Automated Car Wash Mode

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drdiesel1

A specific procedure must be followed for taking the BEV through an automated car wash. To prevent the car from shifting into park, the following steps should be taken.

1. Start the vehicle or switch the vehicle into service mode.

2. Open the driver's side door while applying the brake.

3. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.

4. If the transmission indicator does not display neutral, start the process over from step one.

Caution:
This procedure allows the driver to exit the vehicle when the transmission is in neutral. However this condition will only last until the driver’s door is opened. When the driver’s door is opened with the transmission in neutral, the parking brake will engage and the transmission will immediately shift to park.

Good to know - is that from the Blot owners manual, or do you know someone on the inside :)

Has anyone tried these steps?

I am always concerned about any instructions which include a caveat step (#4) to 'start-over' if it does not work. hmmmm...

Automated car washes make me cringe. My Bolt, as all my previous cars, will never see an automated car wash during my ownership.

If you value your paint, you will know why...

drdiesel1 said:
A specific procedure must be followed for taking the BEV through an automated car wash. To prevent the car from shifting into park, the following steps should be taken.

1. Start the vehicle or switch the vehicle into service mode.

2. Open the driver's side door while applying the brake.

3. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.

4. If the transmission indicator does not display neutral, start the process over from step one.

Caution:
This procedure allows the driver to exit the vehicle when the transmission is in neutral. However this condition will only last until the driver’s door is opened. When the driver’s door is opened with the transmission in neutral, the parking brake will engage and the transmission will immediately shift to park.
Apparently the dealer I bought my boot from had a GM tech guy train them and they said those car washes are not good for the car. It was a mistake and they are making an addendum to the manual. Look for it to come out this year.

What a complicated procedure, :? I think I'd pass.

Are properly maintained car washes really bad for cars? I remember when I was driving Alfa-Romeos my mechanic would astonish his Ferrari clientele who would say "My car's never been through an automatic car wash!". He had a book that showed the factory at Modena (or was it Maranello) and the last station the cars went through? An automatic car wash. ;)

I have to admit that's a complicated sounding process, especially if you have an attendant trying to do that. I think I will stick to ride-through washes.

I've consistently used "soft cloth" type auto car washes for years and not had any issues with paint damage. My 13 year-old Escape Hybrid still has good gloss...

" Touchless" car washes use laser-aimed sprays and don't pull the car through a track system. I haven't used one of the latter in 10+ years.

For those that may come across this years later like I did, just took my 2020 Bolt to a drive thru car wash without issue. Only thing different from any previous cars, I had to put the car in park and then neutral. Official directions are in the owner's manual. It's easier to lookup the pdf so that you can just ctrl-f search for car wash mode. Search feature in the myChevrolet app didn't find it. Pg 191-192 in the 2020 manual. Posted here because it was the first Google search result. Hope this helps.

That seems like a strange car wash. I'm pretty old and I've never been to one that you don't just sit in the car and wait the 3-4 minutes until it's done pulling you through. Although often I go to a local hand-washed place that dusts and does the mats, now that even a basic gas station wash is $8 minimum and does a bad job getting the rear hatch area. Must be a hatchback thing.

Back