GetOffYourGas

Re: Bumpy Ride - Stiff Suspension

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:56 pm

sgt1372 wrote:
GernBlanston wrote:To potential buyers:

Be objective about your test drive. Drive for 30 minutes.

If you don't like the car on the test drive, don't buy it. It will not change after you buy it.

This isn't rocket science.

Don't expect sympathy from satisfied Bolt owners because you bought the wrong car and now want to do nothing but gripe about what an awful car it is.

It's not.

Well said.

The trouble is, there are bound to be people who jump into a Bolt just because it's the first 200+ mile EV they can afford. They are so excited to be driving a long-range EV that they forget to consider the car-ness of it all.

I fall into this camp to a degree (although I haven't bought a Bolt - not yet anyway). There are things that bother me about it. The upright seating. The tall roof. The narrow width. Enough things that I've at least put off the purchase to see what else comes along.

But, like others, I am in the market only for an EV. That means I have to make far more compromises than if i were in the market for an ICEV. I'll just try to hold my tongue and keep the complaining to a minimum. We're lucky, after all, just to have options in this space at all!
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

GernBlanston

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:35 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:...like others, I am in the market only for an EV. That means I have to make far more compromises than if i were in the market for an ICEV.

Fair enough. I am coming out of a 160,000 mile VW TDI (a truly great automobile) and was looking for a car that drives nicely with low operating costs. I had convinced myself that I wanted a Volt or a Prius (my 20-year-old daughter & my 80-year-old father are both Prius owners.) The Volt drove nicely, the Prii, not so much. Then my wife made me drive the Bolt and I was sold!
GetOffYourGas wrote:We're lucky, after all, just to have options in this space at all!

^^^TRUTH^^^
If it's not foggy
and your foglights are on
you are a doofus.

DavidBFox

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:39 pm

I didn't just jump to buy the car... I did have a 30 minute test drive in our neighborhood several months earlier. Unfortunately, our streets are in relatively good repair, so I didn't notice the issue until a few days after purchasing. Hey, even our 3-year-old grandson, after being in the car for 5 minutes, said, "Why is the car so bumpy?!" (his parents own a Prius)

That said, I think we're now adapting to the car. We both love it and are happy with our decision. And maybe after 1600 miles, it's loosening up just a bit.

SeanNelson

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:25 pm

GernBlanston wrote:To potential buyers: Be objective about your test drive. Drive for 30 minutes.

Much easier said than done in markets where there are no Bolts available for test drives and you have to order blind and wait for 6 months before even seeing the car.

GernBlanston

Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:29 pm

SeanNelson wrote:Much easier said than done in markets where there are no Bolts available for test drives and you have to order blind and wait for 6 months before even seeing the car.

Dang. That would truly suck. I would have trouble spending 40 grand on something I'd never even sat in. Wow!
If it's not foggy
and your foglights are on
you are a doofus.

Allelectric

Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:15 am

GernBlanston wrote:Drove the Jupiter II a hundred miles yesterday and concentrated on the "problems" with suspension & seats the whole way.
Suspension...? Excellent compromise between absorbing bumps and great feel/handling for a small car packing half a ton of batteries!
Seats...? Firm, supportive, comfortable. I have yet to hear a complaint from a single rider/driver in my car.
The first 4 minutes of my initial test drive told me this.
I'm 5'10", 175 lbs, averaging 40 miles/day, drive an LT, have a Clipper Creek 40 at the house.
To potential buyers:
Be objective about your test drive. Drive for 30 minutes.
If you don't like the car on the test drive, don't buy it. It will not change after you buy it.
This isn't rocket science.
Don't expect sympathy from satisfied Bolt owners because you bought the wrong car and now
want to do nothing but gripe about what an awful car it is. It's not.

30 minute test drive, you don't live in Canada do you ;)
Test drives of any length are still virtually impossible here. Not a demonstrator anywhere in the whole Province of British Columbia to my knowledge. It's not rocket science you are right, it's Mission Impossible here.
I like the ride, I hate the seats. The seats however do not make it an awful car they simply spoil what could be a home run for me. Why do you think people who voice negative "opinions" are looking for sympathy. They are just as valid as positive opinions. And please appreciate that not everyone had or still has the ability to test drive a car at all, never mind for 30 mins plus.

iletric

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:26 am

One from Autoweek's editor, Wes Raynal...

https://insideevs.com/autoweek-chevy-bo ... ctric-car/

Selected quotes:

...(I'm) impressed with the car’s smooth, seamless acceleration and the fact that it exhibits very little body roll (but) the overall ride quality is just too stiff.

“Back to the original premise of the Bolt being a “ 'very good small car.' ” For today’s market, the car’s ride makes me personally dispute that.

elpwr

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 pm

My Tesla Model S ride is not at all soft and Motor Trend reports the new Model 3 has a “decidedly firm ride”. If you want a soft, floppy ride the Leaf might be your only EV choice.

For many of us, Bolts suspension is an excellent compromise between handling and ride comfort. I hope GM makes no changes.

GetOffYourGas

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:22 pm

elpwr wrote:I hope GM makes no changes.

Me too.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

iletric

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:18 am

elpwr wrote:If you want a soft, floppy ride the Leaf might be your only EV choice.

Can't wait for my floppy >200-mile Leaf 2 next year.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”