BOLT SEAT ISSUE - DATA COLLECTION & REPORT HERE

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JupiterMoon

This is an area where people can simply check in and post their seat issue / non issue. Simple, fast, and something that can be tracked. If this problem is to be resolved, it needs to be documented properly and consistently.

Things to list:

1. Model
2. When bought
3. Last 5 of your VIN (if you want actual tracking done by GM)
4. A picture or two if you want/need to
5. Your size/height
6. Very brief summary of where you see the issue, a few details, etc
7. Verdict: Good/Bad? Etc

That's it.

Good idea!

You might want to set up a Google sheets spreadsheet if you want to collect data in a uniform way that will be amenable to some analysis.

tgreene said:
Good idea!

You might want to set up a Google sheets spreadsheet if you want to collect data in a uniform way that will be amenable to some analysis.

I will if people actually participate. I'll be glad to...take a month's worth of data or something and then post it up here.

1. LT w/Heated seats
2. 12/17/2017
3. 32007
4. Make the seat's back and bottom more soft and comfortable.
5. 6'2", 190lbs, 36" waist
6. Bottom seat edges are hard, seat sides also hard and dig into rib cage and kidneys, seat is also retaining heat.
7. BAD

PS: I have a CHEAP Jetta GL from 2003 and LOVE the seats in that car.

1. Premier.
2. January 2017.
5. 69" height, 30-31" waist, 39-40" chest, 38" hip.
6. No issue for me. However, I can see how wider people may find the hard parts of the side bolsters annoying, or the seat frame plastic that is exposed above the bolsters annoying.
7. Fine for me, but I can see how some may complain. I prefer sportier seats, but see that sportier seats require making assumptions about driver size and that they are likely to be uncomfortable for drivers larger than the assumed size.

As the "mystery" of the seats deepens, I was lucky enough that my dealer had two side by side I could sit in.

Both had heated seats.
One had the cloth.
One had the leather.

BIG difference. So big I photographed it for you all.

The cloth were MUCH firmer and had MUCH more padding. The thicker padding kept my butt and thighs off the plastic sides.

The leather was softer and thinner and compressed much more- kind of like letting the air out of an air mattress when I sat in them. Eventually, my thighs would hit the plastic sides.

I am 5-9 and 210 pounds, 36" waist.
I thought the difference was dramatic.

IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG

1. Premier
2. 01/30/2017
3. 36636
4. No pics
5. 5'8" 165lbs. L4-L5 & L5-S1 herniated discs
6. Very firm. Inadequate lumbar support.
7. BAD

The 2008 MiniE and 2014 Tesla Model S (Version 1 Leather seats) both had similar issues. Very firm and uncomfortable. In the Bolt without an air pillow for support I am in terrible pain requiring naproxen (Aleve) on a regular basis. Ironically, the 2011 Nissan Leaf and 2016 Kia Soul EV+ have the most comfortable seats for me.

For those interested, this is the pillow I use and swear by for my herniated discs on poor seats like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Medic-Air-Back-Cushion-Blue-Corflex/dp/B012YI40HO/

This reminds me of some of the Nissan Leaf issues (like the battery capacity loss) in the fact that there are many different experiences to report.

I've added a table to the Electric Vehicle Wiki in an attempt to track and organize the data.
http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Chevy_Bolt_seat_and_seat_frame_discomfort

Anyone can add their data, or reply here or send a PM and I'll attempt to keep it updated!
Mike

flamaest said:
1. LT w/Heated seats
2. 12/17/2017
3. 32007
6. Bottom seat edges are hard, seat sides also hard and dig into rib cage and kidneys, seat is also retaining heat.
7. BAD

Can you confirm your delivery date?

admin said:
flamaest said:
1. LT w/Heated seats
2. 12/17/2017
3. 32007
7. BAD

Can you confirm your delivery date?

Sorry, 12/17/2016

1) Premier, dark leather, heated
2) Jan 31, 2017
3) ??? not near car
4) pass
5)
me: 6'4" 180lbs 33" waist
her: 5'1" 110lbs ??
6) We notice the narrowness but so far not a problem, feels snug not uncomfortable
(We also often use an extra cushion sometimes (in all cars) as our rears get sore on long trips. We haven't needed this yet on the Bolt but if we did it would eliminate any issue.)
7) Fine: but can imagine it might be an issue for people with bigger bottoms

1. Model -Premier, all options (leather/heated seats)
2. Purchased - 1/17/17
3. Last 5 of your VIN - 28566
4. A picture or two if you want/need to - See below
5. Your size/height - XXL, 6'1"
6. Very brief summary of where you see the issue, a few details, etc - The hard plastic seat frame is too narrow and protrudes above the seat cushion
7. Verdict: Good/Bad? Etc - Bad for anyone who's backside is wider than 15." Probably OK for smaller folks. This is easy to fix with a slight redesign, there is plenty of room for a wider seat, or the hard plastic structure could be changed so-as not to dig into the driver's hips.
8. I am trying a high quality orthopedic wedge cushion to see if it resolves the problem for me in the short term. GM still needs to fix this.
BoltSeat.jpg

1. LT
2. 1/27/17
3. 36652
4. N/A
5. 5'7", 150 lb, 30 inch waist
6. Zero issues
7. LT (cloth) seats are supportive and comfortable

Great idea BTW OP. Thanks for doing this.

1) Premier - Leather heated seats
2) Leased 1/9/17
3) 34127
4) -N/A-
5) 175lb , 5'11"
6) I can feel the plastic but it is not painful. Not ultra comfortable either. Have done several hour or more drives and it doesn't bother me that badly. My wife has to swing her feet out of the car to not get "hung-up" on the plastic, but otherwise ok for her also.
7) Ok for me and my wife - but I am not thrilled about the seats. Scale of 1-10 would be about a 6. GM should fix them preferably this model year.

All data in thread so far has been added to wiki:
http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Chevy_Bolt_seat_and_seat_frame_discomfort#Seat_Discomfort_Tracking

1. LT with heated seats
2. Jan-09-2017
3. 31977
4. N/A. I can get them if needed
5. 6 foot 1 - 195 Lbs
- The two (2) initial test drives were fine. However, as soon as I took the car on a longer ride (30+ min) I immediately started to feel pain on my left thigh/butt cheek area.
- I tried several foam/pillows from Amazon but nothing really seemed to help
- I agree with most here that the leather seats option is much better
- IMO the width biggest problem with the seats. They were made way too narrow so your body gets boxed in. Consequently, some people complain about them while others are ok. For instance, my dad is a 250 Lbs guy but he has a big belly and shoulders while his butt and legs are pretty skinny. So he can sit fine and very comfortably in the car. I am not sure why GM did that since there seems to be plenty of space between the seats and the door to add another 2-3 inches of seat
7. Bad...very bad

1. LT w/heated cloth seats
2. Leased 2/4/17
3. 34***
4. No pics
5. 5'8" & 160#
6. No issues
7. Acceptable -- not great or awful IMO.

Note: Just took my 1st "long" drive (118 miles RT) in the Bolt on 2/11/17. Seat is very firm and not very compliant. No discomfort or "hot" spots felt and didn't squirm feel the need to readjust position during the drive. However, driver's seat is definitely not as comfortable as in other vehicles that I own. Still ok but could be better.

new premier owner and I am 5 ft 9 and 180 lbs. I find the seats fine and my first trip was 122 miles one way none stop. all good

Back