gbobman

Re: BOLT SEAT ISSUE - no DATA thread

Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:04 pm

I used a Champion C9 exercise mat (from Target) trimmed to 13" x 13.5" with a slit for the center of the rear edge aprox 4" long to accommodate the seat heater cable inside the cushion. I didn't mind the seat before but have to admit it is even better now.
2017 Chevy Bolt LT (1st EV!)
2004 Chevy Monte Carlo SS
(found a new home :cry: )

Tttait

Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:09 am

currypotter wrote:
Sorry GM, lost sale.

That's maybe a little dramatic at this point.

I agree GM has supplied a crappy seat, I think they will revise them, but if you can't wait, fixing the seat takes 15 minutes and a few bucks in materials. If you can't do it yourself any upholstery shop can if you print out the thread. Don't let them charge you a thousand, it's an EASY and cheap fix to get the seat however you like it.

If you like the car, get it, and tune it to your liking. I'm very happy now, happier than if I bought any other car. You can be too.

LeftieBiker

Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:36 am

fixing the seat takes 15 minutes

That's fixing the bottom cushion padding. There isn't a fix yet for back padding, and you can't fix the too-small-for-many seat dimensions. Someone should force-feed that lead design engineer donuts and margarine for two moths, and then force him to drive in one of his seats for 12 hours straight. ;-(
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

DoninLAlaland

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:34 am

Do not know whether anyone else on this forum received one, but I received a survey from GM asking me for feedback about the Bolt. Here's the opening statement: "Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Peter Thom, and I am responsible for Quality at GM in North America. Our goal at GM is to provide our valued customers like yourself with nothing less than the best ownership experience." I answer the survey and talked a lot about how crappy the front seat is, how terrible my experience was dealing with the dealer from whom I leased the car and with GM Customer Service to address the seat issue, how I had to go to another dealer to swap out the seat, and how crappy the suspension is on the car (on a road with the slightest of bumps, you must slow down significantly or it's like a ride at Disneyland!).

Perhaps if enough of us answer these surveys, GM/Chevy will take some action. If you get one, be very frank. I was.

Allelectric

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Ignoring the fact that after spending 47k Canadian on a car, i have to "fix" the drivers seat. If only it was just a 15 minute fix. As already mentioned the seat back is a problem nobody has come up with a solution for and the overall issue is the seat is simply too narrow in the base and seat back. No amount of extra padding in either base or seat back solves that design fault.
I accept also that some people find the seat ok but many do not and Chevy are at best silent on it. People have taken the plunge and invested in their venture. They should at least show some kind of support for those people who have committed to being the early adopters of their venture.

tirpitz

Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:52 pm

Yesterday I did the Chevy test drive where they bring a Bolt to your house for a 30 minute drive. I'm in the market because I have a lease that expires at the end of the summer. We have a BMW i3 under lease so we already have a level 2 charger and I am familiar with electric cars.

This program is a very smart move by Chevy. The car was the top trim, fully loaded- something you'd expect when they are showing off what the car can do. The gentleman that brought it was very knowledgable about the car and most of the competitors. I was able to drive it on the streets I'm most familiar with.

Having read this forum a ton I was very interested in how the seats felt. And I'm forced to say the seats were terrible. I'm 6'2" but thin and I could feel the side bit digging into my hips. The lower part of the seat back was also not comfortable after 20 minutes in the car. Perhaps that could have been adjusted away. I didn't have time to try.

Just based on the seats I would not buy a Bolt.

Other than the seats the only negatives I could see where that the touch screen is a bit laggy, something I find common in automotive touch screens, and that it is front wheel drive with the resulting torque steer if you hammered it. The interior is not as nice as what the i3 has but our similarly equipped i3 stickers $12,000 above the top end Bolt so that is not really a fair comparison.

On the plus side I thought it had plenty of power. Handling was good for a front wheel drive platform. The Bose sound system had promise and was doing a lot right. The overall package is pretty good for a small car. But they really need to do something with the seats. They are not acceptable in an 80 mile ranged EV and certainly not right for one that can do 238 miles.

cab

Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:13 pm

EVs are very niche vehicles at this point, and I suspect the average EV purchaser is doing WAY more research into his/her purchase than a typical ICE buyer (although the average buyer does, um, ZERO research into their next car so that may not be saying much). Regardless, I have to believe the whole "seat issue" is going to start showing up in miscellaneous Google searches for the Bolt and stain the car...tick, tock GM...tick tock.

DoninLAlaland

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:17 pm

tirpitz wrote:Yesterday I did the Chevy test drive where they bring a Bolt to your house for a 30 minute drive. I'm in the market because I have a lease that expires at the end of the summer. We have a BMW i3 under lease so we already have a level 2 charger and I am familiar with electric cars..

Wow, Tirpitz, I didn't even know Chevy had a program where you could drive the Bolt for 30 minutes. How did you find out about it? The dealer didn't tell me about that option before I began my lease. Is Chevy telling the dealers about this option? Thanks!

michael

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:27 pm

If you live in Los Angeles or other major cities you can rent a Bolt by the hour. It's available on Maven which is like zipcar.

I took one for the day, decided I didn't like it. It cost me maybe $100 but it saved me three years of driving a car I didn't like.
2013 Ford Focus Electric 51000 miles in 34 months, returned
2014 Volt, returned
2014 Volt, returned,

2017 Volt
2017 Volt
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”