elpwr

Re: Bolt Front Seats Recall Media Campaign

Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:47 pm

I would characterize my Premier seats as somewhat narrow and firm, but only slightly uncomfortable for me.

I installed a piece of high density foam under the drivers cushion. This has been described in another thread here. I'd now change my rating of the seat from acceptable to very good. A piece of foam costing only a few dollars and taking maybe 30 minutes to install. Anyone unhappy with the seat should certainly try this easy fix.

There is never going to be a recall for the seats. Recalls are for safety issues and seat comfort is just not applicable. GM may improve the seats in next year's model. Hopefully it won't take them as long as the 2 1/2 years it took Tesla to come up with improved seats.

flamaest

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Agreed, I also installed a piece of high density foam under the drivers cushion. it works very well. If someone figures out how to get into the seat back, I can finish my modifications to insert foam into this area.

I expect a tsunami of nationwide owners complaining about the same thing. GM will not change anything, so if you just hate the seats, I am sure they will make it all better in about 4 months, just in time for the 2018 Bolt.....

scbolt

Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:40 pm

For those of you putting a piece of high density foam below the seat bottom, roughly how thick a foam are you using? And what is the size?

Have any of you been able to put some softer foam layer below the left EDGE of the driver seat? That's where it hurts me the most.

elpwr

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:47 pm

I cut a 12"x13" piece off of one end of this exercise mat:

https://www.target.com/p/premium-exerci ... nk=sametab

I'm sure you could find similar foam elsewhere for less.

Put a slit about 5" long in the center of the 12' side and work the piece up under the seat foam with the heater wire in the slit. Then pull the seat cover back in place, smooth it down and reattach the clips. There's very little difference in the appearance of the modified seat and the original.

But it seems the 1/2" added height helps to slightly flatten the bolsters as well as soften the center section. All around more comfortable.

iletric

Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:48 am

I can only hope Mary Barra is reading your fix-up comments. I know she is not sweating it ... yet.

However, Leaf 2 is just around the corner and I think she'll be sweating it then, because it will eat into her Bolt sales. I foresee a big dip starting Jan 2018, improved seats or not.

Bottom line, I think she cares at this point more about her SUVs and trucks than this Bolt experiment or electrification.

flamaest

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:17 am

Many of us are original bolt owners from California. I have had my bolt for almost a year now. Trust me, GM does not care. We've already been round and round with their customer service people, phone calls, customer surveys , emails. Nobody cares.

Also, not to burst any bubbles, but the Nissan Leaf generation 2 will not have the range anywhere near the bolt. I'm not so sure it will be eating into lots of sales. That's just my opinion, but I buy an electric car for its range mainly.

LeftieBiker

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:15 am

Also, not to burst any bubbles, but the Nissan Leaf generation 2 will not have the range anywhere near the bolt. I'm not so sure it will be eating into lots of sales. That's just my opinion, but I buy an electric car for its range mainly.

It all comes down to how many people care about range most, and how many - like me - just want at least 140 miles of range in a comfortable, sophisticated, affordable car. The Bolt has become my "last resort car" instead of being my #1 choice, as it was for a few months, because it doesn't seem to be very comfortable or sophisticated, and the leases are terrible for those looking to eventually buy their car. If the 2018 Bolt comes out in a few weeks with the seats fixed, Surround View offered on the LT, (or the Premiere at least offered with nice comfortable cloth seats), I might actually drive one. I'm not happy pre-ordering a Leaf 2 without driving one, but I at least know the seats won't be terrible and I will be able to get the options I want in the mid-trim SV. I'll also be able to buy the car after leasing it, if I love it.
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

alevek

Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:45 am

Have 1000 mi in my Premier. Seats are fine for me.

iletric

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:13 pm

flamaest wrote:...Nissan Leaf generation 2 will not have the range anywhere near the Bolt.

That may not be entirely correct. We expect a 45 and a 60 kWh options, the latter of which will match Bolt.

Nissan is not that stupid as to introduce a car intended for at least 5 model years that cannot compete. You can bet your lifesavers Leaf 2 will be a couple of miles EPA better than Bolt, earning the necessary bragging rights to flatten the ego of the nearest competition.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”