model 3 comes out...

As an EV supporter, I hope that Tesla can meet their projected timelines, but as a savvy buyer, I can't bank on them doing that since their past vehicle track record shows they are always behind. If the Chevy Bolt EV comes out before the Model 3 is available, I'll go with the Bolt.

If the Model 3 is ready, or Tesla says it will be ready within months of the Bolt EV, then I'd have to wait to compare them.
GM is tooling the plant in Orion for the Bolt, has 100+ pre-production units on the road testing and doing PR dog & ponies.
Tesla will release some drawings and limited details of the Model 3 in a month and a half.

I don't think Tesla has even finished designing the Model 3 yet. Delivering within a few months of the Bolt is sooner than their best case scenario (they hope to start production "sometime in 2017")

michael said:
Once I lease my Bolt, Tesla will have to wait three years to have another chance at my money.
Sounds about right... 2 years before Tesla ships the Model 3, then another year to get rid of the order backlog :D

Back