iletric

Re: BOLT SEAT ISSUE - DATA COLLECTION & REPORT HERE

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:44 pm

k0an wrote:I've started a Change.org petition...http://chn.ge/2xwEBVx

Thanks! Signed up and posted on Twitter.

k0an

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:31 am

iletric wrote:Thanks! Signed up and posted on Twitter.

Thank you!

jbasto

Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:20 am

I have owned my Bolt for about three months now. The seat discomfort is unbearable at this point. I took my Bolt to the dealer and contacted CAC but no fix was offered. If I would have known that the seat discomfort was going to be this bad, I definitely would not have purchased this car. I cannot wait for GM to come up with a solution since I have a two-hour daily commute. I am going to have to fix the seat myself or get rid of the car. I have constant pain and numbness in my right leg and can never find a comfortable position. GM has made an amazing EV with the Bolt. They put so much research and development into this vehicle. It really is an amazing car with great technology and range. However, they forgot that a person is going to have to sit and drive comfortably in the car for maybe an extended period of time. I feel they should come up with a DTB (dealer technical bulletin) to address this issue or it may kill the Bolt. I could not in good conscience recommend someone buy this car unless they are certain they are comfortable in the seat.

SeanNelson

Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:28 pm

jbasto wrote:I am going to have to fix the seat myself or get rid of the car. I have constant pain and numbness in my right leg and can never find a comfortable position.

If it's that bad for you then I can't believe you haven't done something, a seat cushion at least, to try to alleviate the problem.

Some people are adding foam underneath the seat cover as shown in this video - the technique seems to work well for many of the people who have tried it and it's easily reversible if you're worried about warranty claims.

ProfessorBolta

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:42 pm

1. Premier fully loaded
2. 10/2017
3 Dunno off hand
4. Just a Bolt
5. 6'3 ectomorph
6. All my family is tall and thin and we have no issue with it
7. Verdict: We love the seats, very comfortable, actually probably the most comfortable of any we've had

clunkclunk

Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:28 pm

1. 2017 Bolt EV LT
2. Late June 2017
3. 27948
4. n/a
5. 5'10", 170lb male.
6. For the seat portion, the narrowness combined with the height of the side bolsters means that my right leg gets a little numb if I don't reposition it every 10-15 minutes. The rear area where my tailbone and back of my butt puts the most pressure on the seat just isn't that comfortable - the squish is less than 1/2" deep. For the back portion, there's clearly a hard bit of plastic inside the seat approximately 16" up from the bottom, and my spine hits that. Additionally the side bolsters have 1/4" of padding at best, with hard plastic underneath. Not terrible for a 30 minute drive, but after 2 hours, it's uncomfortable and aching.

I compared the seats of my similarly sized GM hatchback, a Pontiac Vibe, and the seats on that are far superior. Much more squish in the padding - almost 1" deep padding in most areas. The side bolsters are firm but with plenty of padding depth to avoid any hard plastic. And this is all on a 10 year old car (a 15 year old design), with 150K+ miles of wear and the seats are better than the Bolt's.

In full disclosure, my 5'8" 125lb wife has no complaints about the seat, but she hasn't driven the Bolt over an hour at one time yet.

7. Verdict: I'm pretty amazed at how bad these seats are in multiple places, especially when compared to other 'cheap' GM vehicles, of years past.

Usain

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:41 am

JupiterMoon wrote:This is an area where people can simply check in and post their seat issue / non issue. Simple, fast, and something that can be tracked. If this problem is to be resolved, it needs to be documented properly and consistently.

Things to list:

1. Model
2. When bought
3. Last 5 of your VIN (if you want actual tracking done by GM)
4. A picture or two if you want/need to
5. Your size/height
6. Very brief summary of where you see the issue, a few details, etc
7. Verdict: Good/Bad? Etc

That's it.

1. Bolt Premiere
2. Purchased 9/30/2017
3. vin 79378
5. I'm 5' 8", 150 lbs

6. I don't have any problem with the seats and I've taken the car on a road trip with more than 10 hours of driving in two days. The seat comfort could be improved. My old 2000 Volvo had seats that were so comfy you could almost fall asleep. But I haven't noticed the major problems others have talked about.

7. OK

sgt1372

Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:52 pm

Don't recall reading about this particular seat complaint yet. So, here goes.

Leased my Bolt LT w/cloth seats in Feb 2017. Drive it only about 10-15 miles a day, 5 days/wk. Usually 2-3 stops per trip.

I have no complaints about comfort but I just noticed that the fabric on the left edge of the driver's seat near the seam is starting to fray.

Nothing serious yet, just a few loose threads, but it's only been 8 months of limited use and is a cause for concern.

If I owned the car, I'd probably buy seat covers but, since I lease it, I'm just going to let it go and hope that a hole doesn't develop b4 I turn it in.

Just for comparison, my 15 yr old MR2 has cloth seats and, despite some obvious surface wear along the outer edge of the driver's seat, the seat fabric still has not frayed or developed a hole in it.

On the other hand, I had a 2007 FJ Cruiser w/cloth seats that was 10 yrs old when I traded it in on the Bolt. The driver's seat was frayed and had developed a hole along the left edge of the seat back.

My impression is that the fabric used on the Bolt seat is less durable than that used on the MR2 and FJ seats.

Just something to keep an eye on if you also have cloth seats in your Bolt.
My vehicles:

2017 Chevy Bolt
2012 Mercedes ML350 4Matic
2008 BMW 335i
2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder
2002 Ford F250 7.3L 4x4 Longbed Turbodiesel

SeanNelson

Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:44 am

sgt1372 wrote:I have no complaints about comfort but I just noticed that the fabric on the left edge of the driver's seat near the seam is starting to fray.

So by "fabric" I take it that you have an LT with the cloth seats?

sgt1372

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:54 pm

SeanNelson wrote:
sgt1372 wrote:I have no complaints about comfort but I just noticed that the fabric on the left edge of the driver's seat near the seam is starting to fray.

So by "fabric" I take it that you have an LT with the cloth seats?

That's what I said in the second line of my post above before I used the word "fabric." I also used the word "cloth" repeatedly in my post, including the last line.

LOL! :roll:
My vehicles:

2017 Chevy Bolt
2012 Mercedes ML350 4Matic
2008 BMW 335i
2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder
2002 Ford F250 7.3L 4x4 Longbed Turbodiesel

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”