EldRick

grey grilles on black car - alternatives?

Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:37 pm

I've got a black Bolt, and don't care for the grey front "grilles".

I'm thinking of either buying the black ones that other colors use, or just spraying them black to match the car.

Has anyone done either of these tweaks on a black Bolt? Got pix?

boltage

Re: grey grilles on black car - alternatives?

Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:54 pm

Some people (with other cars or trucks) use spray rubber (e.g. Plasti Dip) to "paint" specific car or truck parts (like grilles, bumpers, wheels) black. It is supposed to be easily removable if you decide you want to have the stock appearance back.

Patronus

Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:33 pm

Some colors come with black grilles (see the chevy website for the list). Maybe you could swap with an owner who wants your color and has black?

EldRick

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:21 am

Good thought - anyone with Titanium or other color want to work a swap?

Otherwise, I'm planning to have a body shop spray them to match the black car.

boltage

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:42 am

Another option is to wait until some crashed (in the side or rear) cars show up in salvage yards and see if the grilles are available for less there.

But you may want to try the spray rubber first to see how you like it, since it can be removed if you do not like it.

EldRick

Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:12 pm

I've used Plastidip - both spray and dip versions. The dip-in-it version is much more durable, while the spray stuff comes off easily with a fingernail, and I don't care for the look on a car.
I think shiny black matching the car color would be fine.

Wookie

Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:46 pm

I feel the same way. So disappointed that the black grilles are not even an option on black car.

I'm gonna wrap mine - probably in carbon fibre. If I don't like it, I can peel it off and wrap it in gloss black.

BoltPatrick

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Yea what is Chevrolet thinking putting a fake silver grille in a black EV. I almost bought a silver Bolt to get the black grille but if I had a silver Bolt I'd want the silver grille. I'd like to know the ratio of folks who prefer a silver grille in their black Bolt vs black. Anyone want to trade? I'll do the research and work and guarantee perfection. I'm in Livermore, CA.

Keep your Bolt charged. You never know when OJ may need another lyft

bro19991

Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 am

Yep, black on black definitely looks sharper.
I don't like the grey grill on an orange Bolt either.

EldRick

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:16 pm

I asked the dealer body shop about replacing or spraying the "grilles" on my "black" Bolt.

They said that the black replacement grille would not match the car because the car has "sparkle" in the paint (I don't recall the technical term). They also told me that to match the paint by spraying the grilles they would have to spray the whole front of the car, to fade in the change in the sparkle, so it would match that part of the car near it.

First time I've ever had a body shop advise me not to have work done, so it seems credible.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”