Negative press all over the place

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evdriver

It's funny that you don't have to look very hard to find someone slamming the Volt or Chevy's upcoming Bolt EV.

This is an article talking about the plummeting resale value of the Chevy Volt.

Taxpayers have paid billions of dollars to promote electric cars which have done nothing to benefit those who are footing the bill. Affluent buyers of cars like Tesla get tax credits of $7,500 each, but there is no evidence that electric cars are helping the environment. Despite the lack of benefits of electric cars, the media continues to hype the sector with GM now promising a Tesla-killing Chevy Bolt.

I expect that the Bolt will be as unimpressive as the Volt.

Well good for you - if you don't like electric vehicles, that's fine but how is the media 'hyping' the Chevy Bolt? I haven't seen much on mainstream media about it, so unless you're reading EV specific media (which would be completely stupid since you don't like EVs), then where are you seeing all this hype?

If you think the Volt has no resale value, try a BEV! With the exception of Tesla Model S 65 or 85's, the BEV resale value will probably plummet when the second generation of longer range BEV's come out. The Bolt enters the market with stated longer range capabilities, as well as Leaf 2.

In the meantime, I'll putter along in my 2013 Leaf.

Since I've never seen or done a complete analysis of relative impacts to the environment for creating, producing, equipping, maintaining, and disposing of a ICE versus a BEV, the quoted person can state whatever they want.

Woosie said:
Since I've never seen or done a complete analysis of relative impacts to the environment for creating, producing, equipping, maintaining, and disposing of a ICE versus a BEV, the quoted person can state whatever they want.

There are lots of those comparisons, but they seem to be quite open to personal opinion as certain details and prices and emissions are simply guestimates most of the time.

Woosie said:
I've never seen or done a complete analysis of relative impacts to the environment for creating, producing, equipping, maintaining, and disposing of a ICE versus a BEV

https://www.daimler.com/Projects/c2c/channel/documents/2243139_Environmental_brochure_smart_fortwo_electric_drive.pdf

Page 22,23 of the Smart ED environmental brochure has facts, charts and this quote.

when driven over 120,000 km,
the greenhouse gas potential based on the European electricity mix
amounts to 10.4 t of CO2 equivalent. By contrast, the gasoline-driven
smart produces 14.4 t of CO2 equivalent. When the overall usage stage
is taken into account, the smart fortwo electric drive is found to release
28 percent less greenhouse gas emissions than its gasoline-driven counterpart.
Viewed over the entire life cycle, the contribution to the greenhouse
effect made by the smart fortwo electric drive with renewably
generated electricity is almost 60 percent less than with comparable
gasoline-driven vehicles.

Back