Article - no navigation on Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikecolias

I'm a reporter at the Wall Street Journal in Detroit, looking to speak with any Bolt owner or prospective buyer about navigation. The Bolt doesn't come with embedded nav (though it's available thru Android/CarPlay, & turn-by-turn thru OnStar). Does not having factory-installed nav matter to you? Please email: [email protected]. Thanks

I responded to him with the following, which I think pretty well covers the pro point of view:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took delivery of a Bolt, and like the car a lot. As to no factory nav, that’s the way I’d prefer it, by a country mile:

- Map updates with AA or CP are instant and frequent - no waiting a year to see the new road on your maps.

- SW upgrades are frequent, transparent, and much appreciated.

- I can use the maps on my phone when I get out of the car.

- NO CHARGE for upgrades and maps. The car mfrs. treat map updates (free from Google or Apple Maps) as a profit center and charge up to hundreds of dollars for annual updates.

- Much of the factory nav SW (such as BMW) is bloody awful and the instructions are translated from metric, so you get things like “in 700 yards, bear left…”.

- Factory nav updates are a PIA to install, so most people never bother. I’d bet that 90% of factory nav systems are running on years-old maps and SW.

Once Garmin and others started delivering really good nav devices, the factory nav system was immediately at its end of life - the only remaining advantage of factory nav was screen size. Now that you can use the car display and don’t need a single-purpose gadget, there is no reason on earth to pay outlandish amounts of money for factory nav.

To net it out, every guy I’ve ever discussed it with in the last 15 years (quite a few bar conversations) hates factory navigation in cars, because it is obsolete in a couple of years and never as good as free alternatives.

EldRick said:
I responded to him with the following, which I think pretty well covers the pro point of view:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took delivery of a Bolt, and like the car a lot. As to no factory nav, that’s the way I’d prefer it, by a country mile:

- Map updates with AA or CP are instant and frequent - no waiting a year to see the new road on your maps.

- SW upgrades are frequent, transparent, and much appreciated.

- I can use the maps on my phone when I get out of the car.

- NO CHARGE for upgrades and maps. The car mfrs. treat map updates (free from Google or Apple Maps) as a profit center and charge up to hundreds of dollars for annual updates.

- Much of the factory nav SW (such as BMW) is bloody awful and the instructions are translated from metric, so you get things like “in 700 yards, bear left…”.

- Factory nav updates are a PIA to install, so most people never bother. I’d bet that 90% of factory nav systems are running on years-old maps and SW.

Once Garmin and others started delivering really good nav devices, the factory nav system was immediately at its end of life - the only remaining advantage of factory nav was screen size. Now that you can use the car display and don’t need a single-purpose gadget, there is no reason on earth to pay outlandish amounts of money for factory nav.

To net it out, every guy I’ve ever discussed it with in the last 15 years (quite a few bar conversations) hates factory navigation in cars, because it is obsolete in a couple of years and never as good as free alternatives.

This is spot-on. I have never seen a factory nav system that was not crap, especially compared to my iPhone. Heck, the map update software that is required every few years for factory nav is half the price of a new phone. Wa?

CarPlay for the win.

Also replied very similar.
No nav is a positive for me also. Phone/google maps + android auto + huge screen is way better than any built in nav or over the counter garmin etc.

What about those of us who just don't want to walk around for the rest of our lives with an appendage attached to our upper limb called a smart phone? Us who just don't crave that little dopamine botox all day long or feel as if we were missing something?

Like myself, for example? Being perfectly happy with my Nokia C3-01 candy bar?

I'd actually like to see a native nav option in my EV smart phone owners do not have to use, since they have their superior/updated ones.

Just a thought, folks.

iletric said:
What about those of us who just don't want to walk around for the rest of our lives with an appendage attached to our upper limb called a smart phone? Us who just don't crave that little dopamine botox all day long or feel as if we were missing something?

Like myself, for example? Being perfectly happy with my Nokia C3-01 candy bar?

I'd actually like to see a native nav option in my EV smart phone owners do not have to use, since they have their superior/updated ones.

Just a thought, folks.

Then my suggestion is that they allow the USB or other connection from an aftermarket nav package to use the 10.2 inch screen. And or have an option for nav. As a singular add on. Most of the time they don't have this it's part of a package. My personal opinion is I only ever need a nav package if I drive out of my state. Otherwise I NEVER use. Just my 2 cents.

I hardly ever used it as well - back in my '11 Leaf time. There was only so many strange places you could get to in that car.

As far as plugging in an external item, I'd just rather have a built in, no matter how precise or updated/outdated it is datawise. We have it in Kia Soul EV, had it in Leaf, even Spark as far as I remember. It was basically part of the package.

Bolt entertainment interface is sucky as it is, so nothing surprises me at that end.

I never use the Nav feature as such in my Leaf, after a few tries that ended badly, but I do use the map feature often, and would miss that in a car lacking it.

Posatronic said:
Then my suggestion is that they allow the USB or other connection from an aftermarket nav package to use the 10.2 inch screen.
They do - it's called "Android Auto" or "Car Play".

If Garmin or Magellan aren't working on a headless GPS unit that can use one of these protocols for its UI then they're going to be relegated to the dustbin of history.

mikecolias said:
I'm a reporter at the Wall Street Journal in Detroit, looking to speak with any Bolt owner or prospective buyer about navigation. The Bolt doesn't come with embedded nav (though it's available thru Android/CarPlay, & turn-by-turn thru OnStar). Does not having factory-installed nav matter to you? Please email: [email protected]. Thanks

Doesn't matter to me.

I seldom use Navigation in the 1st place and, when I do need to use it, Google maps connected via Android Auto works well enough for me.

A side benefit of no built-in Nav I believe is the lower cost of the car (by not needing to include a Nav system) and the elimination of Nav data obsolescence and the need for updates, which I experienced in other cars.

There's an awful Nav system in my BMW that I NEVER use. I just mount my Samsung S5 in a phone holder and run Google maps for Nav instead. So, the Nav "integration" is a lot better in the Bolt than it is in my BMW. LOL!

The Nav system in my Mercedes isn't much better than the BMW's but I just got that car and haven't had a chance to fully explore it yet but my initial impression is the same as w/the BMW. Better to just use the S5 w/Google maps instead.

No Nav in my MR2 or F250. Just have to use a printed MAP or hookup the S5 for Nav in them as well.

If you really want navigation and don't want to use a smart phone, then use OnStar nav.
Probably cheaper than the annual cost of most car companies' nav updates.

I took couple of guys in my car and everyone was impressed with Android Auto. In my opinion, there is no one to beat Google Maps. Kudoos to Chevy for opening up to CarPlay and AndroidAuto.

Be aware you can get the Onstar navigation "a la carte", don't need to subscribe to the who deal to get it.

That's what we intend to do. My wife absolutely loves being able to punch the button, talk to someone, and have the destination entered into the car automatically.

I bought that Blu phone from amazon for $50 and I leave that plugged in through the center armrest storage (nice place for the wire to go through without pinching).

Since I have unlimited, I just share the internet from my regular cell phone to this one. Works fine and it acts like a built in unit now - I never have to touch it.

I guess it would have been nice to have a built-in option (beyond that horrid voice nav one) but I agree with the sentiment that most manufacturer's offerings are pretty bad.

Thanks for all of the responses ...here's the story:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/a-chevy-bolt-gets-you-there-but-youll-need-a-smartphone-to-show-you-how-1492340402

A Chevy Bolt Gets You There, but You’ll Need a Smartphone to Show You How

By Mike Colias
April 16, 2017 7:00 a.m. ET
57 COMMENTS
Aiming to please the tech-savvy buyers of Chevrolet’s new Bolt electric car, General Motors Co. GM -1.62% equipped it with a 4G Wi-Fi connection and a 10-inch touch screen. But GM left out one feature that not long ago was a must-have for many car buyers: built-in navigation.

Nearly all but the cheapest budget cars sold in the U.S. are offered with factory-installed navigation at least as an add-on. Its absence on the $37,500 Bolt is unusual—and the latest sign that the ubiquity of smartphones is fundamentally altering how drivers get around.

Many car owners are taking advantage of larger smartphone screens by mounting them on the dash or even clutching them in their hand to monitor a route while driving. Citing safety risks, car companies in the last two years have responded by equipping vehicles with Apple Inc.’s AAPL -0.53% CarPlay or Google’s Android Auto, which allow drivers to plug their smartphones into a USB to display the phone’s maps, music and other street-legal features in the dash.

It is “not as much of a have-to-have feature as it was a few years ago,” said Mike Luner, a general manager at a Fiat Chrysler Automobiles dealership owned by Del Grande Dealer Group in Northern California. FCA continues to offer built-in navigation across its lineup.

Jeff Hawkins, co-founder of hand-held device maker Palm Inc., bought a Bolt recently and says the lack of onboard navigation doesn’t bother him because he prefers to use Google Maps on his Android phone. Mr. Hawkins, now a neuroscientist, said the Google system offers “superior design, routing and real-time advantages” to factory navigation.

Built-in navigation systems have advantages. Because they use a GPS module and software wired into the car, they don’t rely on a wireless connection. That eliminates the risk of losing access if a signal drops, and minimizes the need to drain smartphone data plans by using a navigation app.

Still, the car companies’ systems have endured tough criticism for not being updated in real time, requiring dealer support for updates and lacking crowdsourcing advantages offered by systems such as Alphabet Inc.’s GOOGL -0.15% Waze app.

Waze, for example, aggregates users’ location data to detect backups and route drivers around traffic. Apple Maps lets users find nearby restaurants and book a reservation through OpenTable.

GM figured Bolt buyers are savvy and comfortable using the Apple or Google system, company spokesman Vijay Iyer said. He said the car also comes with GM’s OnStar concierge system, providing vocal turn-by-turn directions as another option.

GM doesn’t plan to phase out navigation offerings in other vehicle lines. The company plans to eventually integrate additional location-based features on the Bolt, which comes with a $7,500 federal income-tax rebate for electric car purchases. For example, CEO Mary Barra last year raised the possibility of a feature that would help Bolt drivers find the most efficient route between charging stations to optimize battery life.

While they aren’t the moneymakers they once were, factory navigation systems still rake in profits. Research firm IHS Markit estimates the systems cost auto makers roughly $450 on average, while consumers pay between $500 and $1,200. A stand-alone guidance system may have commanded $2,000 five years ago, but they are increasingly being bundled into technology packages that include everything from backup cameras to heated seats.

Analysts expect margins to shrink further as more consumers discover CarPlay and Android Auto. Introduced less than two years ago, those systems are available in nearly a quarter of vehicles produced in North America, IHS estimates. By 2020, that number is expected to grow to 62%.

Even if today’s drivers are finding less reason to pay more for factory navigation, car companies and suppliers aren’t giving up on them. That is because the self-driving vehicles of the future will need high-definition maps to navigate roadways.

As autonomous vehicle usage grows, companies are expected to layer in smarter mapping features based on more accurate imagery.

The systems will become “more granular and sophisticated,” James Etheridge, a spokesman with Berlin-based mapping company Here Global BV, said. Here’s maps will be “connected to the guts of the car in a way that smartphones simply are not.”

Back