2k mile update - still loving it

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fargoneandout

Zero regrets or complaints. Completed JD Powers survey this week claiming neither defects nor anything other than complete satisfaction. Lifetime efficiency is 4.2 miles/kW, e.g. 252 miles per full charge. Cannot recall what I claimed before and too lazy to look, but I'd say that 10% of my driving is pure city, 15% is California highway, and 75% is 40 - 60 mph suburban stoplight-land. All at temps above 40 and below 80F.

Nothing to add or subtract from past views expressed here in terms of my satisfaction. Quick, agile, comfortable, and quiet, the Bolt EV continues to give me a smile every time I drive it. And I sold my 3-series BMW last weekend after many days of alternate driving.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 8,172
San Diego. No trips longer than 50 miles so far. All my charging has been a lazy 110V at either 8 or, at work, 12 amps. Sorry for the delayed reply. Boards are slow and I only check in infrequently now.

My gut tells me that at 80 mph my range would be around 150 miles. I've done a bunch of trips at California freeway speed down to the airport and back and I seem to use about 1.5 miles of range or so for every actual mile traveled. At 50-60 mph the range is about 1 for 1.

Fargoneandout said:
And I sold my 3-series BMW last weekend after many days of alternate driving.

Say it isn't so!!! :eek:

LOL!!! :lol:

Kidding aside, if just driving the Bot does it for you, great! Personally, my driving needs and interests vary too much and I would absolutely hate being limited to driving just one type of vehicle.

I also have too much money "invested" in and enjoy driving my 335i too much, on those rare occasions that I actually drive it, to give it up. In fact, I'm planning to put another $1-2k into the BMW to upgrade the front suspension w/M3 parts.

There's no end of how much $ you can blow on a car if you view it as a "project" or "hobby" car, as I do my Beemer. ;)

PS: I've put 1700 miles on my Bolt and love driving it when and as I do too. My range is only averaging around 200 but it's enough to avoid needing to recharge the car more than a week or 2 (or 3) at a time.

Fargoneandout said:
...My gut tells me that at 80 mph my range would be around 150 miles. I've done a bunch of trips at California freeway speed down to the airport and back and I seem to use about 1.5 miles of range or so for every actual mile traveled. At 50-60 mph the range is about 1 for 1.
I don't know, I have a lot of 80+ mph driving where I live and I'm still getting over 200 on my range. Although I do rarely touch that physical brake, so that may have something to do with it.

gbobman said:
Fargoneandout said:
...My gut tells me that at 80 mph my range would be around 150 miles. I've done a bunch of trips at California freeway speed down to the airport and back and I seem to use about 1.5 miles of range or so for every actual mile traveled. At 50-60 mph the range is about 1 for 1.
I don't know, I have a lot of 80+ mph driving where I live and I'm still getting over 200 on my range. Although I do rarely touch that physical brake, so that may have something to do with it.

I "cruise" at 75-85 mph on the freeway and on my only 150 mile RT into SF in the Bolt, my estimated range driving at these speeds most of the way without an in-town top off, was about 180-185 miles.

Probably enough to make it into town and back w/o an in-town top-off but I wouldn't risk it w/only about a 30-35 miles to spare. based on an estimated 217 miles of range, which is down to around 205 now with more short trips on the freeway locally that would only give me a real mileage buffer of only 20 miles or so. Better to just spend 1/2 hour to get a 40-50 mile bump from an available DCFC charger before heading home.

Here's a link to the report: http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6060&p=18101#p18101

I actually just drove the Bolt down to 36 miles of remaining range on a local drive to Stockton this weekend -- had to take an unanticipated detour because Hwy 4 was closed between Discovery Bay and Stockton -- and my GF couldn't stop looking at the range estimate to make sure we had enough to make it home. LOL!!

I was sure that we did but I knew that we did but that was based on experience that she didn't have. I assume a few more drives into the City would probably make me more complacent about driving into town and back w/o a top off but I always believe in "better safe than sorry" and even in my ICE vehicles, I always refill when down only 1/2 a tank.

So, I'll continue topping off the Bolt in the City even though I probably don't actually need to do so.

Just hit lifetime of 4.3 miles per kW. Zero regrets. In other posts and threads here I expressed many of the same conclusions drawn by the author of the following review, who happens to drive a Model S, in particular the composed ride, the snappy acceleration, and the squirrelly handling upon WOT.

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/05/18/24-hours-with-the-2017-chevy-bolt/

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 7,585
sgt1372 said:
Personally, my driving needs and interests vary too much and I would absolutely hate being limited to driving just one type of vehicle.

I also have too much money "invested" in and enjoy driving my 335i too much, on those rare occasions that I actually drive it, to give it up. In fact, I'm planning to put another $1-2k into the BMW to upgrade the front suspension w/M3 parts.

There's no end of how much $ you can blow on a car if you view it as a "project" or "hobby" car, as I do my Beemer. ;)

Me too. Sadly, the new crop of crossovers and SUV's remind me of driving my dad's 1985 Lincoln Continental. Numb and boring to drive. My EV isn't much different, just another boat of a different length. I'm not saying that the EV experience isn't great, and I do appreciate the zen-like quiet, smooth power delivery, and filling it with electrons from my roof; only that the BMW enthusiast in me recognizes that (most) EV's aren't designed to be ultimate driving machines. I enjoy BMW's too much to give them up, even if I don't drive them that often. I get advantages of "zero maintenance" but it's fun to breath new life into older cars, and enjoy them. BMW 330's are built for drivers. The Chevy Bolt is built for Uber drivers. To each their own I guess. The OP love's his Bolt, and that's all that matters. Whatever floats your boat.

I recently picked up a friend's 2008 X3 3.0 that needs about $2K and a couple weekends of work, but will look & run like a new BMW when I'm finished with it. It's the prescription for my winter range anxiety.

Back