k0an

Re: BOLT SEAT ISSUE - no DATA thread

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:21 pm

elpwr wrote:I cannot, for the life of me, understand why people don't do this simple mod. It only takes a few minutes and costs maybe $5. If you can't do it, I'm sure an upholstery shop could follow the YouTube video and do it for you.

How about the seat back? That is poking me in the back and I'd like to put padding there too.

k0an

Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:22 pm

I've started a Change.org petition so we can all consolidate our feedback into one place to maximize our visibility. Please sign and spread the word!
http://chn.ge/2xwEBVx

iletric

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:53 am

elpwr wrote:Maybe in a couple of years Chevrolet will offer a similar $8200 fix for the early Bolt seats.
Ha-ha! Gotta love it...

boltage

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:29 pm

k0an wrote:How about the seat back? That is poking me in the back and I'd like to put padding there too.

Yes, there can be a strange feeling in the seat back, depending on how you sit in it.

Try adjusting the seat back angle slightly. I noticed that being slightly too reclined makes it feel strange, but moving it one notch more upright makes it no longer feel strange.

elpwr

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:39 pm

There’s also a YouTube video on how to add additional padding to the seat back. It’s a little more involved but not really that hard to do.

I sat in two recent build (October 17) Bolts at my dealer. They both definitely have more padding in the seat cushion than the earlier cars. Maybe Chevy has made a minor running modification. The “seat complainers” probably should try a newer one for comparison.

Collimare

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:30 pm

I have had mine a week now with a couple hundred miles in the seat. I am 6'2" 185 and while it is not the best seat I have been in I don't find it that bad. I have over the years swapped out a number of seats in old VWs. There are a plethora of aftermarkets seats (Recaro, Corbeau etc.) and well as used seats that with the right motivation could probably be adapted to the Bolt. I usually found a used Porsche seat (914, 912, 911) that I really found comfortable, had it reupholstered and made made adapter rails for it. Remove the Bolt seat and take it to a good specialty upholstery shop and have them pad it the way you want. In Denver I would suggest Auto Weave Upholstery as they have done really good work for me in the past. If it was that big and issue or gets that way for me the car is worth it to just have the seat replaced or re-padded. Maybe GM will come out with a better seat and provide a cost effective upgrade path. NOT

DesertSprings

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:27 am

Where do I find the build date? I just picked mine up yesterday and put 60 miles on it today, no issues with the seat other than the back being a slightly weird shape so I had to recline the seat slightly further back than I would have preferred? 5'11", 190lbs, wide hips.

Update: 10/17 build date.
Last edited by DesertSprings on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SeanNelson

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:14 am

DesertSprings wrote:Where do I find the build date?

It's on the "B" pillar (the pillar between the driver's door and the rear passenger door). There should be at least two stickers near the bottom of that pillar - one that shows the recommended tire pressures (on my car that sticker is on the forward-facing part of the pillar) and one that shows the gross vehicular weights (on my car that sticker is on the side-facing part of the pillar). The latter sticker has the build date in month/year format (i.e., "09/17") on the third line, below "Manufactured by General Motors LLC".

If you give your VIN to the service or parts department, they'll be able to tell you the actual date that the vehicle was built, not just the month and year.

DesertSprings

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks. 10/17 build date.

Chargeit

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:29 pm

We just got our Bolt last week and I was a bit surprised to see all the negative comments about the seats. I'm 5'11", 190 lbs and they seem OK to me. Could they be a bit wider? Yes. I can feel the side wings pressing my shoulder blades but it's nowhere near a deal breaker. Maybe Chevy listened to the complaints and added more padding. Our build date was also 10/17 and we have the cloth seats.
2) 2015 Spark EVs and 1) 2017 Bolt EV!

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”