CCS chargers now at Bolt EV (Chevrolet) dealerships!!!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 667

Chevrolet.com allows you to filter for dealerships that are certified to sell and service the Bolt EV. I called the service departments several of the Bolt EV dealers and they ALL told me that they had received their new CCS chargers, these were small town dealerships not big city dealerships. The dealerships all told that they had not installed their CCS chargers yet and may not until this Fall when there is a nation wide rollout of the Bolt EV.

Apparently Chevrolet made the dealerships pay for the CCS chargers before the dealerships would be allowed to sell and service Bolt EVs. I don't know a lot of information about the CCS chargers yet but I believe the CCS chargers are going to be managed by ChargePoint and they will have a maximum output of 25kW. There is a picture of a new CCS charger at Connell Chevrolet on PlugShare and it looks identical to the 25 kW Chargepoint chargers BMW has been using but I plan to go to one of the local Bolt EV dealerships this weekend and get a first hand look at the CCS charger.

25 kW may not be all that impressive but it's still over three times faster than the standard 7.2 kW L2 charger. I have been registering the Bolt EV dealerships on PlugShare.com as CCS stations but there are over one thousand certified Bolt EV sales and service dealerships in the United States and I don't plan to register them all. If you know of a few Bolt EV dealerships that aren't already registered as CCS stations please go into PlugShare.com and register them yourself.

I believe the Bolt EV dealership CCS chargers are the ChargePoint Express 100 model, https://www.chargepoint.com/files/datasheets/ds-cpe100.pdf. The Express 100 charger is a 480V, 32 amp, 3-phase input charger that can charge at 24 kW. I've read several places that the installed cost of the Express 100 is less than $15,000 which is about half the cost I've read for installation of a 50 kW, ChargePoint Express 200 charger.

PlugShare imposed censorship again and deleted many of the Bolt EV dealerships I added. At least I know the chargers are there even if PlugShare refuses to accept it. In this case PlugShare has performed a serious disservice to it's users.

Funny they'll "censor" that but I have to see EVERY Nissan dealership I am not able to use.

BoltWanabee said:
PlugShare imposed censorship again and deleted many of the Bolt EV dealerships I added. At least I know the chargers are there even if PlugShare refuses to accept it. In this case PlugShare has performed a serious disservice to it's users.
Are they hooked up and available to to use?

Many dealerships will install them in the Service Area and not make them available to the general public, and certainly not outside of business hours. Showing chargers that are not available once you get there is a greater disservice :p

DucRider said:
Are they hooked up and available to to use?

I made it very clear that the chargers were not operational yet. I'm going to wait a few months until they hook up those chargers and then I'm going to add them ALL back in PlugShare and more. PlugShare needs to get use to the idea that we are going to need to add over a thousand new CCS chargers to their database by the end of the year.

I didn't lie, those chargers really exist!!! Call your local your local certified Bolt EV sales and service Chevrolet dealership if you don't believe me and ask them if they have received their CCS chargers. Then, when the dealerships tell you they do have the CCS chargers, email PlugShare and tell them you want the Bolt EV sales and service dealerships added as CCS stations to the PlugShare database. PlugShare is suppose to promote EV adoption, deleting valid EV charger stations is doing a disservice to the promotion of electric vehicles.

But PlugShare is for listing chargers available to the public now, not chargers that may be installed in 6-36 months. Possibly not even publicly available then. The dealer I bought my Bolt from doesn't have publicly available EVSEs, I'm not sure about the closer one I plan to go to for service but they aren't listed on PlugShare so I doubt they are available to the public either.

mikegrb said:
But PlugShare is for listing chargers available to the public now, not chargers that may be installed in 6-36 months. Possibly not even publicly available then. The dealer I bought my Bolt from doesn't have publicly available EVSEs, I'm not sure about the closer one I plan to go to for service but they aren't listed on PlugShare so I doubt they are available to the public either.

36 months ... why did you even buy a Bolt? You don't seem to believe in electric vehicles or the people that sell them. Maybe you should turn in the Bolt and tell the dealer you don't really believe in electric vehicles.

PlugShare is inconsistent in the way they deal with charging stations that get posted. I've seen them delete a lot of very valuable operational stations and leave some very dubious even abandoned stations. PlugShare does not appear to care about the needs and desires of the users and the reasons why they do things is very unclear.

The availability of CCS chargers at dealerships is a very valuable selling point for the Bolt EV, any dealer that doesn't understand that is an idiot! The dealers I've talked to about using their CCS chargers were more than happy for me to use it. Maybe PlugShare deleted your dealer's listing like they have done with so many other important listings.

Dealerships reflect the people that work for them. The people at some dealerships very resistant to support owners after the cars are purchased while others want to be your life long friend. It sounds like your are really good at finding very resistant dealers or maybe the way you talk to them upsets them.

(IMO) PlugShare should only have listings for places where chargers are installed for public use. If a charger has been purchased, but not installed, it shouldn't be listed (it isn't available). If a charger has been installed but is only for use by the dealer and not to the public, then it shouldn't be listed. it does no good to anyone to have a DCFC listed if everyone who drives up for a charge is told 'sorry, you can't use it, it is only for the use of our business'.

SparkE said:
(IMO) PlugShare should only have listings for places where chargers are installed for public use. If a charger has been purchased, but not installed, it shouldn't be listed (it isn't available). If a charger has been installed but is only for use by the dealer and not to the public, then it shouldn't be listed. it does no good to anyone to have a DCFC listed if everyone who drives up for a charge is told 'sorry, you can't use it, it is only for the use of our business'.

Who made you the PlugShare police? Most of what you stated is not what PlugShare does. There are tons of charger listed that are not for public use that's why PlugShare has the restricted button.

The very big advantage of showing the Bolt EV sales and service locations is that it shows the vast CCS charging infrastructure available for the Bolt EV. A thousand new CCS chargers is really going to fill the PlugShare map and make the Tesla Supercharger map look pretty Spartan. These aren't planned chargers, these are chargers that have been purchased, are at the dealerships and are ready to be installed.

You know what, I'm getting sick of this. I tried to do something good for the Bolt EV community by identifying the dealer CCS stations on PlugShare and PlugShare disrespected me. Then I tried to get some support and sympathy for this forum for what PlugShare did to me and all I got was criticism.

With such diverse personalities in the EV community it's no wonder EV adoption is have such a hard time.

BoltWanabee said:
The very big advantage of showing the Bolt EV sales and service locations is that it shows the vast CCS charging infrastructure available for the Bolt EV.
A "vast CCS charging infrastructure available for the Bolt EV" would not include dealer chargers not available to the public, any more than it would include Telsa superchargers. Sure, they're chargers, but what does it matter if you can't use them?

It looks like we all missed the point completely.

There is obviously a great benefit to the Bolt (and EV communities in general) by listing locations where CCS chargers are stored in boxes, not hooked up, and not available for use.

Can we find the address of the warehouse they are shipped from and put the inventory on Plugshare?
It would be great to show that there was a single location with HUNDREDS of CCS chargers!!!
Even better if we can find multiple warehouse locations!!!!!!
Maybe we can list ALL the locations where CCS chargers are stored before shipment and/or installation. That would be super impressive and hugely beneficial for those looking to charge their EV!!!!!!

SeanNelson said:
A "vast CCS charging infrastructure available for the Bolt EV" would not include dealer chargers not available to the public, any more than it would include Telsa superchargers.

Maybe if you live on East or West coast you don't need dealer chargers but for the vast majority of middle America dealer chargers will be the ONLY fast charging network for the Bolt for a very long time.

Just another note about using dealer CCS chargers.

If you have to or want to drive your Bolt EV from Point A to Point B, the distance is too far without charging and the ONLY fast charging option is to use the CCS charger at the dealer, don't you think that you are going to call the dealer and ask to use their CCS charger. And if the dealer says no, don't you think you are going to beg, plead and negotiate with the dealer to use the CCS charger? Luckily in my experience most dealers are very accommodating to customers and would be more than happy to let you charge especially if they can ask you for money to charge.

BoltWanabee said:
SeanNelson said:
A "vast CCS charging infrastructure available for the Bolt EV" would not include dealer chargers not available to the public, any more than it would include Telsa superchargers.

Maybe if you live on East or West coast you don't need dealer chargers but for the vast majority of middle America dealer chargers will be the ONLY fast charging network for the Bolt for a very long time.

Please explain to us how a non-functioning EVSE still in a box in the corner of a shop is of any benefit to the Bolt driver? See if you can answer that without getting pissed off because we truly don't see the logic in that.
People on the east coast certainly need DCFC anywhere we can find them. There is only one that I know of in the Albany area of NY outside of the Tesla superchargers and destination charger. But they need to be functional to be of any benefit. If you're trying to show that the CCS network is more robust than the Tesla Supercharger network, do as an earlier poster suggested and try to get the CCS manufacturers warehouse listed if it's in the US. You can probably get 1,000 of them stored on pallets.
Good luck

Dgodfrey said:
Please explain to us how a non-functioning EVSE still in a box in the corner of a shop is of any benefit to the Bolt driver?

They won't be in boxes long. The CCS chargers were sent to dealerships even before the dealerships received Bolts EVs to sell and service. Dealerships in states that already sell and service Bolt EVs are already installing their CCS chargers and the remaining dealerships are going to be installing their CCS chargers as soon as there are Bolt EVs in their state to sell and service.

BoltWanabee said:
SeanNelson said:
But they won't be part of the fast charging network at all if they end up being installed in the dealer's service department or in their new car prep/delivery room and not available to the public.

Until we know for sure that the chargers are publicly available there's no point in them being on PlugShare, IMHO.

Back