DoninLAlaland

Re: BOLT SEAT ISSUE - DATA COLLECTION & REPORT HERE

Mon May 08, 2017 11:52 pm

Hi. Unfortunately, my experience so far with Chevy taking responsibility for the seat is similar to KarenK. Here's a summary of where we are:

1. My dealer put me in touch with Chevy
2. Chevy then set up an appointment with the dealer to check the seats.
3. The serviceman at the dealership told me, his manager, and Chevy that my seats are the same as all the other Bolts on the lot.
4. I called Chevy back to tell them and to escalate the issue. I've asked for a cancellation of the lease because of a design defect.
5. Chevy then escalated it to one of the people handling the California market, named Jeremy.
6. Jeremy called the dealer to find out any additional information.
7. Spoke with Jeremy today who told me that because there is nothing wrong with the seat as per my dealer and Chevy has not issued a recall, there is nothing he can do. I asked to speak to his boss.
8. I called my dealer and told them what Jeremy told me.
9.My left hip and leg is feeling MUCH better now after not driving the Bolt for more than a week. The dealer put me in a Chevy Malibu. It's interesting how that seat is fine, but the Bolt's is not.

Still waiting to hear from Jeremy's boss. It sounds like Chevy/GM is throwing this back on the dealer.
Needless to say, I am very, very disappointed in Chevy's/GM's response.

scbolt

Mon May 29, 2017 5:08 pm

Purchased my Bolt EV earlier this month. Very happy with almost everything about the car ... except the front seats. Like most people reported, they are EXTREMELY uncomfortable. The padding is very thin, the seat is too narrow and the hard plastic edge keeps bruising my left thing when driving, and especially when getting in and out of the car.

I have reported this issue to my dealership as well as to GM and they are completely ignoring this issue and not willing to do ANYTHING :(

Here are the details requested here:

1. Model: Bolt EV Premier
2. When bought: May 2017
3. Last 5 of your VIN (if you want actual tracking done by GM): 60049
4. A picture or two if you want/need to: pictures won't help, since the issue is not visible ... you only feel it when you sit on it
5. Your size/height: 5'10" / 200 lbs
6. Very brief summary of where you see the issue, a few details, etc: see above. Main issue is that the left edge of the hard plastic keeps cutting into my left thigh and hurts bad when driving, and especially when getting in or out of the car
7. Verdict: Good/Bad? Etc: Horrible, Pathetic, EXTREMELY bad :(

DoninLAlaland

Mon May 29, 2017 8:32 pm

scbolt wrote:Purchased my Bolt EV earlier this month. Very happy with almost everything about the car ... except the front seats. Like most people reported, they are EXTREMELY uncomfortable. The padding is very thin, the seat is too narrow and the hard plastic edge keeps bruising my left thing when driving, and especially when getting in and out of the car.

I have reported this issue to my dealership as well as to GM and they are completely ignoring this issue and not willing to do ANYTHING :(

Hi, SCbolt. Where are you located? I found a dealer who was willing to swap my seat. He had me sit in 6 different bolts with the cloth seats. I chose the one most comfortable to me and he replaced the original seat. I no longer have any pain in my left leg or thigh and was waiting a week to post on here to make sure I had no back pain.

scbolt

Tue May 30, 2017 12:56 am

DoninLAlaland wrote:
scbolt wrote:Purchased my Bolt EV earlier this month. Very happy with almost everything about the car ... except the front seats. Like most people reported, they are EXTREMELY uncomfortable. The padding is very thin, the seat is too narrow and the hard plastic edge keeps bruising my left thing when driving, and especially when getting in and out of the car.

Hi, SCbolt. Where are you located? I found a dealer who was willing to swap my seat. He had me sit in 6 different bolts with the cloth seats. I chose the one most comfortable to me and he replaced the original seat. I no longer have any pain in my left leg or thigh and was waiting a week to post on here to make sure I had no back pain.

hi Don - VERY glad to hear that your dealership finally took care of you! It definitely seems that different dealerships are providing different levels of support ... some providing no support, unfortunately!

I am located in Colorado, and still going back and forth between my dealership and Chevy customer care ... so far each one is saying it is not their problem and the other side should take care of me.

I had seen another post here where someone had mentioned that GM is aware of the problem and promised to address it. From what I have seen so far, I definitely do NOT see any signs of that, unfortunately :(

DoninLAlaland

Tue May 30, 2017 2:07 am

Thanks for your quick reply , SCbolt. Not sure whether you tried taking your car to a different Chevy dealer. Perhaps that dealer will have a different opinion and be willing to swap your seat. My dealer in Glendale from whom I leased the car would do absolutely nothing. I took it to a dealer in Valencia on the recommendation of a friend. The dealer in Valencia was willing to swap the seat out. It was totally worth the 35 minute drive each way and taking a vacation day at work.

FYI - I got the same thing you are getting: GM pointing to the dealer to do something ("it's a customer service issue") and the dealer pointing to GM to do something.

Interestingly, what GM and the dealer seem to forget is how the charging stations are like the office water cooler -- everyone asks about each others cars while waiting to charge. When coming back from Valencia, I stopped at a fast charging station. 3 different EV drivers asked me what I thought of the Bolt. I told them how horrible GM and the dealer in Glendale were and if they are still interested in the car, try each and every seat and buy or lease the one that has the most comfortable seat. So, word of mouth is MUCH louder with EVs than regular cars.

rybolt

Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:29 pm

1. Model: Premier
2. When bought: 1/22/17
3. VIN: 36968
4. Picture: Same as others have been posting
5. Size/height: 185 pounds / 5'11"
6. Summary: Severe pinching at sides of seat cushion (causing pain, mostly to my left leg); moderate pinching at sides of seat back.
7. Verdict: Awful. One of the first things I caution prospective buyers to beware of. I *love* my Bolt, but this sucks.
Last edited by rybolt on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Engineer731

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:32 pm

1. Bolt EV LT
2. June 22, 2017
3. 49786
4. Sorry - No pics yet.
5. 6'-2" 260 Lb
6. I think the plastic sides are too high and the seat is too thin
7. Verdict: Definitely uncomfortable, but not a deal breaker.

I have mine on a lease. I have driven a Prius for the past four years and always found the driver's seat comfortable. Not so in the Bolt. One of the negatives when test driving, but enough to break the deal. I really believe that the seat frame needs to be re-engineered. And, that is surprising because everything else in and on the vehicle seems to have been very well thought out. I am a retired mechanical engineer and I promise you that if I had been in charge of the the design team - this problem would have been stopped long before production started.

ScooterCT

Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:02 am

Over on the other Chevy Bolt forum site, there is a guy putting Jetta seats into his Bolt. It made me wonder - has anyone unhappy with the seats given a thought to checking the Sonic seats to see if they fit? I imagine you can get a Sonic seat cheap at a salvage shop. I bet they'd even let you check the fit free.

dimon

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:28 pm

1. Bolt LT
2. July, 2017
3. 64366
4. A picture or two if you want/need to
5. 5'8" 160 lb.
6. This is the first time ever the car seat started hurting my back within minutes of driving. First, I've noticed how left side of the seat is pushing into my left thigh and causing noticeable discomfort. I've got back pain after about 20 minutes of driving this thing. I've tried to adjust the seat and could not find any comfortable position to sit in it. Getting out of the car is always painful, as the hard plastic side pushes into your left leg.
7. Verdict: I've never though that a seat in a car could be that horribly designed. I hope we can get a recall going to fix this.

k0an

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:25 pm

I've started a Change.org petition so we can all consolidate our feedback into one place to maximize our visibility. Please sign and spread the word!
http://chn.ge/2xwEBVx

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”