LeftieBiker

Re: Bumpy Ride - Stiff Suspension

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:13 am

If you want a soft, floppy ride the LEAF might be your only EV choice.

Pleasantly soft, sure, but the mushiness in the handling is from the OEM tires, not the car itself. The Leaf handles well with almost any other tires.
2018 Nissan Leaf SL with Pro Pilot

2009 Vectrix VX-1 with 18 Leaf modules.

GetOffYourGas

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:35 am

iletric wrote:
elpwr wrote:If you want a soft, floppy ride the Leaf might be your only EV choice.

Can't wait for my floppy >200-mile Leaf 2 next year.

Probably won't be too long of a wait. Judging from hints coming from Nissan, it sounds like the 200+ mile Leaf 2 will be available as early as next summer.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

iletric

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:47 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:... it sounds like the 200+ mile Leaf 2 will be available as early as next summer.

That sounds encouraging. Can't wait.

EldRick

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:14 am

I'm hoping that Koni makes their FSD shocks for the Bolt. This would make it softer on bumps, and firmer in roll and pitch.

Short of that, the parts diagram makes the rear shock look like a straight tube with pretty standard ends. Has anyone taken a look at fitting aftermarket shocks to the car?

iletric

Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:21 am

EldRick wrote:I'm hoping that Koni makes their FSD shocks for the Bolt.
Keep an eye on it for us and let us know when it becomes available.

Thanks.

sgt1372

Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:48 pm

EldRick wrote:I'm hoping that Koni makes their FSD shocks for the Bolt. This would make it softer on bumps, and firmer in roll and pitch.

Short of that, the parts diagram makes the rear shock look like a straight tube with pretty standard ends. Has anyone taken a look at fitting aftermarket shocks to the car?

I've got FSDs on my BMW.

I'm planning to swap the fronts out for Koni adjustable yellows because of the "problem" w/FSD valving that is too slow to cope w/abrupt bumps or dips causing it to harshly bottom out and negatively affect steering.

However, on smooth and predictable roadways, the FSDs are fine but just not adaptable enough for high speed driving on rough and less forgiving roads.
My vehicles:

2012 Mercedes ML350 4Matic
2008 BMW 335i
2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder
2002 Ford F250 7.3L 4x4 Longbed Turbodiesel
2000 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet

EldRick

Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:33 pm

...because of the "problem" w/FSD valving that is too slow to cope...

I've never heard of, or experienced, this "problem", and I've had them on a Mini S and a Volvo C30, and I assure you I beat on them hard in our local mountain twisties.
They would be a nice upgrade for a Bolt.

elpwr

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:14 pm

If you don’t like the Bolt’s ride and expect your Tesla Model 3 to be softer riding you might be in for a surprise. Already a 7 page thread in the Tesla forum about the Model 3 “bad ride”.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads ... ty.105757/

iletric

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:48 pm

Not getting Tesla M3. I sit enough hours in front of a screen as it is. Tesla could have kept the Model S, X look.
Stiff is expected.

robbertPatrison

Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:42 am

Coming back to the OP's point: I agree that the Bolt's ride is harsh and very bumpy. It is one of the few gripes I have about the Bolt after 4 months of ownership. Especially on the crappy Silicon Valley roads and highways the I feel like I'm constantly tossed around in 3 dimensions, but mainly left-right.

I suspect that the ride problem is the result of the simple rear axis, short wheel base and the narrow wheel base, all amplified by a higher seating position and barely padded seats. When better shocks become available I will be installing those. On my gen-1 Volt I replaced the stock ECO tires with more comfort-oriented ones and that seems to improve the ride a little (at the expense of a 7% range drop). I might be doing the same with Bolt once the tires wear out, sucking up the range hit to regain some comfort. By the way: the Volt's ride was not great but better that Bolt.

I tried to measure the difference using a smartphone accelerometer app. I drove same road with my wife's Avalon and then with the Bolt, recording acceleration in 3 dimensions. I did not manage to get conclusive results yet, but subjectively the difference is huge. I probably need a better app to test that.

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”