stop bashing the "Bolt"

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portable

You guys have to stop bashing the bolt. This is the finest car I've ever had. My last 2 cars were Lexus SUV's and my wife went through a 3 year lease with a Ford focus Electric. That was a joke ! But i think i know what I'm talking about. As far as the seat, Im a big guy, 6' ft tall 290lbs 44" waist. They could have left the seat out and i would have used a folding chair, i wouldn't care. This car is amazing. Its not a 100K tesla but i think it drives as good as one. I couldn't wait to get an electric car that went over 200 miles and ill tell you this car was worth the wait. I live in illinois (chicago area) and its was tough getting mine. bought it in callifornia and had it shipped. I bought it site unseen. but it meets and exceeds all of my expectations.
Everything that broke on my last 2 cars, this car "doesn't have". I know I'm preaching to the choir, and no matter what i write someone will come back with all there petty little problems that Mary Barra should change. Its probably because I'm a "Heavy Equipment Operator" and I've sat in every kind of seat for 8-10 hrs a day for the last 27 years. I've sat on an orange crate all day to do my job. But when I'm done and i can get into my brand new Bolt, I just smile at all the "Tesla" cars that get up along side of me , roll down there window and ask "How do you like it".

Mary Barra, Chevy "ROCKS", Just keep making em till everybody has a smile on their face ;) :)

Is this not the dictionary definition of a fanboy? No car is perfect and I haven't noticed "bashing" here. The seats didn't work for me or Mrs Emv and I commented about that. That's not bashing! If the Bolt fits you, wonderful! I'd been waiting for the Bolt with baited breath and was seriously disappointed that it didn't work out. I just sent the check in to US Bank to buy my leased Spark EV instead of buying the Bolt. If they change the seats next year I'll probably be back for an '18 - but I'm sure it won't be (and I won't expect it to be) perfect.

emv said:
Is this not the dictionary definition of a fanboy? No car is perfect and I haven't noticed "bashing" here. The seats didn't work for me or Mrs Emv and I commented about that. That's not bashing! If the Bolt fits you, wonderful! I'd been waiting for the Bolt with baited breath and was seriously disappointed that it didn't work out. I just sent the check in to US Bank to buy my leased Spark EV instead of buying the Bolt. If they change the seats next year I'll probably be back for an '18 - but I'm sure it won't be (and I won't expect it to be) perfect.

You know that the dictionary definition of fanboy is someone who is obsessive about something. I hope you also know, it's pretty much an insult. I don't know about the bashing part, but I have seen some of the same complaints registered by the same people in multiple threads. To some it seems as if they are saying the car is defective somehow because it failed to meet their heart's desire in every respect.

portable said:
You guys have to stop bashing the bolt.

No bashing intended. The seats are badly designed in the Bolt and if no one says anything, they will not be corrected.

The seats are worse than a Corolla, Focus, or Sentra; or just "name your favorite" bottom-line economy car and the seats are probably more comfortable in that than in the Bolt.

Although joining almost a year ago, fanboy "portable" has very few posts (10 as of right now). Typical behavior is to pop up, post something akin to a BJ about the Bolt, then go silent for months. You can just add 'portable' to your ignore list.

portable said:
You guys have to stop bashing the bolt. This is the finest car I've ever had. My last 2 cars were Lexus SUV's and my wife went through a 3 year lease with a Ford focus Electric. That was a joke ! But i think i know what I'm talking about. As far as the seat, Im a big guy, 6' ft tall 290lbs 44" waist. They could have left the seat out and i would have used a folding chair, i wouldn't care. This car is amazing. Its not a 100K tesla but i think it drives as good as one. I couldn't wait to get an electric car that went over 200 miles and ill tell you this car was worth the wait. I live in illinois (chicago area) and its was tough getting mine. bought it in callifornia and had it shipped. I bought it site unseen. but it meets and exceeds all of my expectations.
Everything that broke on my last 2 cars, this car "doesn't have". I know I'm preaching to the choir, and no matter what i write someone will come back with all there petty little problems that Mary Barra should change. Its probably because I'm a "Heavy Equipment Operator" and I've sat in every kind of seat for 8-10 hrs a day for the last 27 years. I've sat on an orange crate all day to do my job. But when I'm done and i can get into my brand new Bolt, I just smile at all the "Tesla" cars that get up along side of me , roll down there window and ask "How do you like it".

Mary Barra, Chevy "ROCKS", Just keep making em till everybody has a smile on their face ;) :)

Everyone has their opinion. Just because it doesn't jive with yours doesn't mean it's bashing. NOT being critical about what you buy, eat, vote for, etc. is what I consider the wrong thing to do.

I'm sure the Bolt is a nice car to own but for the price they are asking for currently, it's far too expensive for what it is.

Did not mean to use fanboy as an insult. There are areas where some might call me one.

I'll plead guilty to being a fanboy who turned into a negative fanboy. I was totally excited about the Bolt, up to and including sitting in it at the Hartford Auto Show. But I slowly soured as I learned about what I considered unacceptable faults. I could be turned into a fanboy again if they'd just tweak a few things. A tiny change to the seat bolsters. Soft plastic on the dash. An actual nav system (I'll happily pay).

I don't think being either a fanboy/fangirl or a hater is necessarily a bad thing. It's a free interchange of ideas and opinions that gets boisterous at times. Even when I dump on the Bolt for one imperfection or another, I'm always quick to thank early adopters for leading the way and pushing EVs forward.

I think part of the problem is that when expectations are high and are dashed, bitterness and complaint are easier than when expectations are high but met and the natural impulse is to just let it all ride quietly.

Lots of people think the seats are just fine, I among them. Everyone will sit in the vehicle and decide for themselves if they find the seats comfortable or not. I couldn't stand the seats in my wife's 2012 Prius - they were like a mattress gone all soft and saggy. I like a firm, tight seat which seems like exactly what the designers provided the Bolt.

What I find interesting is that there doesn't seem to be a genuinely discernible pattern to the folks who find the seats irredeemably uncomfortable, which makes me wonder if this is really a QC issues, e.g. That there isn't some stochastic variation in how the seats are made that renders some of them Ill supported. I read early reports of folks testing the car multiple times and finding the seats awful but I was never sure if it was the same unique car. Since these were early test drives I'm betting that they were done in the exact same VIN. Dunno.

Check out the urban slang meanings. Calling someone a fanboy means that person loves a thing way beyond reason to the point where they can see none of its flaws. It is a way of accusing them of a lack of critical faculties. Just not a good term to use in a friendly discussion, unless it's with someone who is close enough to know you are kidding.

ScooterCT said:
A tiny change to the seat bolsters. Soft plastic on the dash. An actual nav system (I'll happily pay).
You could very well see seat upgrade and dash improvements, but don't hold your breath on the Nav.
At the Portland Auto Show, response was 100% positive on the link to smartphone vs factory nav. And they were at least as passionate in favor as you are opposed (if not more so). Not saying your opinion is wrong, but 99% of potential buyers are strongly in the opposite camp. Granted, my sample size was probably between 50 and 100 people (didn't come up in every conversation), but didn't get even one negative response to using the phone. You'll likely see more and more vehicles delivered that way. You might be investing in a Garmin in the future.

FWIW: trying to use the nav in my Focus Electric or my wife's Rogue is almost impossible. Not nearly as fast or easy as just using my phone. I like having the map available while driving because of the bigger screen, but for routing or trying to find a particular place I always use my phone.

AbelGoddard said:
FWIW: trying to use the nav in my Focus Electric or my wife's Rogue is almost impossible. Not nearly as fast or easy as just using my phone. I like having the map available while driving because of the bigger screen, but for routing or trying to find a particular place I always use my phone.

Interesting. I find that the nav in my CMax Energi is much easier than using a phone. At least when I am driving alone. The voice recognition is intuitive and responsive. I can find a restaurant, charger, etc, without taking my eyes off the road. At least those that are known to the car, and there's the rub. It is updated, but it's not a live stream from the internet like a phone would be.

And if I have a passenger, it is much better (although slower) to use a smartphone.

GetOffYourGas said:
Interesting. I find that the nav in my CMax Energi is much easier than using a phone. At least when I am driving alone. The voice recognition is intuitive and responsive. I can find a restaurant, charger, etc, without taking my eyes off the road. At least those that are known to the car, and there's the rub. It is updated, but it's not a live stream from the internet like a phone would be.

Your Cmax may be the exception in a sea of useless factory NAV systems - like brutal one in my Mercedes.

It can't be much simpler than saying "ok Google, navigate to <insert name or address here>" and instantly get turn-by-turn directions. Over the years, I've imported a bunch of cars into Canada and always ordered them with NAV (because clients wanted them) but since then there has been a fundamental shift to people (even non-techie folks) using their phones for navigation. Apple Carplay and Android auto have essentially made factory NAV systems as popular as Blackberry Playbooks.

Back