Chevy Bolt vs Tesla Model S60 (new pricing)

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Just curious if any people here are finding the new, lower pricing for the Model S compelling. I was planning on leasing a Bolt in Feb 2017 once the lease on my 2013 Leaf ends. But now I'm wondering...

Slightly perhaps, but isn't it still $65,000 or something?

That's twice as much as the Bolt will be... I think the S60 will appeal to a fairly small demographic. I don't know that anyone is interested in the Bolt EV purely because it's such a compelling and beautiful sports car vehicle (like the Model S) :) All of the interest is because of the low price and relatively long range.

There will be a group (which you may be in) that can't afford the $80,000 Model S but need/want a long range EV, so have been looking down market at the Chevrolet Bolt. Now with the $65,000 Model S60, the Tesla could very well be in your price range.

For the rest of us, ok - for me at least, until there is a sub-$40K Tesla, I'll be all over the Bolt

Even with the lower price Tesla Model S is way over priced. I don't think I could consider it over Chevy Bolt.

I've been following Tesla for several years now, initially I was very interested, but at this time I would notr get a Tesla. Irrespective of how much those cars cost, reliability has been abysmal. A quick stroll at tesla forums will be evident. Service centers are swamped, and with Model 3 coming, it's only gonna get worse. The ONLY thing I like about Tesla is the supercharger network, BUT I would so rarely need it that it's not very useful to me. Driving long range with wife and kids, I'd feel MUCH more at ease driving our MDX. My commute roundtrip is 70 miles, easily done with my Spark EV. The Bolt at 200+ miles is way more than we need. I had a Volt, and along with my current Spark EV, reliability has been excellent. I've not seen the Bolt in person, but from the photos, I think it looks very nice.

Overpriced eh? Obviously never driven one!

Our Tesla S85 was made in early 2013, one of the first few thousand made, and yet, it's been an amazing car, fast, reliable, safe, everything we could have asked and more. To own one is to love it.

Highly recommend a test drive of the new 60 and then report back here how overpriced it is, I'll wait.
You will find it is smooth, quiet, luxurious inside, roomy, massive storage, safe and has top of the line safety technology.
Plus, for a few grand more than the base price, you can have it with auto-pilot.
Free fuel for the life of the car, 8 year unlimited distance warranty on battery and drive train, what's not to love?

No car at $60K competes with everything a Tesla provides.

SmartElectric said:

Our Tesla S85 was made in early 2013, one of the first few thousand made, and yet, it's been an amazing car, fast, reliable, safe, everything we could have asked and more. To own one is to love it.

Highly recommend a test drive of the new 60 and then report back here how overpriced it is, I'll wait.
You will find it is smooth, quiet, luxurious inside, roomy, massive storage, safe and has top of the line safety technology.
Plus, for a few grand more than the base price, you can have it with auto-pilot.
Free fuel for the life of the car, 8 year unlimited distance warranty on battery and drive train, what's not to love?

Yeah, but everyone can't afford a $60k car! Ask them and they'll explain how over priced it is!

SmartElectric said:

Driven several Teslas. Nice cars. Overpriced? - matter of opinion.

More relevant is the price. If I was in the market for a large, powerful luxury sedan. The Model S would get the nod over the competition. I'm not.

A stripped S60 at $66K is way out of range for most car buyers, and others that can afford it choose not to spend that kind of money on any car. I'm in the latter group.

It's not free fuel for the life of the car - "Free long distance travel using Tesla's Supercharger network". Tesla owners are expected to charge at home (like the rest of us) and use the free Supercharging only for long trips. Owners have gotten scolded by Tesla for abusing Superchargers near their homes/work. Still a great deal, but far from "free fuel for life".

Given recent events, we may see auto-pilot crippled or disabled completely,

Rivu said:
everyone can't afford a $60k car! Ask them and they'll explain how over priced it is!

Not being able to afford one does not make it overpriced.
Overpriced means that the product is not worth the price offered.
Given that Tesla is production constrained, buyers do not feel the car is overpriced.

That's my point.
I get that it is an expensive car, but that does not make it overpriced.
You get what you pay for, and we are truly satisfied with the price we paid for our Tesla.

DucRider said:
A stripped S60 at $66K is way out of range for most car buyers

LOL! "Stripped"?!

The 2015 Tesla S60 is a 300+ HP car with 220 miles of all electric range, silent drive train, ultra low noise cabin, highest safety rating, 17" touch screen, LTE with internet browser connectivity free/included, battery and drive train warranty for 8 years unlimited miles, largest storage capacity in it's class, free long distance supercharging, LED headlights, retractable door handles, free slacker internet audio, etc.

That's a lot of content for $60K. Saving $10K over 8 years of driving compared to equivalently size/performance sedan puts this in the same running cost range as mid level premium cars from Germany.

I don't think Tesla has ever made a "stripped" car in the same way that word is applied to say, Chevy. ;)

That said, they also haven't made any cars that cost less than $60k, so we'll see late next year how it works out!

ssspinball said:
I don't think Tesla has ever made a "stripped" car in the same way that word is applied to say, Chevy. ;)

That said, they also haven't made any cars that cost less than $60k, so we'll see late next year how it works out!

Yeah, I'm curious to see what the base Model III will offer, compared to the base Bolt. I'm guessing the Bolt will actually have more features at $37,500 than the Model III will at $35,000. When comparably equipped, the Model III will likely cost more. Of course "comparably equipped", the Tesla will still have ~100 HP more than the Chevy, in a much sportier package, with RWD to boot (for those of us who would prefer RWD to FWD, that's a big plus).

ssspinball said:

It amuses me to see so many people who seem to think they're going to get a $60,000+ car for $30,000. It'll be very interesting to see exactly what the Model 3 turns out to be and how people react to it.

Don't forget that the price of the Bolt may drop by the time the Model 3 is produced in volume. But even then the name badge on the Tesla will garner a premium over Chevy for perceived value in most consumers view. The majority of people offered a similar $35K car from both companies would opt for the Tesla and not look real hard at features and issues such as reliability.

This post was initially about the S60, and it's pretty well sorted for reliability at this point (unlike the X), but it's still 2x the price of the Bolt (after tax credit) and a completely different style and size car.

The only real reason to compare the two is because it is all Tesla will have available when the Bolt comes to market. That will be the entry level of the 200+ mile EV market (unless Nissan releases the LEAF 2.0 with it's 60 kWh pack and 150 kW CHAdeMO ahead of schedule). $30K is a lot more entry level than $58,500. A fully loaded Bolt will likely top out at $42K (before incentives). A fully optioned S60 is $98K.

The price for the Chevy Bolt versus the Tesla S 60 is significant enough in itself but the fact that the Chevy Bolt will have a 320 km range when fully charged makes it an affordable choice

We couldn't wait for either the Tesla 3 or the Bolt (or any other long range EV). Purchased a CPO (used) Tesla S85 last year and put 20000 km on it since then.

CPO Tesla S 60's go for ~ $45K US with full 4 year warranty and 6 years remaining on drive train and battery. Not bad...

SmartElectric said:
We couldn't wait for either the Tesla 3 or the Bolt (or any other long range EV). Purchased a CPO (used) Tesla S85 last year and put 20000 km on it since then.

CPO Tesla S 60's go for ~ $45K US with full 4 year warranty and 6 years remaining on drive train and battery. Not bad...

Sounds like a good deal. But I hope you aren't implying that we should be comparing a CPO vehicle with a brand-new vehicle. The former will always be relatively cheaper.

Elon Musk stated that the expected average selling price of the Model III is about $42k. By the time it is available (still ~15 months out), I wonder if a CPO Model S might be cheaper than that. Probably. Still too rich for my blood.

And speaking of used, I wonder, will the Bolt hold its value as well as a Tesla does? Probably not. Although a used Bolt will require much less maintenance than a used ICEV.

Completely understand that $45K is a LOT for a used car. Then again, our CPO felt like getting a new car to us, and it has been great. I do think the Model 3 will lower the used prices for Model S's, but it will largely depend on supply/demand. Some people like a big car, and that is the demand side. As for supply, Tesla looks to be selling 100K S+X per year even when the Model 3 is in full production, so Tesla firmly believes there is a buyer for a more premium car than the 3, and I think that's true. I have wondered what our car will be worth when the 3 arrives in volume tho, but I don't know if we would ever sell it, it's just perfect for the amount of luggage we pack into it for our weekend road trips...

Back